Arizona State AD Ray Anderson steps down..

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It used to be that it looked better to resign than get fired for ADs/coaches. Now with all the coverage it just seems like you are saying, man I really suck at this job and need to quit. I would rather get fired now.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It used to be that it looked better to resign than get fired for ADs/coaches. Now with all the coverage it just seems like you are saying, man I really suck at this job and need to quit. I would rather get fired now.

In coaching you about have to get fired instead of resign to much money on the table. IMO.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Ultimately good for ASU, and therefore good for the new Big 12.

Hope they find a good replacement. Sort of.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
giphy.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Kind of hard to stay on after a merger when you were by far the most prominent voice saying "**** no and **** them" to a merger the whole time. Kind of awkward at that point, no?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Kind of had to - he nearly cost ASU and other Pac 12 schools a comfy home in the the new Big 12 all because he was too busy fellating the Cals and Stanfords.

I'm still not so sure we shouldn't have left them and Utah out, but hopefully they come around and they realize the B12 saved their tail.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I'm still not so sure we shouldn't have left them and Utah out, but hopefully they come around and they realize the B12 saved their tail.

It would not have been very smart for the Big 12 to refuse to take ASU and Utah. UA was tied to ASU. If we didn’t convince ASU to join UA, Big 12 was considering adding UConn. BY closed the deal after two teams headed for the Big. Most likely CU would have been the only PAC defector if the Big would not have added teams. We are a much better conference having added the last three schools and killing the PAC.

ASU is beginning to buy in to their commitment with the Ray Anderson decision. The Big 12 has a lot of history with having a few schools that are “Black Sheep”. Utah and ASU have volunteered to fill that roll in the most recent version. Best thing to do is give them a warm welcome by defeating them in the contests.

Last edited:

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
It's all about being more stable than the ACC remnants in a few years. If we don't take ASU and UU, they absolutely scoop them up with Stanford and Cal, giving them a strong western pod and hurting the Big XII's relative position.

Plus, getting the UA-ASU rivalry (does it have a name?) and The Holy War as conference matchups is huge.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
It's all about being more stable than the ACC remnants in a few years. If we don't take ASU and UU, they absolutely scoop them up with Stanford and Cal, giving them a strong western pod and hurting the Big XII's relative position.

Plus, getting the UA-ASU rivalry (does it have a name?) and The Holy War as conference matchups is huge.

I too played the game Risk as a child.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

And then **** all over Farmageddon

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I went to Arizona State. We used to hire old coaches that were on the verge of retirement and wanted one last coaching gig in warm weather. Bill Frieder comes to mind. It’s not a good college sports town. It’s basically a bunch of former midwestern people hoping their favorite team comes to play Arizona State or play a bowl game. I think the big 12 will help with attendance since their are so many midwestern people living down there and will be excited to see Iowa State, K State and the rest

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021

100%. Pure speculation, but I wonder if ASU was slow playing to see if they could go ACC with Cal and Stanford + others instead of XII after UW and UO went to B1G. Or maybe Crow really was so up in the clouds that he thought the PAC would be viable even after those major defections.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron