Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The question everyone should be asking is WHY haven't they fixed the offense?!?

There was a time in 2017 when they scrapped the entire Cyclone defense because Akron ran for 150 yards on them in a half. And they did it in two weeks, successfully, and never went back. They were willing to do something different to win.

What happened to that? Maybe nobody in any of the offensive rooms has the credibility with Campbell that Heacock does when they say something needs to be done differently. But watching the offense bang its head against a figurative 8 and 9 man brick wall week after week is pretty disheartening when you know they've shown the ability to revamp on the fly in the past.

They can't even say the offensive schemes are an issue. I'm not hopeful something can be salvaged at the moment.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
I spent the week thinking "you know, as much as I am critical of Campbell's offensive ideas right now, the players still seem bought in, which is a million times more important than what some nobody like me thinks." Yesterday a lot of the players did not seem especially bought in.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I spent the week thinking "you know, as much as I am critical of Campbell's offensive ideas right now, the players still seem bought in, which is a million times more important than what some nobody like me thinks." Yesterday a lot of the players did not seem especially bought in.
Everything about yesterday felt like the last days of Rhoads.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
How much blame does JP shoulder for making a home and home deal with a MAC team? I understand the economic reality we are in, but does anything about yesterday's game change if we have an additional home game instead of playing in Athens, Ohio?

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2 and CYCLNST8

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The question everyone should be asking is WHY haven't they fixed the offense?!?

There was a time in 2017 when they scrapped the entire Cyclone defense because Akron ran for 150 yards on them in a half. And they did it in two weeks, successfully, and never went back. They were willing to do something different to win.

What happened to that? Maybe nobody in any of the offensive rooms has the credibility with Campbell that Heacock does when they say something needs to be done differently. But watching the offense bang its head against a figurative 8 and 9 man brick wall week after week is pretty disheartening when you know they've shown the ability to revamp on the fly in the past.

They can't even say the offensive schemes are an issue. I'm not hopeful something can be salvaged at the moment.

Semantics but they switched to the 3-3-5 two weeks (bye week) after losing to Texas although the Texas loss was largely due to Jacob Park losing his mind. Perhaps it was just off of trends though.

I think changing defensive personnel mid-season might be an easier deal than offense. For defense it was just adding a safety and taking away a D-lineman, and reassigning.

Adding receivers or spreading things out, in ISU's case, just puts more average speed on the field and likely still no running game. They got some things going yesterday with the passing game late but if they came out in that, the defense would adjust and with no run game, it's still going to be hard.

Reactions: Die4Cy

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Semantics but they switched to the 3-3-5 two weeks (bye week) after losing to Texas although the Texas loss was largely due to Jacob Park losing his mind. Perhaps it was just off of trends though.

I think changing defensive personnel mid-season might be an easier deal than offense. For defense it was just adding a safety and taking away a D-lineman, and reassigning.

Adding receivers or spreading things out, in ISU's case, just puts more average speed on the field and likely still no running game. They got some things going yesterday with the passing game late but if they came out in that, the defense would adjust and with no run game, it's still going to be hard.

If they spread the field the other team has to defend that, which pulls defenders out of the box.

Last week I thought Campbell "might" be a bad offensive coach. This week I'm certain of it.

If he doesn't see this and make a change within two weeks, I'll consider him a straight up bad head coach too.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
How much blame does JP shoulder for making a home and home deal with a MAC team? I understand the economic reality we are in, but does anything about yesterday's game change if we have an additional home game instead of playing in Athens, Ohio?
No blame. You are a P5 school and should still go win that game, especially giving up only 10 points. If you are afraid to go on the road against a MAC team then you have bigger issues. Sure G5 teams win plenty of times, but what we saw yesterday was a G5 team that was better and tougher in the critical areas of the game, specifically the offensive line.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If they spread the field the other team has to defend that, which pulls defenders out of the box.

Last week I thought Campbell "might" be a bad offensive coach. This week I'm certain of it.

If he doesn't see this and make a change within two weeks, I'll consider him a straight up bad head coach too.

Defenders are going to be able to cover it against ISU's personnel and don't have to do anything else if ISU can't sustain anything from the run.

Heck defenses are teeing off on ISU's Oline as it is because there's not a real viable threat in the pass. They got caught late a bit yesterday but I didn't see anything sustainable.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I answered “yes” last week too.

I’m getting old and have essentially lost faith in cyclone football.

A small and obvious example: We’re seemingly the only P5 school that can’t make field goals. And it’s been that way for at least 4 freaking coaching staffs. It’s insane.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Iirc that decision was made during the 2nd Big XII crisis?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I answered “yes” last week too.

I’m getting old and have essentially lost faith in cyclone football.

A small and obvious example: We’re seemingly the only P5 school that can’t make field goals. And it’s been that way for at least 4 freaking coaching staffs. It’s insane.
We have seen it recently with Mevis. That kid was very good, and it shows how important a kicker is. Points are points, and as CW mentioned on the recap last night, if you are going to play in a phone booth and muck up the game the way we do, you HAVE TO have an elite kicker that is going to get you those 3 points nearly every time. You can't play low-scoring, tight games, and expect to win when you can't make FGs.

Yesterday (and I mentioned this in the gameday thread) the missed FGs should NOT be the scapegoat here. You are playing a MAC team that scored only 10 points and the thing that could have won you the game is a couple of missed FGs? BS, you as the P5 school need to get in the end zone against a freaking MAC team. We needed two TDs yesterday to win that game. That's it. No excuse losing ANY game while only giving up 10 points, including if you somehow only gave up 10 points to Georgia.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't think the talent is terrible. I think the coaching has been bad though. Not just talking development, more so x's and o's, creativity, pace, etc. Just the offense of course. This defense has been really good, I just would like to see more blitzing to generate turnovers.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

We beat the same team by 30 last year in Ames (a 4-win team). They’ve gotten better and we have regressed. That has nothing to do with scheduling.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I know this is an oft-repeated factoid, but I never really digested it and had to look it up.....Matt was in a college program that was 54-1 while he was there. Hmmmmmm.

• Winner
Reactions: 1961Cylones