Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The question everyone should be asking is WHY haven't they fixed the offense?!?

There was a time in 2017 when they scrapped the entire Cyclone defense because Akron ran for 150 yards on them in a half. And they did it in two weeks, successfully, and never went back. They were willing to do something different to win.

What happened to that? Maybe nobody in any of the offensive rooms has the credibility with Campbell that Heacock does when they say something needs to be done differently. But watching the offense bang its head against a figurative 8 and 9 man brick wall week after week is pretty disheartening when you know they've shown the ability to revamp on the fly in the past.

They can't even say the offensive schemes are an issue. I'm not hopeful something can be salvaged at the moment.

Winning post right here. Matt has the rest of this season to show he CAN adapt and adjust, AND that he's willing to do it. If he can't, or doesn't, then JP has to let him go IMO. It is Matt's job to make whatever adjustments that are needed to advance the ball and score points.... DURING the game... not just in the last several minutes when the opposition is playing prevent.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Bottom line. Campbell is going to be given at least a couple years. ******** will not change reality. And reality may be that we really are the coaches graveyard that inevitably gets all Cyclone coaches….unless you leave when you get the chance. Majors had a losing record his last year with George Amundsen at QB. And Earle left just as Hayden was hired. Earle took Ohio State job and was fired. Finished up at UNI and Colorado State. That is a helluva fall.

Campbell will either figure it out or in a couple years he will likely be gone if he does not. Best for all if he figures it out. We’ll see what happens.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Bottom line. Campbell is going to be given at least a couple years. ******** will not change reality. And reality may be that we really are the coaches graveyard that inevitably gets all Cyclone coaches….unless you leave when you get the chance. Majors had a losing record his last year with George Amundsen at QB. And Earle left just as Hayden was hired. Earle took Ohio State job and was fired. Finished up at UNI and Colorado State. That is a helluva fall.

Campbell will either figure it out or in a couple years he will likely be gone if he does not. Best for all if he figures it out. We’ll see what happens.
You......you want to wait a couple more years? And do what? Expect fans to come watch this crap?

He's had the same problems since the end of 2019!

Now, after recruiting classes have entered since then and are close to graduating, he is going to finally do something different?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I saw this on Twitter yesterday too, people gloating that they were the first to recognize how bad things are, like a journalist insisting on credit for being the first to break a story. Congrats, I guess?
Nothing to gloat about.

Sad really that this is where we are.

Had high hopes for Campbell, but he's too stubborn to change his ways.

Last year was it for me.

I didn't want to be right.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If you look at the program from 10,000 feet, what do you see? You see a young, hungry coach that took a bad program to relevance and then had dropped off sharply. We're still very much in the nose dive and there are no signs that we're going to recover. I have no faith in Campbell anymore and I predict that he'll be out after next season.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I find that if I can illicit these kinds of reactions it’s pretty much 100% certified that it is clever and youre just mad.

You're insufferable more than anything else.

That being written I don't think you're necessarily wrong on this, although I hope you are.

Yesterday has the same feeling of the infamous basketball loss to Florida A&M that was the beginning of the end for Steve Prohm.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You......you want to wait a couple more years? And do what? Expect fans to come watch this crap?

He's had the same problems since the end of 2019!

Now, after recruiting classes have entered since then and are close to graduating, he is going to finally do something different?

I have Campbell under contract. We can not afford his buyout this early. Odds are better to let Campbell try to figure it out. You retain Heacock’s defense which you lose if Campbell is fired.

2003 was much more painful than this. I lived through it. 116th out of 117th in points scored. And Mac got more chances.

Cyclone5050

Dec 31, 2012
I don't know where to start. There are so many excuses that could be made. The players lost to the gambling accusations, the "food poisoning" stories, the refs, the coaching? It's just a perfect storm of ****.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Rot? No.
Reality? Probably.

Like WVU, ISU isnt in a state with tons of recruits, plus it may not be able to compete for the top players bc TCU and Taco Tech have more NIL money.

MC did extremely well when he had talent, especially Brock under center and maybe the best tight end ive seen, Throw in a couple of NFL rbs and a NFL wr, and combined with a tough as nails defense, MC led ISU to a fiesta bowl victory.

Im not sure saban could win with ISU's current roster. When you cant run on a mac team, youj got nothing going for an oline. You are not winning many games without a good oline.

There was a graph showing how many NFL draft picks WVU had prior to NB--it was a lot. For a stretch of a few years WVU was 2nd only to OU in draft picks, and many were in the 1st round.

2022 was the 1st year WVU had zero draft picks in a very long time, and NB has had only 4 in his 5 years at WVU. to be fair, WVU had a few but they got stolen by Georgia, Maimi, fsU, lsu and others who paid more NIL.

NB said he had a top 10 defense in 2020 and lost 7 starters to the NIL portal.

point being, i think the ISU's and WVU's will struggle in the NIL/portal era.