Assistants

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
My upper weight coach helped me a ton when we used to wrestle. It's one thing to coach from the side, but another to coach while you are wrestling someone. Feeling their reactions, weight shift, etc. is something almost impossible to do from the sideline. Not that it can't be done, but I think there is a better opportunity to succeed when there is a coach to wrestle with.
Just ask Kyle Snyder why he thinks he is getting better and better.

Plus techniques have to be adjusted or outright changed at various weights. What works for a middleweight isn't the same as what'll work for a heavyweight - there's a reason you don't see as much funk in the upperweights.

• Agree
Reactions: Clone83 and csteve

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I would definitely call Chris Perry an upper weight coach. 174 + coaches could easily roll with the big guys in the room. Reader could be our "bigs" coach. Plus, ISU has a very strong tradition in the heavier guys (Cael, Varner, Z, Gadson, etc). It's one of the (many) advantages over the Hawks that we can use in recruiting.

Reactions: Clone83

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My dream coaching team and ROTC roster as of now:

HC Dresser
Top Assist. Zadick
Assist - DSJ (middle)
Assist - Reader (bigs) [he could also be the Top Assist and I'd be excited]
Vol. Assist - Escobedo (lights)

ROTC
Gadson
Walz* (big)
Dance* (small)
Moreno* (middle)

* I'd like to have 3 or 4 ROTC guys who are on the payroll but their primary focus is coaching our college guys. This is a great gateway into a future coaching job when they open up. The rest of the ROTC guys should be true contenders for World and Olympic medals. I think Gadson can be a contender if he puts his mind too it.

• Winner
Reactions: Clone83 and cyputz

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My dream coaching team and ROTC roster as of now:

HC Dresser
Top Assist. Zadick
Assist - DSJ (middle)
Assist - Reader (bigs) [he could also be the Top Assist and I'd be excited]
Vol. Assist - Escobedo (lights)

ROTC
Gadson
Walz* (big)
Dance* (small)
Moreno* (middle)

* I'd like to have 3 or 4 ROTC guys who are on the payroll but their primary focus is coaching our college guys. This is a great gateway into a future coaching job when they open up. The rest of the ROTC guys should be true contenders for World and Olympic medals. I think Gadson can be a contender if he puts his mind too it.
The problem with this is we are only allowed 4 coaches which includes the vol. assistant. Can't have 5 coaches unless you include the Grad Asst which none of the ones you listed are. Dresser is raising $ for 4-5 contenders. Probably won't have that many in the room the first year or two but hopefully close to it. I don't understand the hate for Bradley but he is a contender as well as Gadson. Also, Metcalf I'm sure can wrestle up to 174 pounders in the room and St. Johns up to 184/197. You don't need a heavyweight coach in the corner. I think Dresser knows what he needs to be successful and has considered several options.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
To the posters that are somewhat "in the know"-how confident are you that we end up with Zadick and Metcalf? Sounded like Dresser wanted to finalize the staff by the weekend from what I've gathered. Can anyone shed any light on what either guys impressions were of the facilities etc?

Reactions: Clone83

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
I would be very happy to have Metcalf or Reader on staff. They both do a phenomenal job with kids at camps. They both preach accountability and their follow up with wrestlers is impressive.

Reactions: Clone83 and DCR

Cyk Aboody

Feb 20, 2017
To the posters that are somewhat "in the know"-how confident are you that we end up with Zadick and Metcalf? Sounded like Dresser wanted to finalize the staff by the weekend from what I've gathered. Can anyone shed any light on what either guys impressions were of the facilities etc?

I would be surprised if Zadick didn't end up coaching here. I haven't heard anything about Metcalf's intentions.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Never had a problem with St.John and excited to have him on board. He was always mild mannered to me and the extracurriculars were very few and far between.

Metcalf seemed to mature on the international scene and doesn't speak like a robot anymore. I would be kindof surprised if he came to Ames, though.

Don't want Ramos. Don't know much about Mike Zadick but I do know his brother Bill is universally loved by wrestlers at the OTC.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Supposedly Dresser grew up as a Cyclone fan his whole life, according to him, but went to wrestle at Iowa. Did ISU not offer him or what?

And now it appears he might want to fill all his coaching positions with ex-Hawks too. Not sure I really like that to be honest. I don't care if he brings some Hawks on board, but I think he should look at some ex-Cyclones too that are very qualified.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
VT message board says they have hired 2 new assistants . One poster thinks they are waiting on Iowa State to make an announcement before their announcement is made. Hopefully this means we will be hearing something soon.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Supposedly Dresser grew up as a Cyclone fan his whole life, according to him, but went to wrestle at Iowa. Did ISU not offer him or what?

And now it appears he might want to fill all his coaching positions with ex-Hawks too. Not sure I really like that to be honest. I don't care if he brings some Hawks on board, but I think he should look at some ex-Cyclones too that are very qualified.
As already stated ISU was recruiting Joe Gibbons. Other than Reader, who else has ISU ties that you think would bea viable candidate?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Only Cyclones other than the Paulsons, would be Cody Sanderson and Reader, or Varner as assistants.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Only Cyclones other than the Paulsons, would be Cody Sanderson and Reader, or Varner as assistants.

I'm struggling to think of any around wrestling somewhat. Only other one that even pops into my head is Hinson. He runs a wrestling club by Hayden lake.

I don't think he has an interest in college coaching though.

• Friendly
Reactions: Scott34

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I'm struggling to think of any around wrestling somewhat. Only other one that even pops into my head is Hinson. He runs a wrestling club by Hayden lake.

I don't think he has an interest in college coaching though.

Quite a few still in wrestling, though not many would make sense as assistants. Matt Azevedo is the head coach at Drexel. Varner assisting at PSU with the Sanderson's along with Nick Fanthorpe. Bono and Reader at SDSU. Last I knew Zabriskie was at Lehigh training and helping coach there. Eric Akin is the head coach at St. Thomas aquinas in KC. Mike Moreno Sr is the head coach at Urbandale hs. Steve Knight runs the Excel club.

Notable alumni who are out of wrestling (as far as I know) include Gallicks, the Gibbons brothers, Backes, Holker, Heskett (associate AD @ WVU), Mountsier, Steve Hamilton(does a little bit of club stuff in Georgia) and Barry Weldon.

• Informative
Reactions: Judoka and BCClone

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Quite a few still in wrestling, though not many would make sense as assistants. Matt Azevedo is the head coach at Drexel. Varner assisting at PSU with the Sanderson's along with Nick Fanthorpe. Bono and Reader at SDSU. Last I knew Zabriskie was at Lehigh training and helping coach there. Eric Akin is the head coach at St. Thomas aquinas in KC. Mike Moreno Sr is the head coach at Urbandale hs. Steve Knight runs the Excel club.

Notable alumni who are out of wrestling (as far as I know) include Gallicks, the Gibbons brothers, Backes, Holker, Heskett (associate AD @ WVU), Mountsier, Steve Hamilton(does a little bit of club stuff in Georgia) and Barry Weldon.
I don't believe Fanthorpe is coaching anymore.