Assistants

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I wonder if they can get Ty Walz (hwt ) and Joey Dance (125) to come here in some capacity like volunteer assistants or RTC athletes.

Reactions: 6scrapper7

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
I wonder if they can get Ty Walz (hwt ) and Joey Dance (125) to come here in some capacity like volunteer assistants or RTC athletes.

Dresser would definitely be going balls to the Walz if he got him here..I can't wait to see how this new staff shakes out in the coming days. Equally excited about who the RTC athletes will be..

• Funny
Reactions: CyGold

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My understanding is the vol. coach will also be the ROTC coach. Gadson is still training tor the Olympics so he will not be a coach and no Walz makes no sense if Dresser is able to keep Gadson and Bradley. Dance makes a ton of sense and would be a great addition for the CROTC.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Midland has 1400 students. Since 2009, the institution has added 15 varsity sports to create the state's largest athletic department which includes over 850 athletes. Midland sponsors a total of 29 varsity sports and 12 JV programs.

It's a solid recruiting strategy and the reason wrestling is growing so much at the D-III and NAIA level. You bring in 30 or so tuition paying students (which more than covers the cost of fielding the team) and you help balance out the student body - a lot of those schools are tipped really far female and struggle to get guys on campus without wrestling/football teams.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Midland has 1400 students. Since 2009, the institution has added 15 varsity sports to create the state's largest athletic department which includes over 850 athletes. Midland sponsors a total of 29 varsity sports and 12 JV programs.

Sorry to derail but how do they pay for this?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Sorry to derail but how do they pay for this?

Tuition from the athletes. According to their website tuition is $31k a year. I count 35 guys on their roster. That's a million a year in tuition minus whatever aid they are getting. And the cost of a lower level coach and some mats isn't all that much, probably costs them less than a quarter of that to field the team for a year. And their marginal cost to educate those 35 guys is a lot less than the remaining $750k.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
On Midland, it probably helped growth there that Dana College in Blair closed a few years ago, with roots I believe in the Danish Lutheran church. Dana also had a decent wrestling program.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
On Midland, it probably helped growth there that Dana College in Blair closed a few years ago, with roots I believe in the Danish Lutheran church. Dana also had a decent wrestling program.
I didn't know Dana College had closed. That's where former Cyclone Willie Parks landed and (I believe) he was an NAIA champion.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
We definitely could use an upper weight. Having Dom and Kyven training is awesome, but not the same as a dedicated coach.

I think Metcalf would be great for the RTC. He has seemed to mellow and mature while on the international scene.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
If Dresser were to bring in all Iowa coaches, wouldn't that undermine somewhat the Iowa Hawkeye brand as a destination for wrestlers? It seems Brands would not be too happy about it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If Dresser were to bring in all Iowa coaches, wouldn't that undermine somewhat the Iowa Hawkeye brand as a destination for wrestlers? It seems Brands would not be too happy about it.

Depends on who he brings in. The "Iowa Brand" under Brands is guys like Ramos and Gilman. Its for guys who think being an ******* is what makes somebody tough. Pushes after the whistle, bending rules, taunting after matches. **** like that. Which leads to hilariously childish responses when they lose because that's where people like that are emotionally. Not everybody in their lineup fits that mold. They just always manage to have 1 or 2 that do and those guys become the face of the team.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of room to be a **** on the mat and do it within the rules and without being an ass. DSJ wasn't exactly an angel himself. Which is why I don't care if we hire guys who were Hawks. If we hire a Clark or Brooks type guy then sure, I'm down. I mean, hell, Gable was a Cyclone and now is a Hawk legend. I just don't want to hire the Brands wannabes. Metcalf was one, which is why I have some reservations about him, but as I posted upthread he's been said to have mellowed out once he hit the international circuit. So I'd be a lot less opposed to him than I would a more recent example.

Reactions: Clone83

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
How about a staff that looks like this...

Head Coach - Kevin Dresser
Associate Head Coach - Mike Zadick
Assistant Coach - Derek St John
Volunteer Assistant - Tony Ramos
CROTC Head Coach - Brent Metcalf

Looks great. Would be a complete change in mindset and approach, which is exactly what is needed.