Athletic for sale

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They often have very interesting, in-depth articles about Iowa State, such as the recruitment of Breece Hall and Tyler Goodson by both Iowa State and Eastern Iowa U.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
There have a lot of good writers, and they provide the most comprehensive coverage of many of my favorite teams (not ISU unfortunately). But while they were busy patting themselves on the backs, they failed to make any money.

After this conference realignment fiasco, I have no sympathy for Staples, Mandel, and Auerbach. They are not only actively cheering on the power grabs that many college football fans are disgusted with, they're attempting to influence the perceptions that drive those changes. Ultimately, I don't think they know as much as they like to project. Either way, they've lost their way in this and have handled it with zero professionalism. Talking down to your audience at every opportunity is a bad look.
Ironically, contracting sports and fans results in the need for fewer sports news outlets and writers. They were actively, delighting in the promotion of a narrative this increases their own irrelevance.

• Agree
Reactions: LeaningCy

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Ironically, contracting sports and fans results in the need for fewer sports news outlets and writers. They were actively, delighting in the promotion of a narrative this increases their own irrelevance.
Funny thing is, even before that they couldn’t have been more irrelevant to many of us. Way too much media and talking head worship in this country

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Here's your problem with most of society. Things aren't done to provide info, or health, or indeed much of anything - they are designed to be profitable. Way back when a local paper provided info and generally knew there were enough people that they could make that work with ads. Now? Just pump value by whatever means and hope to create a perception, at least, of value. Its not how well you write, but how many mindless consumers you can reach.

Back in the day a lot of these local papers didn't need to worry about profitability because they had a built in subscriber base. You lived in the town and you could expect a certain percentage of people to have a newspaper subscription. That's just blown completely out of the water now, I am not exactly young (40) and I don't think I know anybody with a newspaper subscription.

What do you expect people to do? They are still trained for a profession, it's just that profession is simply unprofitable now.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Back in the day a lot of these local papers didn't need to worry about profitability because they had a built in subscriber base. You lived in the town and you could expect a certain percentage of people to have a newspaper subscription. That's just blown completely out of the water now, I am not exactly young (40) and I don't think I know anybody with a newspaper subscription.

What do you expect people to do? They are still trained for a profession, it's just that profession is simply unprofitable now.
I'm not asking to turn back the clock, although it might be nice. I'm merely lamenting the fact that you don't have to be good an an actual thing anymore, other than making money. Used to be, do work or even good work and make money. Now its make money even if you are totally lying to people to do it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not asking to turn back the clock, although it might be nice. I'm merely lamenting the fact that you don't have to be good an an actual thing anymore, other than making money. Used to be, do work or even good work and make money. Now its make money even if you are totally lying to people to do it.

We’ll I guess I disagree. I think the writers the athletic have are good. And you can’t start a massive business without a lot of seed money. I don’t think anybody was lied to specifically in the case of the athletic - they had a flawed business plan that hasn’t worked out.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i think the athletic is a steal at $1/month. just because you don't agree with one guy on one topic doesn't mean they don't have a ton of other great stuff.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I like it a lot but mostly because they are the only sports writing group that gives a rip about Hockey. It is far from perfect though, I think their podcasts need work. I also think some writers work has decreased in quality since moving to the athletic. Overall though still worth the investment. the criticisms are outweighed by the volume of content they push out.(If you enjoy a wide range of sport)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron