Athletic for sale

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
“But there is just one problem: Despite 1.2 million subscribers, $80 million in revenue last year, and a valuation north of $500 million, The Athletic still isn’t profitable. The company has reached desired size and scale, but the business model isn't working. That’s not me being harsh. It’s the truth.”
I feel like Mandel said they same thing about the Big 12 Leftovers being unwanted. Maybe he should’ve taken a look in the mirror.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Here's your problem with most of society. Things aren't done to provide info, or health, or indeed much of anything - they are designed to be profitable. Way back when a local paper provided info and generally knew there were enough people that they could make that work with ads. Now? Just pump value by whatever means and hope to create a perception, at least, of value. Its not how well you write, but how many mindless consumers you can reach.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
One of my favorite twitter follows/reporters has went WAY downhill since joining The Athletic. I used to read all his articles and listen to all of his pods, but not anymore.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
One of my favorite twitter follows/reporters has went WAY downhill since joining The Athletic. I used to read all his articles and listen to all of his pods, but not anymore.
Who's that?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Did anyone on here subscribe to this? I never saw the point.
I subscribed for a buck a year or so ago. I read two articles and never read anymore. I honestly don’t give a **** about sports stories unless it’s directly Iowa State related

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Did anyone on here subscribe to this? I never saw the point.

There have a lot of good writers, and they provide the most comprehensive coverage of many of my favorite teams (not ISU unfortunately). But while they were busy patting themselves on the backs, they failed to make any money.

After this conference realignment fiasco, I have no sympathy for Staples, Mandel, and Auerbach. They are not only actively cheering on the power grabs that many college football fans are disgusted with, they're attempting to influence the perceptions that drive those changes. Ultimately, I don't think they know as much as they like to project. Either way, they've lost their way in this and have handled it with zero professionalism. Talking down to your audience at every opportunity is a bad look.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Have a subscription and it's worth all 100 pennies a month it costs. I like reading and pretty much daily they have an article comparable to the feature ESPN the Mag used to have.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny and Cy$