BarnTown Sticky Juice

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
One of the best NEIPA's I've ever had. Anyone else had this stuff?
I've been slipping on my quest to try as many IPAs as possible and you've given me a good reason to get back on track. Do you know if they sell it at Hy Vee or anywhere else in the Ames area?

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've been slipping on my quest to try as many IPAs as possible and you've given me a good reason to get back on track. Do you know if they sell it at Hy Vee or anywhere else in the Ames area?
Or Iowa in general?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just ate at Barntown for the first time on Friday and the food was really good (except the fries they need to cool it on the salt).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Also a heads up that they are closed for the next three days to install new flooring.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
It’s good, but I do t think it touches Tree House’s offerings which are tough to get in Iowa but have the best examples of the category I’ve ever had

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
It’s good, but I do t think it touches Tree House’s offerings which are tough to get in Iowa but have the best examples of the category I’ve ever had
I don’t think you can even get Tree House in Iowa. I live in the northeast and it is literally impossible to get here. You have to stand in line at the their brewery for an hour or more to get the nectar of the gods....and it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere Massachusetts.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...

Tree House is great but Monkish is at the top for me. That said I had the first two batches of Sticky Juice and it's really solid. Have a bottle of this batch on its way via trade. Double Hop Skewer and Imaginary Time are both nice as well. Overall Barn Town is a top notch brewery and restaurant.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've gotten Tree House through trades pretty regularly.

It's great, obviously, but there are breweries all over the country making that style of IPA at a nearly indistinguishable level. Barn Town is one of them. Pulpit Rock, TG, Alluvial, Forager (Rochester MN) are all also making beers of this caliber in this style, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81 and dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've gotten Tree House through trades pretty regularly.

It's great, obviously, but there are breweries all over the country making that style of IPA at a nearly indistinguishable level. Barn Town is one of them. Pulpit Rock, TG, Alluvial, Forager (Rochester MN) are all also making beers of this caliber in this style, IMO.

Totally agree. Nearly every time I've had a beer that is supposed to be legendary, I've come away a little disappointed. They have always been great beers but you can get locals that are just as good. I've had beers like Heady Topper/Focal Banger, Pliny the Elder, Zombie Dust, Hill Farmstead stuff, Maine Beer Co. stuff, Other Half stuff, etc. Although most of the big legendary stouts I've had have lived up to the hype.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Totally agree. Nearly every time I've had a beer that is supposed to be legendary, I've come away a little disappointed. They have always been great beers but you can get locals that are just as good. I've had beers like Heady Topper/Focal Banger, Pliny the Elder, Zombie Dust, Hill Farmstead stuff, Maine Beer Co. stuff, Other Half stuff, etc. Although most of the big legendary stouts I've had have lived up to the hype.

I think I've had every beer/brewery you mentioned and I agree completely. They're always excellent, but I've almost never found something there that obviously exceeds our local options (at this point in time).