NFL: Bears' Benson charged with boating while intoxicated, resisting arrest

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
ESPN - Bears' Benson charged with boating while intoxicated, resisting arrest - NFL

Benson, who starred at the University of Texas, failed a field sobriety test on his 30-foot boat. According to multiple media reports, there were 12-15 people on Benson's boat, but the running back was the only one arrested.
When police tried to get Benson to take the sobriety test on land, Benson resisted and refused to put on a life jacket, police said.
It seems like every off season a Bear player has to get involved with law enforcement. This is getting old.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Local authorities are taking "boating while intoxicated" very seriously this year. There have already been at least 3 alcohol-related drownings on Lake Travis in Austin where this incident occurred. Benson's an idiot.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Some interesting things coming out from his side though. He says he didn't have anything to drink, passed all sobriety tests, and has been pulled over every time he has boated that lake... This MAY get interesting...

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
Some interesting things coming out from his side though. He says he didn't have anything to drink, passed all sobriety tests, and has been pulled over every time he has boated that lake... This MAY get interesting...

Yes, it may...it'll confirm that not only is he a joke of a pro RB and another first round RB bust for da bears but that he's a retard along the lines of Fred Smoot as well.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Cedric Benson is now the Cedric the Entertainer. maybe, this will give the Bears a chance to trade for Priest Holmes or some other borderline player.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't believe this is Ced's first run in with the law. Didn't he break in and steal someone's TV while he was at Texas? Or did I dream that? Not that I dream about Cedric Benson..

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
If there is more to the story, in line with Cedric's comments in the article, I would not be surprised. I know the article says he was arrested by the Lower Colorado River Authority, but the Austin PD has had problems with targeting people of color in the past. I'm not saying that is the case, just that there is a precedent.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So, now a friend of Benson's, on the boat, was scared and said the Cops were 'beating up her black friend' so she called her dad to call the police. Her fiance took pictures of it going down. She also says that Cedric maybe had two beers...

My favorite is that the cop justifies the events saying.
According to the police report, Sgt. Leonard Snyder, who sprayed and arrested Benson, said he believed Benson was intoxicated because he was "combative," "cocky," "insulting" and used "profanity," but at other times was "crying" and "cooperative."
Sounds like just about any football player, especially if you are being told you are drunk and you are not. I was listening to 'The Pulse' on ESPN radio last night and he was saying the same thing, how would you be acting if you were sober and being forced off your boat and told you're drunk?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I just find it amusing that players from the NFC North, a cold weather division, have so much trouble with boats.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
So, now a friend of Benson's, on the boat, was scared and said the Cops were 'beating up her black friend' so she called her dad to call the police. Her fiance took pictures of it going down. She also says that Cedric maybe had two beers...

My favorite is that the cop justifies the events saying.

Sounds like just about any football player, especially if you are being told you are drunk and you are not. I was listening to 'The Pulse' on ESPN radio last night and he was saying the same thing, how would you be acting if you were sober and being forced off your boat and told you're drunk?

Actually, a law-abiding citizen would be saying "yes-sir" and "no-sir", and complying with police instruction.

Afterwards, you get on speed-dial and call your lawyer and set up the lawsuit, etc..

There is no, as in none, zip, zilch, nix, nada justification for failing to obey police instructions.

Flipping any crap at all toward police officers executing their duties is grounds for putting a guy into the "deserved it" category, as far as I'm concerned.