Been watching non Big 12 basketball lately...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big 12 has been in the Championship game three of the last four years and has won it twice. Plus, it was a different team from the league each year. I think the league is just as strong as previous years. We have seen that the league's toughness shows up in the tourney. Teams are used to playing quality teams every night and are used to tight games. That is not the case with the other leagues..

The close games I think help and it's a to7gh conference slate but at the same time I'm not on the 'other teams haven't seen ISU and they play in the Big 12 so it'll be fine' train.

It was a different team but same style (and ISU had their worst day of the season which didn't help) and Pitt still jumped on them last year.

That's not to say this group can't be successful, I just think it's not that simple and will still require playing well, matchups and figuring the offense out.

Reactions: Halincandenza

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Watched the Illinois vs Iowa game yesterday. Outside of Purdue the Big Ten is a bad product. Illinois has plenty of talent but they don’t play defense and are horrible when it comes to discipline

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Torvik does like Nebraska decently, will be interesting to see how they do in the tourney.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Eh, disagree. Omaha is on Thursday & that's the best destination for this team. Location trumps day, IMO.
I agree, just keep us out of that sleepy 11:10-AM or whatever time slot that first game or two fall in. Seems like there is always an upset or two in that earliest slate of games Thursday.

• Winner
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Watched the Illinois vs Iowa game yesterday. Outside of Purdue the Big Ten is a bad product. Illinois has plenty of talent but they don’t play defense and are horrible when it comes to discipline
I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to hold Iowa off and convincingly at that. Even when Iowa would get it to with 5 or 6 they weathered it and just really sucked the life out of them for 40 minutes. That said, Illinois has about as much success as Iowa in the NCAA Tournament over the last 20 years or so. Choke artists.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to hold Iowa off and convincingly at that. Even when Iowa would get it to with 5 or 6 they weathered it and just really sucked the life out of them for 40 minutes. That said, Illinois has about as much success as Iowa in the NCAA Tournament over the last 20 years or so. Choke artists.

Imo it's not really a choke thing if you're just not that good.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The close games I think help and it's a to7gh conference slate but at the same time I'm not on the 'other teams haven't seen ISU and they play in the Big 12 so it'll be fine' train.

It was a different team but same style (and ISU had their worst day of the season which didn't help) and Pitt still jumped on them last year.

That's not to say this group can't be successful, I just think it's not that simple and will still require playing well, matchups and figuring the offense out.
I guess I was responding to the OP who suggested that the entire Big 12 may be over rated this year. I think the Big 12 has proven to be successful in the tourney. I don't think they are over rated. As for ISU, we need to get healthy and get fresh legs somehow before the NCAA tourney starts. I think that will help this team more than anything else.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seems like as good a place to stick this as any…

So, is it time to start a non con home and home series with Fred and Nebraska? I’d be okay with that being a regular thing.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Upon revisiting this thread...

My initial cause for concern that Iowa State doesn't have that elite bucket getter appears to have been a non starter.

However...

This tournament has not been kind to the notion that the Big 12 is some juggernaut of men's cbb

• Dumb
Reactions: nrg4isu and BigTurk

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I know you could say this about a lot of teams, but if Baylor and BYU has shot even close to their normal percentages in their games we are likely having a different conversation. Baylor in particular had one of the worst ft shooting performances in recent memory.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

My initial cause for concern that Iowa State doesn't have that elite bucket getter appears to have been a non starter.

However...

This tournament has not been kind to the notion that the Big 12 is some juggernaut of men's cbb

Who called it a juggernaut?

Is that what we should call the ACC?

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

However...

A single elimination tournament isn’t a good judge of who and who isn’t elite.

• Agree
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Plus too many people do not account for match ups. I'm a big east fan as well but I can't help but laugh at the BE fans that point out their record without mentioning all their teams but UConn have played double digit seeds. Flip side is the mountain west which had to play tougher seeds but people dogpiled on them for their poor record.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
right, and the ACC was hot garbage this year. In the tournament, they benefited from a 12 seed and a 14 seed winning. The Big 12 had key injuries. We all know about Kansas, but Baylor was without Langston Love.

Reactions: tim_redd