Beer Fridge - what temp?

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'm the proud owner of a new beer fridge with a temperature control (37° - 54°). It's installed indoors and only holds beer and kombucha. I currently have the temp set to 37° but after some basic research I'm thinking that's way too cold. I mostly drink Saisons, Belgians, IPAs, and sours. Not big on porters or stouts or other beers that are typically served at a warmer temp. I typically drink out of an insulated pint (Hydroflask) or standard glass pint. Looking for opinions on what temp to keep it at.

Going off of this link for serving temps. - Proper beer serving temps

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
My personal preferences are as follows.

Domestic Beer - dang near freezing.
Craft Beers - I drink mostly APA or IPA's with some Scottish Ales or Lagers. I'd set that somewhere around 40-42 (though that link says 45-50)

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Whatever the temp is outside.

983acb459fbb78aab6a648e002b66922.jpg

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You should really invite us all over to try it out over several days, using several different types of beer at several different temperatures. I mean, if you really want us to give you an educated answer you should allow us to do the proper laboratory studies.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and 2020cy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I drink pales and ipas mostly and like them a bit on the “warm” side so I have mine at 43.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Mine is set to 41-42...well was before it crapped out on me last month. ******* piece of **** from Lowes. Do not ever buy a Magic Chef glass door beverage cooler. It will crap out on you in no more than 18 months.

I'm with TheJackWePack5. Like my Busch Light ice cold in my Yeti, my ipas around 42-46* and my stouts/porters at 55*-room temp.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Friend of mine in high school used to hide his beer in the snow in front of his house. Come spring there would be 1's 2's and 3's of bud tall boys everywhere.

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I get the argument that if a beer is too cold you may mask some of the aromas, but I like that first taste to be ice cold every time. I don't care if it's a stout, ale, wheat, lager, etc.

Granted, by the time I finish one, it's likely warmed to optimal temp anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I'm the proud owner of a new beer fridge with a temperature control (37° - 54°). It's installed indoors and only holds beer and kombucha. I currently have the temp set to 37° but after some basic research I'm thinking that's way too cold. I mostly drink Saisons, Belgians, IPAs, and sours. Not big on porters or stouts or other beers that are typically served at a warmer temp. I typically drink out of an insulated pint (Hydroflask) or standard glass pint. Looking for opinions on what temp to keep it at.

Going off of this link for serving temps. - Proper beer serving temps
It will depend heavily on what you keep it stocked with, given you aren't aging bigger beers, you might want to just keep it cranked all the way down and pull your beers out slightly before pouring and drinking. The colder you keep them the better preserved they will be, particularly the IPAs.

Reactions: dtISU

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
It will depend heavily on what you keep it stocked with, given you aren't aging bigger beers, you might want to just keep it cranked all the way down and pull your beers out slightly before pouring and drinking. The colder you keep them the better preserved they will be, particularly the IPAs.

True, but you should never keep IPA's longer than 90 days anyway.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I keep mine at 45.

On a side note, a few weeks ago our wine fridge, where I keep some beer, stopped working. I was about ready to throw it out and buy new. Did a little research and replaced a $3 part(relay) and it now works like new. Apparently this happens to a lot of min fridges and wine coolers.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I keep mine at 45.

On a side note, a few weeks ago our wine fridge, where I keep some beer, stopped working. I was about ready to throw it out and buy new. Did a little research and replaced a $3 part(relay) and it now works like new. Apparently this happens to a lot of min fridges and wine coolers.

What brand do you have? Mine is a Magic Chef that the previous owner installed(under my kitchen counter) and the compressor crapped out. It was going to cost me $200 or something like that so I decided to just ask the wife for one as my Xmas gift.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
True, but you should never keep IPA's longer than 90 days anyway.
Mostly agree, but should one sneak into the back of my fridge, I'm certainly not drain pouring it at day 91. The colder temperatures will help preserve just about everything not just the IPAs, which in general is a good thing; the exception being big booze bombs that you want to mellow a bit (doesn't seem to be a case for the OP with maybe the exception of some Belgian quads and triples).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What brand do you have? Mine is a Magic Chef that the previous owner installed(under my kitchen counter) and the compressor crapped out. It was going to cost me $200 or something like that so I decided to just ask the wife for one as my Xmas gift.

Vinotemp from Costco. Mine was a couple hundred and purchased abut 4 years ago.