Beer Fridge - what temp?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
giphy.gif

Me, a 24 year old that still just drinks light beer like it's going out of style, reading about room temperature beer.
You're getting all kinds of important life wisdom in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: jc4cy

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
giphy.gif

Me, a 24 year old that still just drinks light beer like it's going out of style, reading about room temperature beer.
Typically you want to drink those lite burrs cold because it masks the off flavors, when beer actually tastes good you will appreciate it more at a higher temperature as everything is intensified.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I get the argument that if a beer is too cold you may mask some of the aromas, but I like that first taste to be ice cold every time. I don't care if it's a stout, ale, wheat, lager, etc.

Granted, by the time I finish one, it's likely warmed to optimal temp anyway.

Im the same way. Hell, i know wine snobs will have a stroke over it, but i like red wine cold as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Mostly agree, but should one sneak into the back of my fridge, I'm certainly not drain pouring it at day 91. The colder temperatures will help preserve just about everything not just the IPAs, which in general is a good thing; the exception being big booze bombs that you want to mellow a bit (doesn't seem to be a case for the OP with maybe the exception of some Belgian quads and triples).

Oh definitely agree about the drain pour, just stating in general(especially the NEIPA's) start to go downhill quickly.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm as big a beer snob as they come, but I just leave my beer fridge at "normal" temps. Somewhere around that 36°F mark, IIRC.

But I'm keeping all different styles of beers in it, bourbon barrel stouts to fresh IPA's. If I want the beer warmer I can leave it out for a bit.

I do NOT freeze the glasses. Not cool :mad: (pun not intended)

• Agree
Reactions: ZJohnson

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Like I mentioned, I tend to use an insulated pint glass with most beers. I like my beer cold to begin but they rarely last long enough to get even to room temperature. The cooler is fairly well stocked and I get in there every other day or so. It's not like it sits for days unopened.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm the proud owner of a new beer fridge with a temperature control (37° - 54°). It's installed indoors and only holds beer and kombucha. I currently have the temp set to 37° but after some basic research I'm thinking that's way too cold. I mostly drink Saisons, Belgians, IPAs, and sours. Not big on porters or stouts or other beers that are typically served at a warmer temp. I typically drink out of an insulated pint (Hydroflask) or standard glass pint. Looking for opinions on what temp to keep it at.

Going off of this link for serving temps. - Proper beer serving temps
A colder fridge is going to preserve your beer longer. A cold IPA will stay "fresh" longer. I keep my beer I'm "aging" in my unfinished basement which stays between 55-60 degrees all year long. Any beer I plan on drinking I put in my normal house fridge then take it out early before drinking it. My personal preference is to open it colder than I usually like it, let it open up so I can taste it develop over temperatures.

Nerd.

Reactions: ZJohnson

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron