Best Campustown Bars by Decade

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
This is such a great thread.

‘01-‘05ish

We spent a lot of time at People’s, Paddy’s, Cy’s, Sips, Dean’s list, and FAC at Mickey’s. I’m still not sure how I survived Fridays. Like we legit met at Mickey’s around 4pm and went until 2am +.

People’s was prob my favorite when they had Kentucky Friend Mullet. Towards the end, we ended up at Paddy’s often, especially Tuesday nights for darts. I remember it was so busy sometimes my friends would drag us down into Lumpy’s.

We’d go to Mo-Jazz too, but they started getting in trouble towards the end of my time in Ames.
‘00-‘03

FAC - Mickeys and Lumpys for quarter draws. Played flip cup in Lumpys.

Live music - Peoples

Saturday night - Mickeys, after 10pm they had 2fers shots in the basement.

Thursday night - was $10 cover and coin you call it at “chasers” (I think that was the name)

Away football games or post early home football games, Welch Ave Station, good drinks, pizza pit was up stairs and Brooke Burke watched you pee. (It is still the same and that is awesome)

Thumbs was always a good off the main grid place to chill.

Sips if you were drunk and looking to hook up.

Somewhere downtown was a bar that had coin you call it pitchers on Wednesday I think. Remember my buddy puking in a pitcher under that table.

If you were too young for that get $5-$10 bucks and walk campus Ave on Thursday-Saturday night and you were sure to find a good house party.

'01-'05

This brings back memories that I was sure were gone due to alcohol consumption. Thanks for that. I don't have much to add to the above quotes except that the Gyro man was a godsend at 2am (double meat, habanero was my go-to). Also I still hate my roommates that I had to pick up after Thirsty Thursdays during my junior year. I had class at 8am Friday (only time it was offered). I definitely saved them from making poor life decisions more than once.

Reactions: RedlineSi

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
‘00-‘03

FAC - Mickeys and Lumpys for quarter draws. Played flip cup in Lumpys.

Live music - Peoples

Saturday night - Mickeys, after 10pm they had 2fers shots in the basement.

Thursday night - was $10 cover and coin you call it at “chasers” (I think that was the name)

Away football games or post early home football games, Welch Ave Station, good drinks, pizza pit was up stairs and Brooke Burke watched you pee. (It is still the same and that is awesome)

Thumbs was always a good off the main grid place to chill.

Sips if you were drunk and looking to hook up.

Somewhere downtown was a bar that had coin you call it pitchers on Wednesday I think. Remember my buddy puking in a pitcher under that table.

If you were too young for that get $5-$10 bucks and walk campus Ave on Thursday-Saturday night and you were sure to find a good house party.
Thank you for this tip!

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
07-11' Honestly did more house parties than bars looking back. Had buddies that lived in the slaughterhouse on S. Hyland my Junior and Senior year so would start and end there. Wasn't until my senior year living on Hunt St. that we did bars.

Seemed like I only did WAS maybe a handful of times my entire time which now is where we all seem to meet up when back in town.

Would do Mickeys, Paddies, Cy's and usually end up at Outlaws on the dance floor or singing like jack wagons in the lower level. Few of us would get wild hairs and do Thumbs.

Can honestly say never stepped foot in Sips.

I do remember getting absolutely hammered when Wallabys was in west ames thanks to having a couple buddies who worked there as bartenders....thank goodness for cy ride

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
07-11' Honestly did more house parties than bars looking back. Had buddies that lived in the slaughterhouse on S. Hyland my Junior and Senior year so would start and end there. Wasn't until my senior year living on Hunt St. that we did bars.

Seemed like I only did WAS maybe a handful of times my entire time which now is where we all seem to meet up when back in town.

Would do Mickeys, Paddies, Cy's and usually end up at Outlaws on the dance floor or singing like jack wagons in the lower level. Few of us would get wild hairs and do Thumbs.

I do remember getting absolutely hammered when Wallabys was in west ames thanks to having a couple buddies who worked there as bartenders....thank goodness for cy ride

RIP to the House of Zeppelin

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
'01-'05

This brings back memories that I was sure were gone due to alcohol consumption. Thanks for that. I don't have much to add to the above quotes except that the Gyro man was a godsend at 2am (double meat, habanero was my go-to). Also I still hate my roommates that I had to pick up after Thirsty Thursdays during my junior year. I had class at 8am Friday (only time it was offered). I definitely saved them from making poor life decisions more than once.
My roommate and I hit the Gyro stand almost 3 times a week at 2am. They actually had an option called "the trough" where they would scoop that trough at the front of the flat top, INTO your Gyro. We talked my roommate into it once...it did not go well.

• Haha
Reactions: nrg4isu

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
So if it was already mentioned.
What was the place at North Grand that had progressive capt and coke? Guessing close to 2002-5ish

It was a resturant/ bar. Outside corner location. Would have walked past it going in towards the movies.

Diamond Dave's maybe?

Anyway, almost no one I knew could down more than 2 of those capt and cokes. They were crazy strong.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So if it was already mentioned.
What was the place at North Grand that had progressive capt and coke? Guessing close to 2002-5ish

It was a resturant/ bar. Outside corner location. Would have walked past it going in towards the movies.

Diamond Dave's maybe?

Anyway, almost no one I knew could down more than 2 of those capt and cokes. They were crazy strong.

It was Diamond Dave's. I live out by Ace Hardware. Was an easy walk there but seemed a tad longer getting home. Probably where I became such a big Capt & Coke guy.

Reactions: JP4CY and ISUKyro

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I've skipped a few pages, so not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but in the late '90s we would go to The Zone on Friday nights for penny pitchers. It was above the Corner Pocket. The most memorable moment from that place was the night Hoiberg and Loren Meyer showed up and bought a round for the bar. It was a fun place.
I was trying to think of this place as well. I don’t remember it being called the Zone in 2002ish but maybe it was still called that. Penny pitchers were still a thing. I think you paid like $5 cover.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I was trying to think of this place as well. I don’t remember it being called the Zone in 2002ish but maybe it was still called that. Penny pitchers were still a thing. I think you paid like $5 cover.
In the late 2000s it was called DG's, I believe.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm thinking this was the same house I lived in during '07-'08. SW corner of Lincoln and Hyland? Complete and utter **** hole. There was a constant party when we lived there, and some times said party didn't even involve the residents.

One time we were at a party at friend's place on Little St, and every person who lived in my house was at that party. One of our other buddies shows up at the party and goes "man, I just stopped by your place and there were two people f*cking on the couch! Who was it?" I respond "no clue, literally all of us have been here for over 2 hours".

So two strangers just walked into our place, screwed on the couch, and left.

Reactions: cytor and pulse

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
1713364212479.png

Can't recall the name of the bar that was a block west of Welch on Chamberlain back in the early 80's. Hated going there but that was quite a pick-up bar. To this day, I can't stand Foreigner, Head East and Loverboy that were one heavy rotation on the dance floor. Was this The Billboard? Didn't go too often to the Cave Inn or Granddaddy's unless a group really wanted to go.

My fav's:
  • Welch Ave Station (my first real introduction to international beers before the US craft beer scene)
  • Tork's Pub (cheap beer and peanuts on the floor)
  • Thumbs (G&T's, great FAC option)
  • Cy's (foosball and .... beer)
  • M Shop (only real alt music option)
  • Top of the Town (awesome speakers within their tiny dance floor)
  • Any house/floor party that we could sneak into
I would have killed for Peoples back then. It truly was Peaples Drug Store when I was there. Fun FAC spot downstairs though.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
View attachment 127612

Can't recall the name of the bar that was a block west of Welch on Chamberlain back in the early 80's. Hated going there but that was quite a pick-up bar. To this day, I can't stand Foreigner, Head East and Loverboy that were one heavy rotation on the dance floor. Was this The Billboard?
It was the Alibi through at least 1981.

• Agree
Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I'm thinking this was the same house I lived in during '07-'08. SW corner of Lincoln and Hyland? Complete and utter **** hole. There was a constant party when we lived there, and some times said party didn't even involve the residents.

One time we were at a party at friend's place on Little St, and every person who lived in my house was at that party. One of our other buddies shows up at the party and goes "man, I just stopped by your place and there were two people f*cking on the couch! Who was it?" I respond "no clue, literally all of us have been here for over 2 hours".

So two strangers just walked into our place, screwed on the couch, and left.
Had to look it up it was 213 S. Hyland

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also need to mention Cafe Northwest (now Boulder Tap House) we would go there after work in the '90's. They had some of the best wings. Also Barnaby's where Chick-Fil-A is was good of FAW.