Best Campustown Bars by Decade

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Tazzles & Cy’s were our main spots. Lost & Found Lounge above Cy’s for FAC 2fers. Coming out of there blitzed while people were still headed home from class on Fridays was an experience.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Also forgot to mention The Keg Shop on west Lincolnway. Not a bar, but they consistently supplied me with those $35 kegs of PBR that fueled my party appetite.
Back in the day, Tork’s Pub engaged in some heavy price wars vs the Keg Shop to the financial benefit of keg party hosts. Cecil aka The Beer Baron was the crazy owner of Tork’s back then and would never be beat on price for his PBR and Bud kegs.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
AJ’s liquor store had a great deal for 24 tallboys for $20. My buddies and I used to get Mich Golden. This felt like a luxury compared to the 30 racks of Natty Ice we usually drank.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
2007-2011:

Mickeys
Paddy's/Sips
Headliners (and then Charlie Yokes)
AJ's (when it was still on Lincoln)
WAS
Cy's
Es Tas

But most importantly: Angie's for 2am breakfast.
I’d go:

Mickeys
Paddys/Sips

And then I’m going to add these two ONLY based on FAC

Element (progressive pitchers)
Sgt. Peppers (cheap draws)

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
1975-1980. A different world, where anyone 18 or older could drink. So I did. Main Street had two main bars, Mondo’s and That Place, across the street. One or two smaller titty bars as well. Campustown had the Cave Inn, the Library and Cy’s Roost. West of campus had a delicatessen/bar (Dugans Deli) and a small bar called Torks Pub where I was unceremoniously ushered out after throwing a right jab to some guy who was annoying me. Some road trips on the back roads to Polk City (Broken Arrow) and side trips to Cambridge to visit Chris’s Go Go.
Yah these students today and for the last 25 years have NO IDEA how good it used to be.

Reactions: STLISU

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
These for $1 night prior to final semester of classes starting fall of 85 nearly killed me. At Cave Inn. Went to 8 a.m. class to assure placement. Dean of Business Dept teaching it. Only chair remaining is front row. He laughed and pointed at chair. All I could do was breathe heavy the entire shortened class. Ran out after and puked my guts up. Screenshot_20240415_204525_Chrome.jpg

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Dean's List had Silver Coin Night on Friday's from like 98-01 and we'd walk from our Stanton apartment to the Kum & Go and get a roll of nickels and drink for the rest of the night.

Who else remembers Honky Dory's out on HWY 30 around those same years. That could also be a fun time.
We had our wedding reception at Hunky Dorys Oct 14, 2000. Had Hickory Park catered.

I met my wife at Welch Ave Station.

Rode the firetruckfrom the church to Hunky Dorys with the wedding party.
Cy's Roost served beer in mason jars in the mid 90s. I may have confiscated a few for a friend while making more poor decisions.
Beertinis with the big green olives.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Cave Inn, circa 1985-ish in the Spring. Eighteen y/o me on a FAC with some juniors and seniors watched their buddy Dan Johnson, who was playing for the Dolphins at the time, grab a 60 ounce glass pitcher full of beer with his lips, hoist it up and down it it a few gulps. I've never seen muscle definition in a person's neck like that since.

Reactions: 2122

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Monday at the Cave In for dime draws dollar pitchers. The best was that pitchers had a $1 deposit, everyone would get so wasted they would not take their pitchers back for the deposit. Me and the buddies would "help" by clearing the tables and would collect enough refunds to fund our drinking for the rest of the week.

Friday FAC, starting at the Union. A little foggy on this but on the outside patios of the Union satrting at 3:00 they had cheap beer (25 cents, I think), live music, and grilled brats. Then head to the Cave In or Beamers for more 25 cent draws and scope out the ladies. Then hit Hardees on the way home for 3 burgers for a buck.

Lived on a floor with FB players who also were bouncers, so got all kinds of additional "specials" throughout the week.

Not a true bar, but there was a Duds and Suds on welch Ave where you could drink beer while doing laundry. Did it a few times just for ***** and giggles.

Not really campus town but in the Spring, would head out to Destinations on Hwy 30, Ames "only 5 level Night Club" for their wet T-Shirt competitions. Never had to pay a cover as always had a connection.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Monday at the Cave In for dime draws dollar pitchers. The best was that pitchers had a $1 deposit, everyone would get so wasted they would not take their pitchers back for the deposit. Me and the buddies would "help" by clearing the tables and would collect enough refunds to fund our drinking for the rest of the week.

Friday FAC, starting at the Union. A little foggy on this but on the outside patios of the Union satrting at 3:00 they had cheap beer (25 cents, I think), live music, and grilled brats. Then head to the Cave In or Beamers for more 25 cent draws and scope out the ladies. Then hit Hardees on the way home for 3 burgers for a buck.

Lived on a floor with FB players who also were bouncers, so got all kinds of additional "specials" throughout the week.

Not a true bar, but there was a Duds and Suds on welch Ave where you could drink beer while doing laundry. Did it a few times just for ***** and giggles.

Not really campus town but in the Spring, would head out to Destinations on Hwy 30, Ames "only 5 level Night Club" for their wet T-Shirt competitions. Never had to pay a cover as always had a connection.
Springtime FAC, 3 to 5 on the terrace at the MU with live music was better than the bar scene imho.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron