Best Campustown Bars by Decade

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
The Dean’s List in the early 00s. Way too many mugs of PBR consumed there in my days. It was a complete Sh$t hole but we were there every Wed.
How many places has that bar been? I remember Dean's List, then I THINK it rebranded in 2005ish.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
My roommate and I hit the Gyro stand almost 3 times a week at 2am. They actually had an option called "the trough" where they would scoop that trough at the front of the flat top, INTO your Gyro. We talked my roommate into it once...it did not go well.
Jimmy John’s or Pancheros at 2am for me. The gyro guy was always out there but the subs and burritos were more my craving!

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I loved FAC at Ajs because you could get 50 cent mixed drinks for 30 mins. Fajita man was my go to food on the way back.

My ex really liked outlaws but that place was disgusting to me. I caught guys peeing on the walls in the back stairwells a few times that made me never want to go back. Sips and paddy's were always way too crowded and loud. Rip district and their popcorn. I heard they weren't paying their employees either.

I always thought blue owl was underrated since it wasn't popular. It was one of the few bars that rarely had lines to wait for drinks and music was quiet enough you could have a conversation without screaming over music.

Reactions: State2015

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I was a big fan of Peoples, both for the live music and the FAC.
Lost & Found - Dark and quiet, bartenders brought their own music, so it could get weird.
Lumpys - Definition of a dive bar. I remember people peeing in the drain by the pool tables and all the gnats flying around in the bathroom.
Cys - Buck burgers were awesome. The place was a lot better before the remodel with the booths where everyone carved their names.
WAS - Was and still is great.
Deans List - Before Outlaws, you could really pound drinks there and the dance floor was pick up central.
Mickeys - Back deck was fun, basement was a little rapey for me.
Paddys - Too fratty for my taste.
Thumbs - Still hasn't chanced and the alley was fun when it was warm out.
Fox - GF lived a block away, so we hit this place up a lot. Some strange characters singing karaoke made for good entertainment.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
View attachment 127612

Can't recall the name of the bar that was a block west of Welch on Chamberlain back in the early 80's. Hated going there but that was quite a pick-up bar. To this day, I can't stand Foreigner, Head East and Loverboy that were one heavy rotation on the dance floor. Was this The Billboard? Didn't go too often to the Cave Inn or Granddaddy's unless a group really wanted to go.

My fav's:
  • Welch Ave Station (my first real introduction to international beers before the US craft beer scene)
  • Tork's Pub (cheap beer and peanuts on the floor)
  • Thumbs (G&T's, great FAC option)
  • Cy's (foosball and .... beer)
  • M Shop (only real alt music option)
  • Top of the Town (awesome speakers within their tiny dance floor)
  • Any house/floor party that we could sneak into
I would have killed for Peoples back then. It truly was Peaples Drug Store when I was there. Fun FAC spot downstairs though.
I'm pretty sure that was Beamers or something like it when I started at ISU.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I’ve heard so much about lumpys in here and from CW on podcasts and stuff. Wish that was around in the 2010s woulda loved it I’m sure

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I loved FAC at Ajs because you could get 50 cent mixed drinks for 30 mins. Fajita man was my go to food on the way back.

My ex really liked outlaws but that place was disgusting to me. I caught guys peeing on the walls in the back stairwells a few times that made me never want to go back. Sips and paddy's were always way too crowded and loud. Rip district and their popcorn. I heard they weren't paying their employees either.

I always thought blue owl was underrated since it wasn't popular. It was one of the few bars that rarely had lines to wait for drinks and music was quiet enough you could have a conversation without screaming over music.
All the campus town bars are disgusting, lets be honest.

The worst for me, was Cy's. That bathroom downstairs was...I can't even explain...a nightmare.

The things I saw down there...haunt me to this day.

Also, I had a picture of myself, @brentblum, @ChrisMWilliams and a couple other buddies from a night out at Sips, but it appears the owner of said photo on FB has deleted it....probably for the better :p

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
All the campus town bars are disgusting, lets be honest.

The worst for me, was Cy's. That bathroom downstairs was...I can't even explain...a nightmare.

The things I saw down there...haunt me to this day.

Also, I had a picture of myself, @brentblum, @ChrisMWilliams and a couple other buddies from a night out at Sips, but it appears the owner of said photo on FB has deleted it....probably for the better :p

It sure as hell didn't smell good 30 years ago.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I was a big fan of Peoples, both for the live music and the FAC.
Lost & Found - Dark and quiet, bartenders brought their own music, so it could get weird.
Lumpys - Definition of a dive bar. I remember people peeing in the drain by the pool tables and all the gnats flying around in the bathroom.
Cys - Buck burgers were awesome. The place was a lot better before the remodel with the booths where everyone carved their names.
WAS - Was and still is great.
Deans List - Before Outlaws, you could really pound drinks there and the dance floor was pick up central.
Mickeys - Back deck was fun, basement was a little rapey for me.
Paddys - Too fratty for my taste.
Thumbs - Still hasn't chanced and the alley was fun when it was warm out.
Fox - GF lived a block away, so we hit this place up a lot. Some strange characters singing karaoke made for good entertainment.
I forgot a bout Lumpys. Great dive bar

We always called Peoples the frat bar.

I had a buddy who moved into the apartments a block away from Fox shortly after we graduated. I remember watching the 2004 Independence Bowl win there.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
These were the best nights:

And sadness:

Reactions: Al_4_State

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Billboard changed to State field house, then Beamers?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Welch had $2 Long Islands one summer I was in Ames. Pretty sure the most damage I did to my body via alcohol occurred that summer.
Summers were great. Turn of the century timeframe for me, and People's in the summer was great. Never went there during the school year, but it was awesome in the summer. They had some good Long Island deal nights.

Cy's was also more my typical speed, more laid back.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Anyone remember the FOX Lounge? It was a cool place to hang.
Well, I remember the Fox Lounge II. Not sure where Fox Lounge I was.

That was karaoke hang, and I don't know where they got their shot glasses, but they were monsters.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Summers were great. Turn of the century timeframe for me, and People's in the summer was great. Never went there during the school year, but it was awesome in the summer. They had some good Long Island deal nights.

Cy's was also more my typical speed, more laid back.
Everything was better during the summer. Smaller crowds meant smaller lines, especially since we did way more weeknight drinking during the summer.