Best IPA brewed in Iowa

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I think the Des Moines IPA has gone a little downhill recently. When’s it good, it’s very good, but I’ve had it at a few places where it tasted flat and lacked bitterness. Not consistent enough for me.

My answers would be the No Coast/No Coast Grapefruit IPA from Peace Tree with honorable mentions of Madhouse Hopburst and Firetrucker Tropical Burn. I will admit I need to start trying more though.

A little off topic here but I was in Canada 2 weeks ago and ordered what was supposed to be an IPA from a local brewery and it had zero bitterness. Tasted like a bad lager actually. Stuck with Molson after that:)

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
You're right. Apologies. I'll take Tropical Burn as the winner then ;)

But, to get even MORE pedantic, the BJCP lists the IBU range on an APA as 30-45 and IPA as 40-70. Psuedo has an IBU of 50 which, to me, puts it as an IPA even if they call it an APA.

Hmmm...the last BJCP I see lists APAs as 30-50, but either way, I think the classification has more to do with types and amounts of hops than IBUs, but I could be wrong.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
None of them because the only way to judge an IPA is which one taste the most like ****
GDp7LycxkT3LG.gif

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do they brew all of it in FL? I had assumed they were still brewing some in Decorah.

could be. I just heard the story that production had moved to Florida.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
TG brews bombers in Iowa. Cans of Psuedo are coming from Florida.

As far as the APA/IPA thing. I don't care what it's called, it's an IPA in my world.

My favorite IPA's from Iowa in no order

TG Pompeii
TG Golden Nugget
TG Zeelander
Pulpit Rock Mr Hoppy Pants DIPA (Probably my #1)
TG King Sue DIPA
Confluence Rock Dodger DIPA
Firetrucker Tropical Burn DIPA
Lion Bridge Click Bait DIPA
Pulpit Rock Whippy DIPah DIPA
TG Psuedo Sue
TG Lightspeed
515 Passe
515 Medicore
515 Blasse
Big Grove Arms Race

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Except everything that comes from Florida is garbage. TG beer has gone downhill since moving to Brewhub IMO.

I agree with the first few batches but the last few have been spot on. A few of us had a get together a few weeks ago with both fresh bombers and fresh sue cans and did a blind taste test. 2 guys liked the florida sue better, 1 liked the decorah sue better, and 3 thought there was very little difference.

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
I agree with the first few batches but the last few have been spot on. A few of us had a get together a few weeks ago with both fresh bombers and fresh sue cans and did a blind taste test. 2 guys liked the florida sue better, 1 liked the decorah sue better, and 3 thought there was very little difference.

Could be. I haven't bought any Sue in a long time. Sue used to have a cloudiness to it. It doesn't have that anymore. Just lacks the flavor it used to have. Still a good beer, I used to buy it every chance I had. Pompeii is probably my favorite beer of theirs that you can readily get your hands on.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Winner
Pseudo Sue - Toppling Goliath (Decorah)

Honorable Mentions
Tropical Burn - Firetrucker (Ankeny)
Yard Sale - Lion Bridge (Cedar Rapids)
Sorry to technicality but Sue is a Pale Ale, and Tropical Burn, which is probably #2 for me is technically a DIPA....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron