Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forget.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I just wanted to start a thread to thank the man for some very exciting times during his tenure. He brought Cyclone basketball back from the doldrums and turned us into a regional power and Big 12 contender. He showed class at all times and was a great Cyclone in every way. I'm very sad to see him go, honestly miss having him as our head coach even as I'm typing this, but I hope he takes Chicago to more NBA titles and success. Even as their coach, he is a representative of the Cyclone Nation and he will ever remain our Mayor. None of us should blame a man for following his dream, and Fred has had the good fortune and tremendous work ethic to follow TWO of his dreams...much to the benefit of Cyclone and Bulls fan.

The Iowa State Mens basketball program will move forward to bigger and better things, and it will remain Fred who was the man to launch us to that level. The next coach will take up where Fred left off, and we will continue to rival Kansas for the Big 12 crown year in and out. In fact, we will take that crown off their head next season and shove it up their tailpipe....but I digress. Good luck to you Fred, and the best wishes of all good Cyclone fans go with you. Hoiball!

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Re: Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forge

As I said in another thread, he took over a dumpster fire and pulled ISU hoops out of the ISU football death spiral it was in.

Last edited:

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Re: Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forge

What a ride, Fred! Great memories and what a difference 5 years can make! Good luck and hopefully we'll see ya soon.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I personally hope that he achieves his dreams and succeeds at the next level.

I also dearly hope that our next coach properly uses what good things are left here for him. We are a top-10 talent team with or without Fred. Now, we just need someone in that can correctly allocate that topic.

I think Otz can do it.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Fred has done nothing but great things for ISU, but he was always clear that the NBA was on his bucketlist. Seems that he was honest out of the gate and you have to respect that.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

Fred definitely turned this program around. Now to get someone who can keep up and build on our momentum

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Absolutely. Fred has meant so much to Iowa State, and I can't thank him enough for that. Very sad to see him go, but hope he kicks butt in the NBA and returns some day, in some capacity.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

Uh, hmmmmm.

He's not the guy who I thought he was. But I am of absolutely no importance to FH, so my opinion of Fred -- good or bad or in between -- doesn't matter to anyone but me. And, since I don't know FH personally, I really cannot be stunned by the choice flowing from his personal desire. I had no idea what is of the utmost professional importance to him. I had hoped it was Iowa State. It is something else. And that is his business, not mine.

What is of the utmost importance to me, though, is Iowa State. My hard focus is on ISU. Nevertheless, my periphery vision sees FH ambling off, toward the eastern horizon. I note that movement, but a moment from now I know, as FH disappears from sight, he will be lost to my conscious mind. From this point onward, in my view, FH is not central to Cyclone athletics.

What was is no longer.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I just upvoted Mesaclone, thanks a ******* lot, Fred... Do you see what you've done!?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Up is down. Left is right. Cats and dogs living together. Give it a few days, and all will return to normal.

Having a coach come in and make your program rise to higher levels...is rarely a bad thing in the long run. Good programs take that kind of momentum and invest in continuing it...and I am fully confident that Jamie Pollard is doing exactly that. As we speak/type..

Last edited:

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames

Cheesy post

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007

I just wanted to start a thread to thank the man for some very exciting times during his tenure. He brought Cyclone basketball back from the doldrums and turned us into a regional power and Big 12 contender. He showed class at all times and was a great Cyclone in every way. I'm very sad to see him go, honestly miss having him as our head coach even as I'm typing this, but I hope he takes Chicago to more NBA titles and success. Even as their coach, he is a representative of the Cyclone Nation and he will ever remain our Mayor. None of us should blame a man for following his dream, and Fred has had the good fortune and tremendous work ethic to follow TWO of his dreams...much to the benefit of Cyclone and Bulls fan.

The Iowa State Mens basketball program will move forward to bigger and better things, and it will remain Fred who was the man to launch us to that level. The next coach will take up where Fred left off, and we will continue to rival Kansas for the Big 12 crown year in and out. In fact, we will take that crown off their head next season and shove it up their tailpipe....but I digress. Good luck to you Fred, and the best wishes of all good Cyclone fans go with you. Hoiball!
I agree. Now we are bashing one of our own because he is ambitious and shrewd. I get it, my/our feelings are hurt, but that is part of life and the sooner we ALL get over it the better. It could get to the point where we embarrass the hell out of ourselves. I get it, he's The Mayor, but in the end this will be no different than Cael, Floyd, Bruce or Majors leaving. It sucks, but we have to move forward.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Nobody considers this....but Fred wasn't perfect as coach...so what happens if the next coach is BETTER than he was? That is also a possible outcome, and its a very possible one IMHO. There is opportunity here to really launch the program to the next level.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Hard to follow that post but I agree completely! It was a huge risk at the time and I wouldn't change a thing! Best of luck to Fred and Thank You for an amazing 5 years and for dragging Iowa State out of the dump!

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area

Nobody considers this....but Fred wasn't perfect as coach...so what happens if the next coach is BETTER than he was? That is also a possible outcome, and its a very possible one IMHO. There is opportunity here to really launch the program to the next level.
We can only hope this is true. It may happen, and if it does we all will forget about Hoiberg a lot quicker.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011

Thanks for nothing, but letting us finally see you for the man you aren't.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Macclone is about 5 minutes away from cutting himself he's so emo.

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA

Thanks for Nothing, really? Yah I'll call you out on this.........4 - 1 record vs. IA, las t 4 seasons (out of 5) in NCAA, 2 B12 Tourn Championships. Most wins vs. Top 25 Teams last couple years. Yah the season ended not how we expected, also several didn't know he was advised to have heart surgery in Nov. vs. April. Put ISU MBB back on the map with no coaching experiance when came in, nothing..................perfect, no but best thing that has happened to ISU MBB in a while, YES! Delete your CF account, go back to jail, put on your nut cup and take it like a man!!!!!

CoachYearsRecord Win %Conf RecordNCAA RecordNCAA Win %# YR NCAA
Orr1981-94218-20052.20%79-117 3-633.33%6
Floyd1995-9881-4763.30%30-30 4-357.14%3
Eustachy1999-03101-5963.20%42-38 3-260.00%2
Morgan2004-0655-3958.50%22-26 1-150.00%1
McDermott2007-1059-6846.50%18-46 0-00.00%0
The Mayor2011-Current115-5567.70%49-39 4-450.00%4

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO

Please, you're trying to tell me McDreamy wasn't perfect. Did you ever look into his eyes?