Best sports time of the year?

Favorite sports time of year?

• Total voters

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
All of the sports other people have brought up are contained to North America, why would anyone else watch? Just like I don't want to watch a bunch of foreigners stand around on a patch of grass kicking the ball backwards and falling everytime someone brushes against them...

Oh no....Do I have to start defending soccer again.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee
All of the sports other people have brought up are contained to North America, why would anyone else watch? Just like I don't want to watch a bunch of foreigners stand around on a patch of grass kicking the ball backwards and falling everytime someone brushes against them...

i believe brianhos brought up the olympics and le tour, which dont take place in north america, except on occasion. plus, the title doesnt say north america only. i can tell that you dont understand the beautiful game at all

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
i believe brianhos brought up the olympics and le tour, which dont take place in north america, except on occasion. plus, the title doesnt say north america only. i can tell that you dont understand the beautiful game at all

Oh, I understand it, and have played, mainly because I was decent at it, never really liked it...

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
No........
I promised myself....
take a breath....
nope....
not gonna do it....
let it go....
I will not....defend soccer anymore
I like it and who cares if no one else does.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
March Madness is my favorite, but i voted for the college football regular season. Here's why, i only really enjoy the 1st weekend(1st and 2nd rounds) of the tourneament. Then they take 5-6 days off and play again. By the time the 1st weekend is over, 3/4 of the teams are gone and there are fewer upsets the deeper we get in.

Plus you cant beat waking up at 5 in the morning and heading up to JTS on a fall day.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia

Ok I agree with that the flopping gets a bit annoying, but to me nothing is better than every country competing for the same title, instead of competing for who is best in the US (and sometimes Canada). What is better than most countries competing for one ultimate goal. Maybe it is because as Americans we all know we are not the best at it. I would hate for ISU fans to be the same way, to where we would hate a sport that our team was not very good at, ISU would have been out of many sports teams long ago.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Ok I agree with that the flopping gets a bit annoying, but to me nothing is better than every country competing for the same title, instead of competing for who is best in the US (and sometimes Canada). What is better than most countries competing for one ultimate goal. Maybe it is because as Americans we all know we are not the best at it. I would hate for ISU fans to be the same way, to where we would hate a sport that our team was not very good at, ISU would have been out of many sports teams long ago.

If the best athletes in America trained like the Europeans and South Americans from the time they were infants then then US would dominate soccer much like every other sport. Unfortunately for soccer in the US, that will never happen. The best athletes will be divided through the major sports first then soccer. Every once in a while you might get one interested in soccer early on, but that will be a huge minority.

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
Football is definently the better sport but there just isn't anything like watchn 10 hours of basketball a day during march madness!

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
If the best athletes in America trained like the Europeans and South Americans from the time they were infants then then US would dominate soccer much like every other sport. Unfortunately for soccer in the US, that will never happen. The best athletes will be divided through the major sports first then soccer. Every once in a while you might get one interested in soccer early on, but that will be a huge minority.

That is a bit naive to say, what sport can you say we have dominated in the last ten years? Do not include football, since we are the only ones who really play it. The fact that your would even suggest the idea that we are dominate in any sport is insulting to every other country.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee

i dont believe the u.s. dominates baseball and last time i checked we didnt win the gold medal in basketball. so your domination of every sport argument is invalid. if europeans and south americans trained everyday in american football and baseball then i think they would contend very well with the u.s. in other countries it seems like the best athletes play soccer and then they are dispersed to other sports. all in all, the u.s. sports cant compete with the world cup, nothing else needs to be said

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
Are you people serious? Do you really think if the US didnt have the NBA and we simply took are best players and they practiced year around that we wouldn't dominate everyone else? And as far as other sports look at the summer olympics we seem to do pretty well at that except for an occasional ping pong match or two. It may sound cocky:yes: BUT come on we ARE AMERICANS!! We were born to think we were better than everyone else! :smile:

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Are you people serious? Do you really think if the US didnt have the NBA and we simply took are best players and they practiced year around that we wouldn't dominate everyone else? And as far as other sports look at the summer olympics we seem to do pretty well at that except for an occasional ping pong match or two. It may sound cocky:yes: BUT come on we ARE AMERICANS!! We were born to think we were better than everyone else! :smile:

I guess I must not be American because I do not beleive that I am better than everyone born out side of this country. Fact is, we do have the NBA and we do not dominate in basketball. I would love for you to prove that we would dominate in basketball right now. Fact is it is impossible.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
For me personally it will always be the month of May which culminates in the Indianapolis 500. 2008 will be my 45th consecutive in attendance.

After that comes college football season, I can't get enough of that. This will go against the trend, but I used to love March Madness, and still do if we are in it, but other than our games I don't watch it much anymore.

12redskin

Dec 19, 2007

Well we bealey won.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
i think what he may be trying to say is since it comes only once every four years it is the greatest sporting event/tournament in the world, no questions. to make his point he is saying that since so many people watch it this proves that it is the best. i dont think he was saying that just because so many other people watch then i will to therefore it is the best, or whatever dumb thing you said about people eating animal guts

Dumb? Dumb?!

Dang soccer hooligans getting out of line again... Why don't you have some drink boxes and orange wedges and just calm down.

:yes:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I guess I must not be American because I do not beleive that I am better than everyone born out side of this country. Fact is, we do have the NBA and we do not dominate in basketball. I would love for you to prove that we would dominate in basketball right now. Fact is it is impossible.

The US has been caught up to in basketball, but it is still the best in the world. Look for our Olympic standing to improve now that the committee has swallowed their pride and admitted we need to

A) Practice together prior to the Games
B) Keep the same core of players on team for several years
C) Build a team based on positions and need rather than names

I admit the world is much better than in the 80's and that the teams as composed the last couple Olympics were picked apart. But every other country in the world practices their national team for at least a quarter of the year together. We were grabbing random guys and throwing to it because it worked for the Dream Team.

Help Support Us

Become a patron