Best towns in Iowa

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What are some smaller towns that have impressed people? I've done a little RAGBRAI over the years, and it always seems that I find a place that surprises me. Here's a couple I'm familiar with (for various reasons) that I think deserve a shout out (not saying any are the best town in Iowa by any stretch).

West Point (Lee County). Went through here on RAGBRAI a few years ago. For as much of a dump as the river towns in SE Iowa were, I was really impressed with some of the "inland" small towns. This town was clean, appeared prosperous, and had a couple of really nice and fun bars/restaurants.

Protivin (Howard County). Not untypical for Northeast Iowa, but Protivin in particular has always struck me with an intense local pride. People come back there, put down roots, and keep it moving. Czech Days is one of those quintessential small town festivals that they really do right.

Kalona (Washington County). Have a lot of family friends from the area. It benefits from it's proximity to Iowa City, but prior to the 380 corridor's explosion, I was always impressed by the cleanliness, prosperous nature of the community, and community pride. Every time I visited, it seemed Rockwellian.

St Ansgar (Mitchell County). Grew up near here, lots of family live here, and I've always had a high opinion of the community. Young people are coming back here, and investing heavily in the community. Plenty of newer homes being built on the edge of the town, and a high quality school district for being Class A/1A.

Walnut (Pottawattamie County). Had some college buddies from the area. Drove through and was very surprised by the well kept, thriving downtown. Seems like being on I-80 and close to Omaha has allowed to develop that antique store niche, but compared to many of the other small towns I've been through in that area, it seems like it was doing really well.
Most of the people in West Point are Catholic, all going to the same church has allowed them to develop a true sense of pride in their community. They used to have Marquette Catholic school which also helped build up town pride, and now they have the MS for Holy Trinity. Have a very good friend that has lived there for years, and they do not mess around with people that do not keep their property and homes up to the standards that they have always had. Close enough to work in Fort Madison or Burlington and drive back and forth. Great bedroom community with a sense of pride in itself, I wish more towns had it.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Sioux Center is impressive for its cleanliness, infrastructure and thriving industry (mostly ag). It is less than an hour from Sioux Falls with all it's benefits. Dordt College, very strong school systems, good health center.

However, if your looking for entertainment (outside of Reformed Church activities) you shouldn't probably move there...but if you are looking for a safe and great place to raise a family...then it definitely deserves a visit.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Also...Humboldt and Algona are nice communities to consider. Stay away from Emmetsburg, Forest City and avoid Mason City as much as Fort Dodge.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
IMO Mason City is much better than Fort Dodge. Plus, you have Clear Lake right there.
Growing up I totally agree that Mason City was much better than Fort Dodge. Now if you head downtown MC it is depressing. The mall and main street are a ghost town...so sad....just like FD. I agree the best part of MC is really the East side of Clear Lake.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Growing up I totally agree that Mason City was much better than Fort Dodge. Now if you head downtown MC it is depressing. The mall and main street are a ghost town...so sad....just like FD. I agree the best part of MC is really the East side of Clear Lake.
Huh? Mason City's downtown is way ahead of Fort Dodge's and much better than it was 15 years ago or so. They've added a bunch of cool places north of the old mall, which they've done a pretty good job of finding decent use for.

Mason City has some rough parts which bring it down, but it has some really nice parts too.

Mason City seems to be improving. I don't get that impression from Fort Dodge at all.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Sioux Center is impressive for its cleanliness, infrastructure and thriving industry (mostly ag). It is less than an hour from Sioux Falls with all it's benefits. Dordt College, very strong school systems, good health center.

However, if your looking for entertainment (outside of Reformed Church activities) you shouldn't probably move there...but if you are looking for a safe and great place to raise a family...then it definitely deserves a visit.

Bunch of damn weirdo's up that way. Nice town though.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
They used to do dollar hamburger nights (no cheese, it's an extra dollar for a cheeseburger) and it was always packed with townies

I grew up in the area and I regularly went there, super greasy but very delicious. There used to be a sand volleyball court too, but from Google Maps looks like they stopped maintaining it
I do believe that they still do a dollar burger night. Haven't been there in a while. It still is always packed.

They stopped the volleyball, I believe, when somebody (not me) got a little tipsy and then crashed into a table - didn't get hurt, but just think of the insurance issue that would have caused.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If we're going tiny towns, Lawler is really nice. Clean, well kept, nice little town festival every year. Kind of everything you'd want if you'd choose that path.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I do believe that they still do a dollar burger night. Haven't been there in a while. It still is always packed.

They stopped the volleyball, I believe, when somebody (not me) got a little tipsy and then crashed into a table - didn't get hurt, but just think of the insurance issue that would have caused.
Glad to hear that. The place is truly one of those community establishments that would be sad to lose.

Totally understandable about the volleyball!