Best way to make beef brisket in a crock pot!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Lol, some of you guys take this message board stuff too seriously. Of course eating some smoked ribs won't kill you, but there is scientific evidence that eating diets high in smoked and charred meats as your main source of food can cause health risks. Moderation is the key.
We understand. It's just that we tend to be very proud of our meat.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You don’t spend much time in in-state rivals, do you?
Not too much.

I generally try to keep my "in-state rivals" posts silly. I stay away from discussing politics. However, insulting smoked meat is really hitting me right in the heart. He may as well have said that puppies are ugly. I have my priorities and values. I don't think they are misplaced.

Reactions: BCClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I've heard that most of the time in restaurants they'll cook your steak 1/2 a step down from what you actually order. I've always ordered my steaks medium, and pretty much every time they come to the table medium rare. But I'm with @CtownCyclone , I don't usually order steak when we're out to eat anymore, would rather get something I couldn't do just as well on my own.
If you say it's not done enough, they can just cook it more. If you say it's too done, they have to throw it away and eat the cost of that steak. So it makes sense for them to do that.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Just made a slow-cooker roast tonight. We have one that has a teflon coated steel basin and includes Lo-Med-Hi Stovetop settings, rather than the traditional ceramic basin. I like to do the following:

1. Put a little olive or canola oil in the bottom on Hi, and liberally season the roast with salt and pepper while it heats up.
  2. Put the roast in the hot oil to sear, using tongs to flip so it sears on all sides.
  3. When you flip it to sear the last side, turn the settings from Stove Hi to Slow-Cooker Low. The residual heat in the basin will still sear the last side.
  4. Once the last side is done searing, pull the meat out and put the slow-cooker rack in the bottom of the basin. Set the meat on the rack so it's not directly on the basin. Don't add any liquids. Close the lid nd cook for 6-8 hours.
  5. Once the meat is done, pull it out to rest. Drain the fat and drippings from the basin. Now we're making a pan sauce. I have to do this because my wife will only eat well done beef.
  6. Turn the cooker back to Stove Hi and add a tbsp of butter. Add some diced onions and garlic to sauté. Scrape up any little bit of roast that are stuck to the bottom and mix with butter/onion/garlic.
  7. Separate the drippings from the fat. Once onions are sufficiently cooked, poor the drippings into the basin. If there's not enough liquid (or you just want to get crazy) add water/broth/red wine/whiskey/whatever. Keep the heat high and reduce to about half.
  8. Add thickener if desired (cornstarch mixed with cold water, or cream cheese for low-carb).
Slice the meat thin and fan it out on the plate, then drizzle the sauce over the meet. It's a beautiful thing.
If you don't have a slow-cooker with Stove Top settings, you can do all the searing and sauce stuff in a separate pan. It's just really nice to avoid making more dishes. Or if you are doing a traditional roast in the oven, you can do the same thing in the roasting pan on the stove.

CtownCyclone

I got one more silver dollar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've heard that most of the time in restaurants they'll cook your steak 1/2 a step down from what you actually order. I've always ordered my steaks medium, and pretty much every time they come to the table medium rare. But I'm with @CtownCyclone , I don't usually order steak when we're out to eat anymore, would rather get something I couldn't do just as well on my own.

There are one or two local places that know how to properly cook the meat. Those are the only places I will order one at. If it's any sort of chain, I usually will just skip the steak and order something else.

I've gotten to the point where I'll use the cast iron skillet method of searing the outside and finishing in the oven. Gives me a nice crust and just the right level of being done, all while swimming in whatever butter/garlic/oil I choose.

CtownCyclone

I got one more silver dollar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
If you don't have a slow-cooker with Stove Top settings, you can do all the searing and sauce stuff in a separate pan. It's just really nice to avoid making more dishes. Or if you are doing a traditional roast in the oven, you can do the same thing in the roasting pan on the stove.

This is where an InstantPot comes in handy. I have made some phenomenal roasts in the InstantPot that just fall apart. Plus, it takes less time once you get the recipe down. Alas, the great roasts that I've made, my wife has not saved the recipe for quick reference. Shame on me, I guess, for not making sure it's been saved.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lol, some of you guys take this message board stuff too seriously. Of course eating some smoked ribs won't kill you, but there is scientific evidence that eating diets high in smoked and charred meats as your main source of food can cause health risks. Moderation is the key.

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: MisterO and JCity

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There are one or two local places that know how to properly cook the meat. Those are the only places I will order one at. If it's any sort of chain, I usually will just skip the steak and order something else.

I've gotten to the point where I'll use the cast iron skillet method of searing the outside and finishing in the oven. Gives me a nice crust and just the right level of being done, all while swimming in whatever butter/garlic/oil I choose.

Join the Reverse Sear Revolution!!! Oven first my friend!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This is where an InstantPot comes in handy. I have made some phenomenal roasts in the InstantPot that just fall apart. Plus, it takes less time once you get the recipe down. Alas, the great roasts that I've made, my wife has not saved the recipe for quick reference. Shame on me, I guess, for not making sure it's been saved.
We do have an Instant Pot as well, but use the other slow cooker more often. It's easier to clean since it doesn't have all the pieces to the lid.

My wifenhas developed an allium intolerance, meaning she can't eat anything from that family of plants. Unfortunately that includes onions and garlic. So we basically only use salt and pepper for seasoning anything. If I make something with garlic/onion, I have to be really careful to avoid contamination because she gets really ill for about 48 hours with just trace amounts. There are other foods she can't eat as well - apples, grapes, etc that contain a kind of sugar she doesn't handle well.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Put meat in crock pot.

Sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic on it.

Add some beef broth.

Select "low" setting on crock pot.

Wait 7 hours. - Add broth if it dries out during that time.

Reactions: MisterO

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Who eats smoked or charred meats as their main source of food?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron