Best way to make beef brisket in a crock pot!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Lots of calls to add a bunch of water to the slow cooker, and I disagree. Putting water in the slow cooker with a big piece of meat is essentially the same thing as boiling your meat in a pot for 4-8 hours. Boiling water will only be a little over 200°, roughly the same temperature used to smoke or slow cook anything. But you wouldn't drop a roast into a pot of boiling water all day right? The moisture is already in the meat, and what cooks out is enough keep the meat from burning on the bottom.

When the crackpot instructions say "fill 1/2 to 3/4 full," they mean to make sure the food takes up that fraction of the total volume. You don't have to fill the basin with water to the 1/2 or 3/4 line (unless the recipe calls for it, and for a big piece of meat it won't).

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
This is where an InstantPot comes in handy. I have made some phenomenal roasts in the InstantPot that just fall apart. Plus, it takes less time once you get the recipe down. Alas, the great roasts that I've made, my wife has not saved the recipe for quick reference. Shame on me, I guess, for not making sure it's been saved.
Yep- an easy way to make a solid roast is to:

1. Cut roast into thirds.
2. Add a large can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup.
3. Add a package of Brown Gravy.

stir occasionally for 8 hours and watch the magic.
* for larger roasts, double the soup and gravy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lots of calls to add a bunch of water to the slow cooker, and I disagree. Putting water in the slow cooker with a big piece of meat is essentially the same thing as boiling your meat in a pot for 4-8 hours. Boiling water will only be a little over 200°, roughly the same temperature used to smoke or slow cook anything. But you wouldn't drop a roast into a pot of boiling water all day right? The moisture is already in the meat, and what cooks out is enough keep the meat from burning on the bottom.

When the crackpot instructions say "fill 1/2 to 3/4 full," they mean to make sure the food takes up that fraction of the total volume. You don't have to fill the basin with water to the 1/2 or 3/4 line (unless the recipe calls for it, and for a big piece of meat it won't).
I said to do it in roasters. What roasters are meant for. You pull the pan, put in a little water and that keep humidity in the pan and avoids burning.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I've gotten to the point where I'll use the cast iron skillet method of searing the outside and finishing in the oven. Gives me a nice crust and just the right level of being done, all while swimming in whatever butter/garlic/oil I choose.

Reactions: arobb

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
People who order steaks well done deserve to have their steaks brought to them burnt to a crisp. Well done beef is a waste of that cow's life.

There are certain cuts of beef that need to be cooked to or even past well done, brisket being one of them.

Reactions: besserheimerphat