Big 12 Allowed to Hold Championship Game Without Expansion

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
wait - so the vote allows conferences to have top two teams in CGG, right? so why would the AAC or ACC just get rid of divisions? Seems super simple.

edit... in the post everyone like, what is "**** you money"? I don't understand this.

The Big 12, without a title game, currently makes more than the ACC does with one.

The Big 12 + title game = even wider financial gap between the leagues. This equates to a much higher likelihood for the Big 12's long term survival, which is good for Iowa State.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
^ 2015 mindset

^ 2014 mindset

I think the 2015 scenario and mindset will ring true more often. If the Big XII is already in the CFP, why risk getting them knocked out. I guess it could come back to bite the Big XII in the *** if the committee holds a grudge against the Big XII for deciding not to have a championship game.

I also think that eventually the CFP goes to 8 teams. In which case, why add a guaranteed loss to one of your top teams? That could keep you from getting 2 in.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The Big IIXII can still do divisions that give Iowa State and Kansas a chance to make the title game and help to guarantee that we don't risk losing two potential playoff teams.

We just need to follow the B1G's methodology for creating divisions - load up a "strong" division and a weak division while keeping the round robin. Make sure that Texas Tech, Iowa State, kansas State, Kansas and West Virginia are in one division and the powers are in the other.

This is absolutely correct and leaves the door open for 2 big 12 teams in the playoffs. A one loss OU not playinging in the championship game while a 1 loss or undefeated TCU beats KSU or WVU in the championship game. TCU is in and OU has a shot.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The Big 12 should simplify the tiebreakers here:

In a two-team tie, head to head winner gets the spot.

In a three-team tie, where each team went 1-1 against the other two, the best CFP committee ranking(s) should win.

Have to try to maximize playoff odds.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Good for the Big 12 as a whole, bad for ISU's hopes of winning more games since we likely won't be adding teams anytime soon now.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The Big 12, without a title game, currently makes more than the ACC does with one.

The Big 12 + title game = even wider financial gap between the leagues. This equates to a much higher likelihood for the Big 12's long term survival, which is good for Iowa State.

Yup! Some of that income disparity is due to the ACC cable network. The ACC put a bunch of eggs (i.e. promised future income) in the ACC cable network. It was supposed to launch in 2017, but now seems to pushed out further, and delaying that promised income. Some unhappy campers in the ACC because of this.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Love it. It also trickles down to not needing to add schools right now and not having round robin. I never knew what I was missing out by not having round robin during the North and South days. Football is tougher for us now, but I think scheduling wise it makes so much sense.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
i dont know.

but doesn't the proposal allow a CCG between the top 2 teams? Does it say anything about having to use division champs if they exist?

I believe, but am not certain, it says it must be between division champs, unless you play a full round robin, where then it can be between the two tops teams.

CySoup

Dec 29, 2015
This is absolutely horrible for the Big 12 unless they go to divisions. Can you imagine two years ago picking which 2 teams make the championship game? Can you imagine this year making an outright champ play an extra game against a team it just beat. Not only that, but which team gets a crack at Oklahoma again (OSU or TCU)?

Best case scenario of ISU is to go to division. Worse case is staying at 10, playing a round robin schedule, and pitting the #1 and #2 teams, that would be complete idiocy.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Bowlsby gets a lot of heat, but there's not many AD's and Commissioners that know football as well as he does.

The ACC wants the 2 best teams regardless of division in championship game since the ACC is a 2 team league(Clemson, FSU), but the BIG wants the power 5 to treat CGs the same throughout although they don't want to force B12 to expand. I would prefer to add 2 teams and go with divisions since we might actually win 7 or 8 games once in awhile if the schedule allows it, but there aren't really any great candidates to add. BYU, Houston, Cincinnati? None of them sound great. The B12 really missed the boat on adding Louisville.

If we do expand I hope they don't split it up by geography since that could put TCU, Baylor, Texas, and Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech all in the same division and that would be bad for the conference. People made fun of the Leaders and Legends, but those divisions were very balanced and now the BIG divisions are unbalanced.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
When they add a CG they need to mix up the schedules, OU/Baylor should be playing the beginning of October, same for any of the top teams. If we've learned anything in 2 years of the CFP we have learned that losing doesn't kill you as long as you lose early enough(or are Alabama). Let the top dogs battle it out early and then meet up again in the CG.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
This is absolutely horrible for the Big 12 unless they go to divisions. Can you imagine two years ago picking which 2 teams make the championship game? Can you imagine this year making an outright champ play an extra game against a team it just beat. Not only that, but which team gets a crack at Oklahoma again (OSU or TCU)?

Best case scenario of ISU is to go to division. Worse case is staying at 10, playing a round robin schedule, and pitting the #1 and #2 teams, that would be complete idiocy.

It most likely would have been Oklahoma State since they beat Baylor.

This year would have been (again) Oklahoma State since they beat TCU.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Hey negative Nancies! This is great for ISU since it means the Big 12 in general will be stronger with more money entering the pool. What would you rather have? Divisions now where ISU maybe wins 1-2 more games a year but the Big 12 collapses in 5 years. Or CCG with 10 teams scenario where in 5-10 years, ACC teams may be upset they aren't getting the money they were promised then want to join the Big 12? Then we would have at least 12 teams and divisions with much stronger teams (FSU, Clemson, etc) vs Cincy, BYU.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I'm beginning to wonder if the ACC was going to attempt to get Notre Dame to participate in their championship game in some form.

The B1G just blocked that manauver by inserting its amendment.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Bowlsby gets a lot of heat, but there's not many AD's and Commissioners that know football as well as he does.

The ACC wants the 2 best teams regardless of division in championship game since the ACC is a 2 team league(Clemson, FSU), but the BIG wants the power 5 to treat CGs the same throughout although they don't want to force B12 to expand. I would prefer to add 2 teams and go with divisions since we might actually win 7 or 8 games once in awhile if the schedule allows it, but there aren't really any great candidates to add. BYU, Houston, Cincinnati? None of them sound great. The B12 really missed the boat on adding Louisville.

If we do expand I hope they don't split it up by geography since that could put TCU, Baylor, Texas, and Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech all in the same division and that would be bad for the conference. People made fun of the Leaders and Legends, but those divisions were very balanced and now the BIG divisions are unbalanced.

From the B1G's perspective, unbalance divisions is a huge plus. Marquee programs paired together in a tough division get national credibility by doing well with a tough slate, while a mediocre team winning a weak division can do the same by virtue of a great record, and the winner of the weaker division is not a real threat to the better division winner in the conference championship game. Everybody makes a **** ton of money, the conference gets more teams ranked, etc.

But I don't care. I love the round robin. Being in divisions, particularly in a conference bigger than 12, doesn't even feel like a conference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
^ 2015 mindset

^ 2014 mindset

I think the 2015 scenario and mindset will ring true more often. If the Big XII is already in the CFP, why risk getting them knocked out. I guess it could come back to bite the Big XII in the *** if the committee holds a grudge against the Big XII for deciding not to have a championship game.

Out top ranked teams have dropped from 3 to 6 and 3 to 4 for basically no reason the past two seasons, with the team that dropped from 3 to 6 finishing #2 in the AP poll.

I don't really think it has anything to do with our lack of title game, but the B12 is not in solid shape until they announce the new committee and we have better representation.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm beginning to wonder if the ACC was going to attempt to get Notre Dame to participate in their championship game in some form.

The B1G just blocked that manauver by inserting its amendment.

The Big is still ****** at Notre Dame.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron