Big 12 Conference Realignment

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You going to fly two semi loads of football equipment each week too?

It's not just moving teams to new game locations we are talking about here.
Semis make it across country all the time, for games. ND goes to USC, noncon games across the country happen all the time.

One thing about the semis, they can leave anytime during the week. Its not like the players, Semis can leave on Monday if they need to, to be there on Friday/Saturday.

This is nothing new. And it is not like USC is going to play Maryland every week, they will be lucky to play them every few years. Just like we wont play UCF every year. No matter what system they go with, divisions, pods, rivalries, your nearest are going to be your regular opponents, and the far away teams will be played every few years, depending on the rotation.

Right now USCLA are on an island. But that doesnt mean they wont add a couple more regionals. WVU has been on an Island in the Big12 for years. But now even though the Big 12 footprint has expanded, a team like WVUs travel will actually go down.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The GOR.

Little stuff like that.

PAC school can make $6 million less off the top vs joining the Big 12.

But at least the games won't be watched on streaming.

The PAC 12 - Less money. Worse exposure. No future.

Well, ESPN+ is still a streaming service.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Semis make it across country all the time, for games. ND goes to USC, noncon games across the country happen all the time.

One thing about the semis, they can leave anytime during the week. Its not like the players, Semis can leave on Monday if they need to, to be there on Friday/Saturday.

This is nothing new. And it is not like USC is going to play Maryland every week, they will be lucky to play them every few years. Just like we wont play UCF every year. No matter what system they go with, divisions, pods, rivalries, your nearest are going to be your regular opponents, and the far away teams will be played every few years, depending on the rotation.

Right now USCLA are on an island. But that doesnt mean they wont add a couple more regionals. WVU has been on an Island in the Big12 for years. But now even though the Big 12 footprint has expanded, a team like WVUs travel will actually go down.
Shoot, you can get the truck to the west coast in a day probably. Run a tag team and you can get that truck rolling non stop pretty much.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
OU bus was at the Manhattan Marriott this morning, 4.5-hours from Norman. K-State bused to Stillwater Saturday, 4-hours. It's 5-hours between Ames and Manhattan. Huge difference going to Morgantown and Orlando.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
OU bus was at the Manhattan Marriott this morning, 4.5-hours from Norman. K-State bused to Stillwater Saturday, 4-hours. It's 5-hours between Ames and Manhattan. Huge difference going to Morgantown and Orlando.
KU and KSU are definitely in a better location for B12 travel, Okst too.

On the contrary, KU being our closest B12 opponent, In the B1G West there is only 1 school further than KU is to us, and with that it is not much further. Since Nebby and Mizzu left we are basically out on an Island ourselves. Regionality, for us anyway, would be Much better in the B1G, in its current form.

I honestly was surprised that our WBB flew to KU, but it just goes to show, not many teams are taking busses except for the extremely close games. And for ISU It would be only be to KU or KSU, I doubt they are even considering bussing to any other Big 12 location. And it seams even our closest location is going by plane.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Driving=4hrs
Flying 1hr air time, 1hr load/offload plane min, 1/2 hr transfer to/from airports.
Probably total more like 3 hrs.
Expensive airplane ride to save an hour each way.

Reactions: surly and HouClone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Not sure what a charter flight costs versus a bus... But very thankful to have Jamie leading us (CPA). He would know to cut out fluff to non-revenue sports if we had to

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Not sure what a charter flight costs versus a bus... But very thankful to have Jamie leading us (CPA). He would know to cut out fluff to non-revenue sports if we had to
There are other reasons to fly. Recruiting is one ever though it doesn't save much time. Kids would eat it up.

If you have no idea what it costs, you shouldn't comment.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyfan92

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Well, ESPN+ is still a streaming service.

I definitely think there are preferred tiers even within those.

Like, a lot of people watch via "streaming" on linear streamers like youtube tv. Those are the highest visibility and most like traditional cable.

Below that is probably ESPN+. Due to the sheer amount of games, almost every bar that airs sports is going to have a subscription and a high % of casual sports fans will have access to this.

Its when you get down to the apple tvs of the world that your exposure drops off a cliff. People are much less likely to have the more minor streaming services, and bars especially so since the commercial licensing is expensive. If the PAC went to appletv, for example, bars within the pac 12 footprint might sign up, but good luck outside of that.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Isn't there a rule under the NCAA that states that if the school you are playing is within 250 to 300 miles that you must bus to the game and are not permitted to fly there? I thought I read where EIU had a game a couple of years ago that they got to fly too because it was a few miles over the minimum distance from the school.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Embraer 145 and CRJ-200 run about $7,000 per hour.

View attachment 110239
My sister's HS daughter and friends and parents are going to Mexico for Spring break.

The group decided to charter a flight instead of going commercial.

She was concerned about the cost of the charter, then when she looked into the alternative commercial flights, they would have cost substantially more per person.

When a group of people fly and split the cost, etc Charter can be as cheap or cheaper than Commercial. I would assume the same is true for teams buying groups of tickets.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Isn't there a rule under the NCAA that states that if the school you are playing is within 250 to 300 miles that you must bus to the game and are not permitted to fly there? I thought I read where EIU had a game a couple of years ago that they got to fly too because it was a few miles over the minimum distance from the school.
If that is the case it would have to be a limit of 250 miles or less, because ISU clearly flies to Lawrence, which is just over 250 miles, and is our closest Big 12 opponent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My sister's HS daughter and friends and parents are going to Mexico for Spring break.

The group decided to charter a flight instead of going commercial.

She was concerned about the cost of the charter, then when she looked into the alternative commercial flights, they would have cost substantially more per person.

When a group of people fly and split the cost, etc Charter can be as cheap or cheaper than Commercial. I would assume the same is true for teams buying groups of tickets.
Can you get a cost? We just went over Christmas (one of the most expensive times) and it was around 450/head after bags.