Big 12 Conference Realignment

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I was really surprised that B12 Conference forum doesn't have a thread on this (at the moment). Realignment is spread all over on CF, to three or more forums, and there is no shortage of discussion. I'll start one here, just for the Big 12. I'm sure there will be a lot to talk about for our conference in the next year or two.

Edit: At least this thread is more current. I checked and the last Big 12 Conference forum thread, "Big 12 Expansion (new thread)", had significant significant posting was Aug, 2022.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The more I think about it, the more I like expanding to the point of having large divisions. Limiting travel for the West and East schools would be a huge benefit and it would allow for teams to develop rivalries with their division members. So add 4 more and get to 16 with an East/West split.

West:
4 PAC schools
BYU
TCU
Baylor
Tech

East:
ISU
KU
KSU
OSU
WVU
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF

Or however the Texas school split would go. Play 7 division games and 2 cross-over games in football. Go wild and play 14 division games and 8 cross division games in basketball.
I like 16 “today” like outlined above and then grow to 18 or 20 “tomorrow” when ACC is available. Pitt, VaTech, NC State and one more?
If the B12 were to add 4 PAC schools (big if, very possible), as outlined (above), the East/West divisions makes sense.

Thinking further up the road, what would it look like adding ACC schools (big if also)?

If 4 ACC schools added: (GA Tech, Louisville, Pitt, VA Tech ?)
West:
4 PAC schools
BYU
TCU
Baylor
Tech
Houston
OSU
or (Houston ? ISU ?), [KU ? KSU ?]

East:
ISU
KU
KSU
WVU
Cincinnati
UCF
GA Tech
Louisville
Pitt
VA Tech

There are scenarios where ISU could be in the either division. Any way you split it, some teams would likely not be happy.

Perhaps rotating the "midwestern" teams from East to West on a 4-to-8-year schedule, would be something to consider? Add "rivalry" games.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Love it! ANOTHER alignment thread. None of the other ones ever discussed the impact on the Big 12. This was definitely overlooked. :jimlad:
I'm willing to delete my first two posts. I don't know how that would look though. If the mods want to delete this thread, feel free. I just thought it might be a good idea to get one started under the B12. Because there are a bunch of others, but all spread out.

Edit: I'll ask the mods to delete this thread.

Reactions: isugcs

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Two divisions, you need to qualify for top division bsed on the last years record. Maybe a higher payout for top division. That would be interesting and could be the game within the game
Interesting idea. This was what I was hoping for.

And to consolidate some of the past ideas here (if you want), then continue with any current ideas, under the Big 12 conference.

I know for me, I've missed a lot of the discussion. And I know I probably won't go to all the various other realignment threads to try to catch up. I understand the many, who have already participated other threads, are probably tired of another one.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Some rumblings down here that Ku is setting up to leave. Somehow, they got the governor to gift them $50 million and their endowment is ponying up another $150 toward renovation of Memorial Stadium.

Many here are beyond ticked that public funds are being diverted to Ku athletics, sorta football welfare.

Anyway, the idea is that Ku is a prime B10 target if they fix their decrepit stadium. Something to watch as Ku's A.D. has made no secret in the past about his desire to leave for the Big 10. He last worked at Northwestern.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
20 teams, 4 divisions of 5 teams. Every year divisions are paired up making a total of 10 team "sister divisions".

For football each team plays a round robin within their sister division. Championship weekend is cross division play. Each team plays their equally ranked counter part from the other sister divisions.

For basketball full double round robin within sister divisions. Tournament week sister divisions make up 10 team brackets with the winner of each side meeting for the championship. 20 teams 2 brackets.

Now for the teams and divisions. Since this is all completely hypothetical I'm considering any team not in the SEC or B1G fair play for expansion (because lets face it nobody is foolish enough to desert either of those money machines).

Rocky division
Oregon
Utah
BYU
Arizona
TTech

Great Plains division
ISU
KU
KSU
OSU
TCU

Appalachian division
WVU
Louisville
Pitt
Virginia
Cincinnati

Gulf division
Baylor
Huston
UCF
Miami
Clemson

With this split you can preserve regional rivalries, cut on travel, and play every team at home and away in a 4 year span. In football teams only have to travel out of their region 2-3 times a year which could mean once a month. In basketball they only travel out of region 5 times a year that could be paired in one week trips (ISU could spend a long weekend in Florida playing Miami on Wednesday and UCF on Saturday.

Last edited:

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Some rumblings down here that Ku is setting up to leave. Somehow, they got the governor to gift them $50 million and their endowment is ponying up another $150 toward renovation of Memorial Stadium.

Many here are beyond ticked that public funds are being diverted to Ku athletics, sorta football welfare.

Anyway, the idea is that Ku is a prime B10 target if they fix their decrepit stadium. Something to watch as Ku's A.D. has made no secret in the past about his desire to leave for the Big 10. He last worked at Northwestern.
Any school not currently in either the B1G or SEC, wants to be.

Reactions: surly

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co

hard to believe the big 10 would look at kansas if they aren’t looking at washington and oregon.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
20 teams, 4 divisions of 5 teams. Every year divisions are paired up making a total of 10 team "sister divisions".

For football each team plays a round robin within their sister division. Championship weekend is cross division play. Each team plays their equally ranked counter part from the other sister divisions.

For basketball full double round robin within sister divisions. Tournament week sister divisions make up 10 team brackets with the winner of each side meeting for the championship. 20 teams 2 brackets.

Now for the teams and divisions. Since this is all completely hypothetical I'm considering any team not in the SEC or B1G fair play for expansion (because lets face it nobody is foolish enough to desert either of those money machines).

Rocky division
Oregon
Utah
BYU
Arizona
TTech

Great Plains division
ISU
KU
KSU
OSU
TCU