Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is the ACC's grant of rights still a thing? This is complete madness!!..lol. Just follow the money and that's how this will eventually settle out. We'll get a lot of games on par with the money our program generates.
It is for now. I just can't see them sustaining too long in a decade or so.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yep. Time to pick PAC and ACC schools (that I assume the B1G and SEC don't want because I'm just being real about it).

Agreed. Where at a point where we can pick the P5 schools that get left behind by Big10 and SEC. I think from the PAC, you take the number of schools to equal the same as the Big10 and SEC. Then after that, just wait for the ACC to fall when the Big10 and SEC take their picks.

CF Shop

Dec 13, 2017
Yep. Time to pick PAC and ACC schools (that I assume the B1G and SEC don't want because I'm just being real about it).
I would imagine Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Boston College are leftover. Then some mix of Miami, NC State, and Virginia Tech depending on what the SEC and Big 10 do. I would love Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville and Miami.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Do teams typically get better after jumping to a new conference? I guess TCU and Utah have had some success and were promoted to the P5.

I'm hoping OU and Texas go the way of Missourah and Nebraska
Guess what we've seen it's a toss up. Depends on schools interest and fan support to me. Always will, which makes me think ISU will be fine down the road.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I would imagine Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Boston College are leftover. Then some mix of Miami, NC State, and Virginia Tech depending on what the SEC and Big 10 do. I would love Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville and Miami.
Miami is getting grabbed by the sec or big ten for sure when the GOR is up

• Agree
Reactions: PickSix and JP4CY

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Funny thing. Hope we all agree everything going on is $$$$ driven?? If so, year in and year out, which game on our schedule has the most eyeballs and generates the most cash? Conference alignments barring even since they are becoming to mean nothing. We're always going to have 1 team in particular on our schedule.. any guesses??

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I like expanding to the point of having large divisions. Limiting travel for the West and East schools would be a huge benefit and it would allow for teams to develop rivalries with their division members. So add 4 more and get to 16 with an East/West split.

West:
4 PAC schools
BYU
TCU
Baylor
Tech

East:
ISU
KU
KSU
OSU
WVU
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF

Or however the Texas school split would go. Play 7 division games and 2 cross-over games in football. Go wild and play 14 division games and 8 cross division games in basketball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The more I think about it, the more I like expanding to the point of having large divisions. Limiting travel for the West and East schools would be a huge benefit and it would allow for teams to develop rivalries with their division members. So add 4 more and get to 16 with an East/West split.

West:
4 PAC schools
BYU
TCU
Baylor
Tech

East:
ISU
KU
KSU
OSU
WVU
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF

Or however the Texas school split would go. Play 7 division games and 2 cross-over games in football. Go wild and play 14 division games and 8 cross division games in basketball.
Not a big fan of getting that big, but if we did, I like your break down.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
Gotcha. Seems like a win/win for both OUT and the Big 12 at this point. The quicker this is done is better for both sides IMO. Hate the way college sports has gone the last 15 years. We will all look back on the glory days in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s soon.
I found it.

Fox - $20 million
Eight schools - $10 million ea

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not a big fan of getting that big, but if we did, I like your break down.

Once you get that big, it's basically having two conferences with a combined TV contract. By adding more West coast schools, travel to the Eastern schools gets pretty rough. I get that once you're flying it's not much of a difference for going an additional state or two over, but that's a cross country flight with potentially a 3 hour time zone difference. It's be in everyone's best interests to limit how often those schools play.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
San Diego State is a better option than a lot of pac12 schools. Most don't even want to join. Why take them? I think it's going to be interesting to see how these g5 schools do that are entering the conference. I would not underestimate how good a UCF or Houston could get with the right scheduling and TV deals. We'd be on the outside looking in hadn't we jumped on those schools when we did. Kinda arrogant talk too..Cincy just made the playoffs. When was the last time we pulled that off?

You let them join with a huge payout attached. Just like the OU and Texas payout. Worst case they bail and all the schools make a ton of money. Worst case they stay and play sports. I think the new commisioner is a business man and will make good decisions based on money. San Diego State is not even close to being a big time program yet and where they are in San Diego they don't have much to grow.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
San Diego State is a better option than a lot of pac12 schools. Most don't even want to join. Why take them? I think it's going to be interesting to see how these g5 schools do that are entering the conference. I would not underestimate how good a UCF or Houston could get with the right scheduling and TV deals. We'd be on the outside looking in hadn't we jumped on those schools when we did. Kinda arrogant talk too..Cincy just made the playoffs. When was the last time we pulled that off?
San Diego state is a horrible option and should never be considered by the Big12. Yeah they might* be better than WSU of OSU but no one is talking about having either of those schools added to the big 12. This love affair some people have with SDSU is so odd and has no basis in reality.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Question:

What's the $100M for? Is this the simple conference exit fees or is it compensation for the GoR?

The basic exit fee was meant to be 2 years revenue distributions, or about $80M EACH. And this has nothing to do with how many years they stay in the conference, or how early they leave or not.

Then the GoR was supposed to be on top of that, and the more difficult nit to unpick.

If Big12 is only getting $100M (or $80M after Fox gets a cut), then they are leaving about $80M on the table. Again, they should be owed that money even if OuT stays thru 2025. This isn't like Scott Frosts contract, where they could have waited and reduced their obligation. Why give them a break on that, and why so large? The OP article says it "usually" gets negotiated down to 60%, but why agree to that just because "usually"? Did ESPN/Fox fatten up the TV deal (or agree to shiv the PAC so Big12 could survive) in exchange for this?

Also, is the Big12 getting anything additional for the loss of 1 year of GoR? I've not seen anything about that.

Maybe I am missing something, certainly I have not dug into the details as much as I could.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Rumors out there that Arizona State is pissed about the what's happening with the Pac, especially SMU, and might be more open to moving than they have been in the past.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron