Big 12 Conference Realignment

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
One thing that isn't really clear how media value works is how number of games x viewers compares. In other words, I doubt 8 CBB games at 500k viewers each is the same value as one CFB game at 4 million viewers. I don't know if there's been some good explanations of this, but I suspect the latter has way more unique vs. repeat viewers.

So I don't think it's quite that the viewership can be 1/3 or so of a CFB game to have the same relative value.

But I think your point remains, and is what I'm after. When people say that basketball doesn't matter, they are wrong. Of course it is not as valuable as CFB, and a basketball brand alone isn't going to provide enough value to justify addition by the Big 10 or SEC, that are getting a ton of $/team because of the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, OU and UT. But for a league like the Big 12 at the current payout, it's conceivable that a low-value football brand but high-value basketball brand like UConn or to a less extreme extent Arizona MAY make sense. I'm not saying it is the case, but I think it is possible. We'll know a lot more about the relative value of MBB vs. FB if the Big 12 splits them out.
I dont have any links, but have been making this same claim based on the available evidence. That the media value of games goes up exponentially (not linearly) with viewership.

The evidence is that the bigger games are paid for way higher. I dont have the stats on my phone, but from memory- CCGs w appx 5-10m viewers bring in $10-20m. Big bowl games similar, NY6/CFP averages 10-20m viewers per game and was bringing in $470m(?) for 6 games. Compare these to average games (take the avg value of all big12 fb games at ~$2m on the new contract).

The Super Bowl would be the ultimate top end example, hundreds of millions of viewers, and a Billion$ value for one game.

On yhe other end, a low end game drawing 250k viewers... you could rerun Gilligans Island or Professional Basket Weaving and get the same viewership, and it would cost peanuts for the rights.

I could prob come up w a formula, but with limited data points, and changing values over time, it would be pretty low r^2.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

The gaps between 1, 2, and 3 are amazing. Not real surprised about the rest. Overall last year and this year are down years for the league and some of the middleweights were coming off of disappointing seasons.

Reactions: BigCyFan

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The gaps between 1, 2, and 3 are amazing. Not real surprised about the rest. Overall last year and this year are down years for the league and some of the middleweights were coming off of disappointing seasons.
Bigger stadiums, more people. Of course it doesn't hurt if have a successful football history (OU) or spoiled arrogant fans (TX).

Reactions: BigCyFan and Jer

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Finebaum is an absolute clown. Dude only watches SEC so he has zero frame of reference frankly for any other conference. Jack Trice is up there with any of those SEC atmospheres outside maybe a few. Not 11 LOL

Reactions: TXCyclones

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Finebaum couldn't win a fight in a kindergarten classroom. He's the worst kind of obnoxious - fragile obnoxious.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Paul ever been in a Kindergarten class room? Just a bunch of animals tearing apart a room with no regard for authority and zero ***** given... I will take that as a ******* compliment.

OU has no clue what playing at missouri, a&M and Austin will be like!

• Haha
Reactions: Cyballzz

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Finebaum and the SEC =

332b1d2936a24d5aa9dc669f5f0dd30f.gif

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I said it in the other thread but no sh*t to his point.

Of course those towns are bigger than ames.

Iowa state will still get 61k up in ames for a game so I dont really get his point.