Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Don't underestimate the game day experience. The game is one thing, but all the festivities leading up to and just after the game are instrumental in fan attendance. As is evidenced by attendance when we were horrible. That's either evidence of ignorance in the constant belief your team 'can' win or the it's just plain the most fun thing around.
Right, given they were going to a partially filled stadium with little fan offerings, it was mostly about the fan experience outside the stadium.

Tailgating is what got fans through the lean years, not the stadium. That’s why the proposed investment in turning the area into a pseudo P&L district is big. I wish they’d made more changes to the NEZ but perhaps next time

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If it's no true division but 3-pod for scheduling, could do it this way. 3 games vs pod each season, 3 games (rotating) vs each of other 2 pods.
Advantage: More natural geographic/traditional — notably, keeps together Remaining Old-Big 8, ex-AAC and Ex-SWC (with exception of Houston).

(Division titles mainly for amusement.)

BIG PLAINS
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

BIG SOUTHEAST
Cincinnati
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

WEST-BY-SOUTHWEST
BYU
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech

I really like this set up. I want annual games with the remaining Big 8 schools.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nobody lives in Idaho. Boise couldn't justify having a 50k seat stadium.
Dude, no one cares about Boise anymore.

5m1vnyunci341.png

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
If it's no true division but 3-pod for scheduling, could do it this way. 3 games vs pod each season, 3 games (rotating) vs each of other 2 pods.
Advantage: More natural geographic/traditional — notably, keeps together Remaining Old-Big 8, ex-AAC and Ex-SWC (with exception of Houston).

(Division titles mainly for amusement.)

BIG PLAINS
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

BIG SOUTHEAST
Cincinnati
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

WEST-BY-SOUTHWEST
BYU
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech

Best setup... divisions could use better names, but I like it!

Reactions: cyclones500

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You are right on Houston (42,822), however UNLV will use the new pro stadium instead of their old one, hopefully this will increase their visibility and attendance.
Omg, give up on UNLV, Iowa State will bring more fans than they have for their own home game. They are using a pro stadium but only sell the lower bowl for UNLV.

UNLV is not worthy of being elevated to a P5. Not even close. For so many reasons, they are a bottom G5 program, not even close to the top.

Besides playing in a pro stadium vs your own is not necessarily a good thing, especially when you can only manage to get it 1/4 full all the time.

nwcat

Jul 20, 2016
How about NO DIVISIONS, quad scheduling (3 pods of 4) and top 2 teams overall go to the CCG. I really, really do not like divisions and think that the old Big Xii divisions helped lead us into all of this mess.

Full disclosure: BYU fan here (joined your board in 2016 when it looked like we might join then and I have stayed basically as a quiet visitor since). Like all BYU fans I am excited about the B12 prospects and look forward to new opportunities with a bunch of quality programs (both football and basketball)

I agree on no divisions and whether there are formal quad scheduling or not a CCG of the top 2 teams would make for a very fun regular season.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
You are right on Houston (42,822), however UNLV will use the new pro stadium instead of their old one, hopefully this will increase their visibility and attendance.
With the Rsiders in town UNLV will never support the college football team. Fun location but won't work.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Full disclosure: BYU fan here (joined your board in 2016 when it looked like we might join then and I have stayed basically as a quiet visitor since). Like all BYU fans I am excited about the B12 prospects and look forward to new opportunities with a bunch of quality programs (both football and basketball)

I agree on no divisions and whether there are formal quad scheduling or not a CCG of the top 2 teams would make for a very fun regular season.
What’s the average BYU fans take on all this?

And welcome. Don’t start threads every other day during football season like our resident KState fan/moron and you’ll be just fine.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Welcome nwcat. Always like hearing a perspective from a different side of things.
Lots of moving pieces in this realignment for the Big 12. BYU definitely moves the needle for membership, providing the Big 12 exists in 6 months. Keep us informed of the rumors from your neck of the mountains.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

nwcat

Jul 20, 2016
What’s the average BYU fans take on all this?

And welcome. Don’t start threads every other day during football season like our resident KState fan/moron and you’ll be just fine.

I grew up in Northern Missouri in the old Big 8 and have always hoped for a B12 invite over the P12. BYU makes more geographic sense in the P12 (we just brought over 40,000 fans to Las Vegas), but the P12 has no tolerance for a conservative religious school. BYU fans are literally thrilled with the prospects of B12 membership with or without OU and Texas (even though off the top of my head I think our combined record against those two is something like 5-1 with multiple thrashings of UT). The talk on BYU's most active message board (https://www.cougarboard.com) could not be more positive, excited or supportive. BYU fans recognize the strength of programs like ISU and OSU and we literally can't wait to get a solid November football schedule with meaningful games. The BYU pregame talk this past Saturday was even hoping that the BYU could join for next season.

With a strong alumni base throughout the footprint of the new B12 look for strong BYU fan showings in many stadiums (we brought 20+K to Tennessee in 2019 and since Kansas fans don't go to their games BYU fans will almost certainly outnumber KU fans in Laurence - poor Kansas). Lavell Edwards Stadium (LES) is a fantastic venue with majestic views of the mountains that I hope many of you will be able to visit in the coming years (we aren't great tailgaters but the game atmosphere is great).

Also the Marriott Center seats over 20K and for basketball games and with Kansas, ISU, Baylor, TT, WVA, Houston coming it will be rocking (our games against Gonzaga have been just an amazing environment). So we are as excited about basketball as we are for football.

Thanks for the welcome.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If Ames or Morgantown or Stillwater or Manhattan or Lubbock will bring more of a culture shock than Laramie then I take my hat off to all of you.

Just very alcohol fueled towns. As long as BYU fans are comfortable being around drunk people y’all will be fine

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron