Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

nwcat

Jul 20, 2016
Just very alcohol fueled towns. As long as BYU fans are comfortable being around drunk people y’all will be fine

We'll be just fine. In the 1980s and 90s BYU won the WAC football championship almost every year and it meant every team hated BYU. While that wasn't so much the case in the Mountain West (TCU and Utah got better) that old bitterness never went away meaning that there was a lot of vitriolic venom thrown at BYU and its fans in opposing stadiums and the alcohol only made that worse. In the Independence era BYU has had a lot more diverse schedule and without that historical animosity the experience has been generally really good (Coastal Carolina being a notable exception - too many drunk rednecks). We are excited to be with a group of schools where we have no enemies and can enjoy fun games with great fans in cool college towns. If some or many have a few drinks on game day, more power to them and I hope you aren't shocked when you come to Provo and find a stadium full of sober fans who can still enjoy a college football game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I drove through BYU, Utah and Utah State's campuses on my way to a long backpacking trip in Grand Teton NP...so I've gone a week with no internet but I got an up close view at those stadiums in the past few days.

BYU's stadium is big time, the campus is nice but not as nice as I expected to be honest. Spending a long weekend in Salt Lake/Provo area in Sept, Oct or November would be absolute heaven for anyone unless they really hate the outdoors (guessing most ISU football fans enjoy being outside). For me living in LA it's a 9 hour drive and a road game I could drive to in a fun area I might visit for outdoor adventure anyway.

Just five minutes after driving past BYU's stadium I was in the mountains seeing hundreds of what I assumed were college kids taking float trips down the river in the mountain valleys.

Utah State's campus and town were surprisingly nice, not that I think they are B12 expansion candidates, I just happened to have all three stadiums/campus towns right on my drive from LA to Grand Teton NP.

Stopping for lunch in SLC on a Sunday there is some truth to the city closing down on Sundays, but plenty of places were open and even bars. I could have gotten a drink if I wanted on Sunday at noon when I was there yesterday...even though it would have been a pretty empty bar.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How about NO DIVISIONS, quad scheduling (3 pods of 4) and top 2 teams overall go to the CCG. I really, really do not like divisions and think that the old Big Xii divisions helped lead us into all of this mess.

Nobody complained about divisions for the first decade when the B12 North was dominant and the South was an afterthought riding the coattails.

Suddenly when the south was stronger and the north was lean it was this huge deal that the South was carrying the standard for the conference.

I mean it's almost like the fans, alumni and administrators of a few of those schools were...hypocritical egomaniacs? Nah couldn't be.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Right. B12 membership can help grow these schools, which, consequently helps all members.

I think BYU is already there. I just drove around stadium/campus, purely circumstance that they aren't already P5 type of conference for decades.

Cincy as a second program in a massive population big football state...yeah it's got the ingredients.

I'm not sure I can make the argument for UCF as the 4th program in Florida, just don't know.

TCU/Baylor are only Big 12 schools over Houston by pure luck. We have three of them now. I'd already put Houston above Baylor because they aren't a known crime syndicate operating behind a front of religion.

Wish we could have swapped Houston for Baylor a while ago unless Baylor was ready to impose actual significant punishment on its program. (What I'd have demanded ISU do in the situation where the football team wasn't punished for running a mass rape syndicate and tarnishing my degree.)

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Personally, they are all yuck. I’d rather grow state schools like CSU and Ohio. But, I’m no business guy. I do know that as awful as city schools feel they are infinitely better than religious private schools for my taste. Directional schools, also meh. But, these are the cards we have.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Omg, give up on UNLV, Iowa State will bring more fans than they have for their own home game. They are using a pro stadium but only sell the lower bowl for UNLV.

UNLV is not worthy of being elevated to a P5. Not even close. For so many reasons, they are a bottom G5 program, not even close to the top.

Besides playing in a pro stadium vs your own is not necessarily a good thing, especially when you can only manage to get it 1/4 full all the time.

I'm not convinced LV is the sports market mecca people are selling it as. Yeah the supported a winner in the NHL and are supporting NFL...with tourist boost.

Tourists aren't going to UNLV games...unless they are fans of other teams like ISU in 13 days.

I just drove through I15 in 20% of the time it takes to drive through Des Moines in either direction. The population is not as massive as people think and there are no other cities nearby unless you count LA which is 4 hours away and nobody from LA is coming to LV to watch college sports.

Give me Provo/SLC or Cinci for a real local college sports fan base. UCF has way more potential to grow a college football fanbase than UNLV. Orlando metro has more people than LV and isn't as isolated in the middle of nowhere. The town also doesn't have its own NFL team like LV.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We'll be just fine. In the 1980s and 90s BYU won the WAC football championship almost every year and it meant every team hated BYU. While that wasn't so much the case in the Mountain West (TCU and Utah got better) that old bitterness never went away meaning that there was a lot of vitriolic venom thrown at BYU and its fans in opposing stadiums and the alcohol only made that worse. In the Independence era BYU has had a lot more diverse schedule and without that historical animosity the experience has been generally really good (Coastal Carolina being a notable exception - too many drunk rednecks). We are excited to be with a group of schools where we have no enemies and can enjoy fun games with great fans in cool college towns. If some or many have a few drinks on game day, more power to them and I hope you aren't shocked when you come to Provo and find a stadium full of sober fans who can still enjoy a college football game.

Ive watched enough BYU games to be impressed by your fanbase’s support. Which is why I’m glad we’re adding you. All I know is your fanbase managed to piss Melvin “Choir Boy” Ejim off so bad that he flipped you off as he fouled out in Provo, so you can clearly bring the heat regardless of BAC.

BYU has a large, passionate fanbase that belongs in major college football. Your religious quirks make you a unique foil and will give the new Big 12 some unique flavor.

Welcome to the show, and go piss up a rope. ;)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My lone memory of BYU fans.
View attachment 89212

For BYU fans lurking, this basketball player won pretty much every student athlete award imaginable for work in the classroom, community and on the court. If he had even 2-3 technical fouls in four years as a starter and B12 MVP I'd be shocked.

Translation...some BYU fans likely went ridiculously over the line of common decency into some ugly territory.

I'm excited for BYU and what they bring, but BYU fans will need to go a ways to disprove some negative stereotypes that were reinforced in ISU's fanbase by this particular incident.

FWIW I asked Ejim about this incident in a fan forum of questions here a few years ago but he just gave "no comment"...because that's how squeaky clean he is, he didn't even want to discuss water under the bridge.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Personally, they are all yuck. I’d rather grow state schools like CSU and Ohio. But, I’m no business guy. I do know that as awful as city schools feel they are infinitely better than religious private schools for my taste. Directional schools, also meh. But, these are the cards we have.
Why's that? Just because?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Nobody complained about divisions for the first decade when the B12 North was dominant and the South was an afterthought riding the coattails.

Suddenly when the south was stronger and the north was lean it was this huge deal that the South was carrying the standard for the conference.

I mean it's almost like the fans, alumni and administrators of a few of those schools were...hypocritical egomaniacs? Nah couldn't be.
Has nothing to do with that for me. Regardless of conference and regardless of teams, I simply like the idea that it ensures the top 2 teams from Regular Season play in the CCG. When the Big Xii started doing this, I thought it was silly, but I have seen the light. The ACC did it last year too with a good effect. I would like to see all conferences go this route to avoid (11-1) vs. (9-3) matchups, etc. It also keeps more teams in the race with more meaningful games down the stretch.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm not convinced LV is the sports market mecca people are selling it as. Yeah the supported a winner in the NHL and are supporting NFL...with tourist boost.

Tourists aren't going to UNLV games...unless they are fans of other teams like ISU in 13 days.

I just drove through I15 in 20% of the time it takes to drive through Des Moines in either direction. The population is not as massive as people think and there are no other cities nearby unless you count LA which is 4 hours away and nobody from LA is coming to LV to watch college sports.

Give me Provo/SLC or Cinci for a real local college sports fan base. UCF has way more potential to grow a college football fanbase than UNLV. Orlando metro has more people than LV and isn't as isolated in the middle of nowhere. The town also doesn't have its own NFL team like LV.
It's about the same size as the KC metro. I can't imagine their sports fans are any better than the ones in PHX which are terrible.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Surprised to see the Las Vegas MSA population is only 2.3 million.

Smaller than the Twin Cities. Des Moines is pushing 700,000 which is some decent growth

nwcat

Jul 20, 2016
For BYU fans lurking, this basketball player won pretty much every student athlete award imaginable for work in the classroom, community and on the court. If he had even 2-3 technical fouls in four years as a starter and B12 MVP I'd be shocked.

Translation...some BYU fans likely went ridiculously over the line of common decency into some ugly territory.

I'm excited for BYU and what they bring, but BYU fans will need to go a ways to disprove some negative stereotypes that were reinforced in ISU's fanbase by this particular incident.

FWIW I asked Ejim about this incident in a fan forum of questions here a few years ago but he just gave "no comment"...because that's how squeaky clean he is, he didn't even want to discuss water under the bridge.

I will admit that I don't remember much about that game except that ISU was really good and I trust that whatever caused your player (who seems very much a class act) to be so ticked off was an isolated deal.

I have been to a lot of games (both football and basketball) over many years and have never heard anything said to opposing players or fans that I would be ashamed of (not to say that it couldn't happen or that I can vouch for all BYU fans).

There is no question that civility and respect should be top of every fanbase's resume.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
1. Forget Boise State over UCF. UCF won the play in game.

2. One of son’s friends claimed to have heard the abuse Ejim took from BYU. Prefer Boise St to them although I know they add less value.