Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Seems unlikely to me, but he essentially says Alliance schools are off the list.
Yeah I'm just trusting my sources more then his. It makes zero sense to take schools outside of the alliance (although i would be totally ok if ISU joined) for a bunch of reasons that the AD's have already spelled out.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
SIAP but did not see this anywhere on CF. TLDR but check out page 9. Round 2 contenders = service academies, Tulane, Rice, USF, Temple, SMU. Keep in mind this analysis is based on a number of factors beyond just football.

As I posted before I love the idea of adding the service academies.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
SIAP but did not see this anywhere on CF. TLDR but check out page 9. Round 2 contenders = service academies, Tulane, Rice, USF, Temple, SMU. Keep in mind this analysis is based on a number of factors beyond just football.

This was posted a couple of pages ago on this thread if you're interested in looking back.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah I'm just trusting my sources more then his. It makes zero sense to take schools outside of the alliance (although i would be totally ok if ISU joined) for a bunch of reasons that the AD's have already spelled out.

Could the Kansas football program be in such bad shape they would lose a spot, even if the had to choose two programs not in the ACC & PAC?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Could the Kansas football program be in such bad shape they would lose a spot, even if the had to choose two programs not in the ACC & PAC?
In a world where the big ten somehow can't take schools in the other 3 major conferences then ISU and KU are very easily the top 2 with no one else particularly close.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
In a world where the big ten somehow can't take schools in the other 3 major conferences then ISU and KU are very easily the top 2 with no one else particularly close.

I doubt its true but if that is true doesn't that mean the ACC & PAC woud look at the same thing? That would mean 8 teams and ESPN could get the B12 dissolved allowing OU & UT to move to the SEC right away and without exit fees and GOR penalties.

I would have thought it might have been possible before for ESPN to place everyone partly subsidized by ACCN & PACN getting carriage in Texas. Now add highly rated conference semi-final games and its another way to help subsidize the movement of B12 teams to the other leagues.

Last edited:

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

Service academies belong in a merger of the AAC & MWC best teams after B12 expansion.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Lot of good info in there. My 2 cents: USF, Temple(!), Navy and AF would be best fits, and the geography works too.

Then they can add Tulane and Rice when ISU and KU join the B1G ;)

Reactions: robahrens

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've never been to Memphis.
Hahaha fair I’ve only been once for a weekend. They are going to do very well with NIL and their basketball team is going to be excellent for years to come.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I doubt its true but if that is true doesn't that mean the ACC & PAC woud look at the same thing? That would mean 8 teams and ESPN could get the B12 dissolved allowing OU & UT to move to the SEC right away and without exit fees and GOR penalties.

I would have thought it might have been possible before for ESPN to place everyone partly subsidized by ACCN & PACN getting carriage in Texas. Now add highly rated conference semi-final games and its another way to help subsidize the movement of B12 teams to the other leagues.
Again we’re talking about something that I don’t think has any basis in reality so sure in that world anything could happen

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

How does it make sense to take schools that are in the alliance? If the B1G poaches 2 top schools from the ACC or Pac, that will leave the remaining schools in a similar position to the B12 today. An alliance should protect and benefit its members, and I can't see how that can be the case with the B1G expanding from within the alliance.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Again we’re talking about something that I don’t think has any basis in reality so sure in that world anything could happen

Its probably a stretch but lets look at it from ESPN's incentive to make this happen, especially if they can get the B1G to take two of the teams. I never thought the B1G would help dissolving the B12 but if there is a financial incentive to them they could go along.

1. ESPN wants OU & UT in the SEC ASAP.
2. ESPN probably wants to avoid the exit fees for OU & UT 160M.
3. ESPN wants to avoid GOR fees assessed to OU & UT. An additional 80-160M?
4. ESPN wants to avoid interference claims which Bowlsby states he has in emails. Who knows what that amount is.
5. Rumored B12 contracts are said to reach upper 20M's to 30M which nobody thought would happen. That kind of lends credence to #4. But also the new B12 can create a lot of 1.5M-2M tv audience games that fit in perfectly with the PAC & ACC contracts. It really doesn't hurt ESPN/FOX to absorb the B12 schools into the existing contracts.
6. ESPN/FOX can use carriage in Texas for the ACC & PAC Networks (assuming Pac gives up control) to help pay for new spots in each of those leagues.
7. ESPN/FOX pick up valuable conference semi-final games within the current FBS football structure.
8. ESPN doesn't have to overpay AAC schools & BYU that they currently have in an extremely low tv deals and they are losing a lot of money by those schools moving up.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
How does it make sense to take schools that are in the alliance? If the B1G poaches 2 top schools from the ACC or Pac, that will leave the remaining schools in a similar position to the B12 today. An alliance should protect and benefit its members, and I can't see how that can be the case with the B1G expanding from within the alliance.
The alliance is about securing the proper contract for the expanded CFP. Nothing else. It isn’t in the big tens best interest to take teams that have been determined to bring less value to the conference just because of a handshake alliance and the AD’s would never approve of that.

Again to be clear I have heard nothing about the big ten looking to expand in the near future they are very happy where they are now.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This was posted a couple of pages ago on this thread if you're interested in looking back.

Was there discussion after the earlier post? I don't know how far back in thread to go to find it ... I didn't encounter until URB's post.

It's fascinating analysis I wish I had more time to indulge. I'm geeky that way.

A random observation so far -- in some contexts, Rice could be the Vanderbilt of the Big 12.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What makes you think associating with Houston and Kansas State and West Virginia on the academic side will RAISE Iowa State’s academic profile? We should be associating with similar AAU universities as much as possible.
Maybe he thinks standing by the dumb kids makes a person look smarter?

Reactions: CascadeClone