Big 12 Jobs Ranked by Podcast

Where does the ISU job rank in the Big 12? If you’re not sure, round up. We’re all homers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 5.4%

Votes: 25 16.9%

Votes: 43 29.1%

Votes: 28 18.9%

Votes: 24 16.2%

Votes: 9 6.1%

Votes: 4 2.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m just here so I don’t get fined.

Votes: 7 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Ten12 Podcast MBB Job Ranking

I’m a semi-regular listener of a Big 12-focused podcast called the Ten12, and today’s edition ranked the conference’s men’s basketball jobs. The main host is an Oklahoma State fan and the other host had ISU ranked in the same place but I don’t remember his affiliation. Here’s how he ranked the jobs:

1. Kansas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6. WVU
7. ISU
8. Tech
9. KSU
10. TCU

I pretty much agreed with the whole podcast, except for OSU’s national championships in ‘40s proving they could win a title today.

Now, this podcast praised the ISU fanbase’s passion and intelligence in having reasonable expectations. But personally, I know a fair number of ISU fans that have what I’d consider unreasonable long-term expectations. As a proxy for program expectations, where do you rank the ISU job in the conference?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I’d rank them:
1. KU
2. Texas
3. OU
4. Baylor
5. OSU
6. WVU
7. ISU
8. Tech
9. KSU
10. TCU

KU, Texas and OU are there based on resources and brand.

Baylor, OSU, WVU, and ISU are all close. Baylor and OSU get the edge on recruiting area, WVU as well. Outside of our recruiting territory, our financial resources also puts ISU at the bottom of this grouping. Did we even pay Hoiberg a top half of the league salary? And with the continued investment in football (which I wholeheartedly support), will we invest as much in basketball? Time will tell.

Tech and KSU are next. Tech shelled out a lot of money to Beard, that’s why they top this group.

TCU has to put some butts in seats to get out of the AAC tier.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I’d rank them:
1. KU
2. Texas
3. OU
4. Baylor
5. OSU
6. WVU
7. ISU
8. Tech
9. KSU
10. TCU

KU, Texas and OU are there based on resources and brand.

Baylor, OSU, WVU, and ISU are all close.

I put ISU on top of the second tier because of us, the best fans in the country, and because of JP, the best AD on the planet!!!!

Give us 5 yrs. and we'll be in the top 3.

I know finances are tight now and will be for probably at least a decade, but I would love to see us reinstate baseball as a varsity sport sooner rather than later. F***ing BVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Ten12 Podcast MBB Job Ranking

I’m a semi-regular listener of a Big 12-focused podcast called the Ten12, and today’s edition ranked the conference’s men’s basketball jobs. The main host is an Oklahoma State fan and the other host had ISU ranked in the same place but I don’t remember his affiliation. Here’s how he ranked the jobs:

1. Kansas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. OSU
5. Baylor
6. WVU
7. ISU
8. Tech
9. KSU
10. TCU

I pretty much agreed with the whole podcast, except for OSU’s national championships in ‘40s proving they could win a title today.

Now, this podcast praised the ISU fanbase’s passion and intelligence in having reasonable expectations. But personally, I know a fair number of ISU fans that have what I’d consider unreasonable long-term expectations. As a proxy for program expectations, where do you rank the ISU job in the conference?
I'll take a shot with this:

1). Kansas - tradition, national championships - enough said here
2). Baylor - new national 'ship, generational future hall of fame coach
3). Texas - yes i think this job is better than OU and others despite their recent lack of program success. Being a 3 hour drive from Houston and the DFW metroplex is a crazy advantage. Austin is a cool city (used to live there)
4). ISU - great tradition, excellent arena in Hilton Magic, a school that seriously supports basketball when the product is at least competitive (some of the prohm years where we stunk and still sold tickets tells a coach everything they need to know about our fans). I have us ahead of OU b/c they are such a football obsessed school. We're kind of a football school now too and that feels weird typing this right now.

5). OU
6). OSU - they have tradition but their fans are very, very fairweather in my opinion
- everyone else

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I put ISU on top of the second tier because of us, the best fans in the country, and because of JP, the best AD on the planet!!!!

Give us 5 yrs. and we'll be in the top 3.

I know finances are tight now and will be for probably at least a decade, but I would love to see us reinstate baseball as a varsity sport sooner rather than later. F***ing BVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ISU is all about the people. That’s why I love it so.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Iowa State can be anywhere from 2-10. Right now Iowa State is 10. The team Fred built was 2. Or even 1B.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'll take a shot with this:

1). Kansas - tradition, national championships - enough said here
2). Baylor - new national 'ship, generational future hall of fame coach
3). Texas - yes i think this job is better than OU and others despite their recent lack of program success. Being a 3 hour drive from Houston and the DFW metroplex is a crazy advantage. Austin is a cool city (used to live there)
4). ISU - great tradition, excellent arena in Hilton Magic, a school that seriously supports basketball when the product is at least competitive (some of the prohm years where we stunk and still sold tickets tells a coach everything they need to know about our fans). I have us ahead of OU b/c they are such a football obsessed school. We're kind of a football school now too and that feels weird typing this right now.

5). OU
6). OSU - they have tradition but their fans are very, very fairweather in my opinion
- everyone else
I can roll with this perspective. I’d say we have the second best fans in the conference, behind KU, with WVU being right there. Big drop after that. Fan base is only a part of the equation to me, and maybe the least important part to your typical prospective coach, hence why ISU needs a special breed of coach. Someone like Prohm (ignoring the results), Campbell or Orr; or a homegrown coach like Fred or TJ. Eustachy being an outlier.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
The key is Best JOB not best program.

I used three criteria: Tradition/Prestige, Ability to recruit, Money. I ignored any consideration about job security and quality of life if a person loved their environment and did a half decent job (would be big plus for ISU).

1) Kansas
GAP
2) Texas; $$$$$$, fertile recruiting, NBA pipeline
GAP
3) Oklahoma; $$$$, historical relevance
4) Baylor; recent success, access to talent
GAP
5) West Virginia; decent historical program, access to E coast talent,
6) Iowa State; even with recent football success thought of as a B-ball school
7) Oklahoma State; prestige of program is a little dated, will always be in the shadows of OU
8) Texas Tech; seems to find ways to be relevant
GAP
9) K-State; if money was the same would you choose to be in KUs shadow over any other Big 12 program except
10) TCU; Houston is a better job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chitowncy

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

I used three criteria: Tradition/Prestige, Ability to recruit, Money. I ignored any consideration about job security and quality of line if a person loved their environment and did a half decent job (would be big plus for ISU).

1) Kansas
GAP
GAP
GAP
7) Oklahoma State; prestige of program is a little dated, will always be in the shadows of OU
GAP
9) K-State; if money was the same would you choose to be in KUs shadow over any other Big 12 program except
Agree with this. Going to the last one, Houston is a great school. If we ever expand the conference, Houston needs to be one of the schools we add.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I went with 5. I think our program has all the necessary things to be consistently relevant.
I do think we are consistently relevant but bumped us to 6 because I thought West Virginia would have a little more access to recruits. While the intra-league travel stinks for West Virginia, recruiting travel is far easier (making it a more appealing job).

Reactions: Cyclonepride

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Agree with this. Going to the last one, Houston is a great school. If we ever expand the conference, Houston needs to be one of the schools we add.
The bad blood between Texas and Houston is legendary. Sincerely doubt Texas will ever allow them into the Big12.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
If you want to talk about best JOBS in the conference we are #2 behind Kansas.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

I used three criteria: Tradition/Prestige, Ability to recruit, Money. I ignored any consideration about job security and quality of life if a person loved their environment and did a half decent job (would be big plus for ISU).

1) Kansas
GAP
GAP
GAP
GAP

This is almost exactly my thinking. There's a noticeable gap and we seem to have "tiers" of programs. I'm good with your first 4 and the gap between them. My only change is that I feel like 5, 6 and 7 can be in any order among those three (WVU, ISU, OSU), but then I'd put Tech and Kansas State (any order) at 8 and 9, then a gap, then TCU all by itself at the bottom. In other words, K-State and Tech would still be in our tier, but lower than us.

It's incredible to think from 2003 at the time of Scott Drew's arrival to now Baylor has gone from the bottom TCU tier and obvious worst program to the 4th spot.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
My rankings:

1. KU (duh)
2. Texas (recruiting)
3. OU (close to Texas and Oklahoma has had good local players lately)
4. Baylor (Drew)
5. ISU (fans)
6. WVU (huggs -> but after huggs leaves... uh oh?)
7. OSU (their history is long forgotten now in the kids they are recruiting)
8. Tech (ouch)
9. KSU (annoying fans, have to deal with being in same state as KU)
10. TCU (no explanation needed)

Help Support Us

Become a patron