Big 12 Refs, Man... Technicals Out of Hand

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
SIAP, but I hadn't seen this previously. Two technical fouls, one at each end, between KSU and BU following dunks. If this sh*t is what our conference is devolving into I want out. (and then to think we've only had a total of FOUR free throws combined against OU... something is broken in officiating)

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
They're garbage. Absolute garbage. And it doesn't just extend to basketball. This may have been the worst officiated season of Big 12 football I've ever seen. It's time for this conference to put more money into its officiating budget.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
SIAP, but I hadn't seen this previously. Two technical fouls, one at each end, between KSU and BU following dunks. If this sh*t is what our conference is devolving into I want out. (and then to think we've only had a total of FOUR free throws combined against OU... something is broken in officiating)

I agree with you, but those were two of the weakest ******* dunks, why was either player doing anything afterwards? They deserve techs for trying to showboat after mediocre dunks.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I agree with you, but those were two of the weakest ******* dunks, why was either player doing anything afterwards? They deserve techs for trying to showboat after mediocre dunks.

I agree with this, and it's not a fun hater, "get off my lawn" thing. I don't understand why guys have to run their mouth so much. Hey, you blocked a shot. That's awesome but maybe work on not getting owned by your guy the previous 4 trips down the floor? Cool, you dunked one, but could we not miss the 5 shots before that? A little jaw jacking is natural but if it's all you do it kind of wears thin.

And yes, officiating is terrible and I don't know what the fix is going to be. Those calls were absolute garbage. They're already short on numbers so I don't know if adding a 4th guy on the floor is doable, and if it even makes it better. Part of it is common sense rules as well. The missed goaltending at KU, for example, is fixable. Just make it reviewable either way, not just if it's called. These guys are overinterpreting rules that have been put in over the years. Somewhere along the line you have to let the players play. Noting in my first paragraph applies to this clip. I'll guarantee nobody from KState or Baylor had their feelings hurt by anything that was said/done after those dunks.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

LOL. That clown is trying to "hot take" something he can't even see or hear.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

We had ONE ft vs OU in two games when the game was over in the final few minutes. Glad I’m not the only one who can see how absurd that is.

We had no shooting fouls vs them. I would consider us the more aggressive team for about 30 minutes of both games.

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
Looks like it was the same official who called both T's. Anyone know who it is? May need it for future reference, or if there is a pattern with the guy.

Also looks like the other two officials are confused about the whistle both times.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Referees have lost the thread.

I think they are overtrained--or perhaps over-evaluated--especially when it comes to the issues the NCAA wants them to "emphasize" from year to year.

You need to know the rules, know how to get in position to make proper calls, and facilitate the play of the game, ESPECIALLY when it comes to big moments. That's it.

There's so much data now, they get graded play by play and they probably feel like they are constantly under a microscope. This can lead to worse outcomes.

Reactions: psychlone99

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
We had ONE ft vs OU in two games when the game was over in the final few minutes. Glad I’m not the only one who can see how absurd that is.

We had no shooting fouls vs them. I would consider us the more aggressive team for about 30 minutes of both games.

I'd have to go watch the first game to check that one(pass) but in this last outing:

1. They were letting the guys play, I'm pretty sure ISU had less fouls overall.
2. OU wasn't playing anything resembling a tight, harassing defense that tends to draw fouls.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Those were both unnecessary Ts in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones