Big 12 Refs, Man... Technicals Out of Hand

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
What do you have to say for this atrocious noncall yesterday?

Sorry, previous account was banned.

I fully agree that McCullar committed a foul. Based on this video, it looks like the ref was poorly positioned to even see it. He positioned himself to be on the most likely side of the play, which is for the inbounds pass to go outside of the paint. When the ball went inside, both #0 for Okie State and #23 for KU seemed to be blocking his line of sight when the foul was committed. Yet another example of how the sport is now too complex to be reffed by just three officials. If they did what I propose, which is to have four refs, two positioned equidistant on the baseline at the end where play is happening and two running the sidelines above where play is happening, then I think the call would have been made.

Players are too fast, too strong and too large for the three ref model to work anymore. Refs just cannot get in position quick enough when they have so much room to cover and bodies to see around. I don't know who makes those kinds of decisions but based on the fact that there is already a shortage of competent ncaa level referees, I doubt it happens any time soon which is too bad.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

I fully agree that McCullar committed a foul. Based on this video, it looks like the ref was poorly positioned to even see it. He positioned himself to be on the most likely side of the play, which is for the inbounds pass to go outside of the paint. When the ball went inside, both #0 for Okie State and #23 for KU seemed to be blocking his line of sight when the foul was committed. Yet another example of how the sport is now too complex to be reffed by just three officials. If they did what I propose, which is to have four refs, two positioned equidistant on the baseline at the end where play is happening and two running the sidelines above where play is happening, then I think the call would have been made.

Players are too fast, too strong and too large for the three ref model to work anymore. Refs just cannot get in position quick enough when they have so much room to cover and bodies to see around. I don't know who makes those kinds of decisions but based on the fact that there is already a shortage of competent ncaa level referees, I doubt it happens any time soon which is too bad.
A lot of words, but had an Iowa State player, or TCU player, or Texas Tech player, or West Virginia player, etc., done that to a Kansas player, a ref from the other end court would have called it.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
A lot of words, but had an Iowa State player, or TCU player, or Texas Tech player, or West Virginia player, etc., done that to a Kansas player, a ref from the other end court would have called it.
And an overriding phone call would have been placed from Irving if they didn't call it quickly enough.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

The ref might have missed the start of the foul, but he was staring right at the shooter being mugged as the ball was released. It wasn't a position issue. It was a complete failure of basic officiating. He was guilty of ball watching which even beginning officials are taught to avoid. See the entire play in front of you and first make a decision on contact/no contact and then focus on the flight of the ball. If you miss the call on the last touch, it is not as important as missing the foul as the touch call can be corrected by a crew or video review.

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
The ref might have missed the start of the foul, but he was staring right at the shooter being mugged as the ball was released. It wasn't a position issue. It was a complete failure of basic officiating. He was guilty of ball watching which even beginning officials are taught to avoid. See the entire play in front of you and first make a decision on contact/no contact and then focus on the flight of the ball. If you miss the call on the last touch, it is not as important as missing the foul as the touch call can be corrected by a crew or video review.
By the time he got around from behind those two players, the ball had already been blocked out of play. Hard to justify calling a foul that you didn't see.

If the goal is to "see the whole play in front of you" then it is clear he was not in position to do so. If you have 2 refs on the end line then it gets called properly as it should have been. Bummer it wasn't called.

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
He looking right at the guy hanging all over the shooter. That's a foul in any league if the ref was focusing on what he is trained to look at.
Ha, he probably didn't even see who took the shot and can o ly guess as the ball is already back to the station by the time he gets the players in fully unobstructed view. Such bad positioning combined with the play being in the unexpected location below the rim.

Refs handle most of the game without issue but stink at times and those times frequently get replayed in high definition at slow motion. Announcers add spin to it in whatever direction they choose.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Ha, he probably didn't even see who took the shot and can o ly guess as the ball is already back to the station by the time he gets the players in fully unobstructed view. Such bad positioning combined with the play being in the unexpected location below the rim.

Refs handle most of the game without issue but stink at times and those times frequently get replayed in high definition at slow motion. Announcers add spin to it in whatever direction they choose.
You are completely missing the fact that the worst portion of the foul was after the ball was released. The defender is all over the shooter's back and knocks him down with hard contact to the shoulder/neck area. The ref has moved to a position that gives him an opportunity to clearly see the illegal follow through contact, but he chooses to focus on the ball.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

And I'm sure they were all in bad position when the KU player hooked and drug the Tech center across the lane and took him down on Tech's next to last possession.

I understand it's a real problem getting into proper position when KU plays. Hard to see those obvious calls when your eyes' are wide shut.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: cychhosis and CYDJ

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
The simple fact is officiating high level sporting events needs to start to incorporate the technology we presently possess. We should be able to camera up the court and sit 10 people around 10 monitors to be able to capture pretty much everything that happens on the court.

I can see at least 50% of what is happening on the court with 1 camera angle. Just with proper training and practice a person could catch most of the traveling calls that are missed today by those officials not watching the ball.

Sure, you need a court manager. There will always be players that get out of hand. So, you can't get rid of them all together, but I would at least like to see an attempt to integrate people sitting at a monitor watching the game from afar. Some people might say, "well yeah, it's easy to see that when you are just sitting there staring at a screen and not having to try to keep up with the athletes, coordinate proper positions with your fellow referees and reposition to not get blocked by all the players on the court."

To that I say, "no ****". That's why I want to try it.

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
And I'm sure they were all in bad position when the KU player hooked and drug the Tech center across the lane and took him down on Tech's next to last possession.

I understand it's a real problem getting into proper position when KU plays. Hard to see those obvious calls when your eyes' are wide shut.
Since Dec 1:

KU Opponents: 81 fouls
KU fouls: 112

KU Opponents: 112 free throws
KU free throws: 69

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
The simple fact is officiating high level sporting events needs to start to incorporate the technology we presently possess. We should be able to camera up the court and sit 10 people around 10 monitors to be able to capture pretty much everything that happens on the court.

I can see at least 50% of what is happening on the court with 1 camera angle. Just with proper training and practice a person could catch most of the traveling calls that are missed today by those officials not watching the ball.

Sure, you need a court manager. There will always be players that get out of hand. So, you can't get rid of them all together, but I would at least like to see an attempt to integrate people sitting at a monitor watching the game from afar. Some people might say, "well yeah, it's easy to see that when you are just sitting there staring at a screen and not having to try to keep up with the athletes, coordinate proper positions with your fellow referees and reposition to not get blocked by all the players on the court."

To that I say, "no ****". That's why I want to try it.
The problem there is that technology costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time. Are you going to hold up play while they review a call/no call? Are you going to allow play to continue but then change calls after the fact? No thanks to both of those.

They need more refs on the floor so that they lessen the number of times where refs are out of position, and they need better trained refs so that they are more consistent in what they call. The problem is that the public already treats refs like garbage so the number of people coming up through the ranks has shrunk and there are barely enough refs to support the current model, let alone adding a ref to every game.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
By the time he got around from behind those two players, the ball had already been blocked out of play. Hard to justify calling a foul that you didn't see.

If the goal is to "see the whole play in front of you" then it is clear he was not in position to do so. If you have 2 refs on the end line then it gets called properly as it should have been. Bummer it wasn't called.
Things I don't believe for 800, Alex.

Reactions: VeloClone

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
Things I don't believe for 800, Alex.
I'd rather that refs score a 100% on their accuracy rate and that calls be made correctly. If the kid that used to play for Kansas gets that call, hits the free throws and it goes to overtime then that would have been really entertaining. I still like KU's chances in OT at home if it came to that. If they lose, meh. It happens. They aren't going undefeated in Big 12 play this season. You assume I am far more invested in the results of an individual game in late December than I actually am. An L there doesn't eliminate any of KU's goals for the season.

Tuco

Jan 1, 2023
Don't ruin people's conspiracy theories!
It feels like KU has had 1-2 players in 1st half foul trouble all season. They are a very aggressive defensive team this season so that comes with an increase in fouls. Just wish they'd stop committing so many dumb ones.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I'd rather that refs score a 100% on their accuracy rate and that calls be made correctly. If the kid that used to play for Kansas gets that call, hits the free throws and it goes to overtime then that would have been really entertaining. I still like KU's chances in OT at home if it came to that. If they lose, meh. It happens. They aren't going undefeated in Big 12 play this season. You assume I am far more invested in the results of an individual game in late December than I actually am. An L there doesn't eliminate any of KU's goals for the season.
a real shame.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll just leave this 1, 2, 3, 4 in reply to Taco ...

Haha! I'll see your hundred and raise you two!

Phantom Three at the Phog​

Maybe Tuco doesn't remember either of these?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron