Big 12 Refs, Man... Technicals Out of Hand

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Then how would you rule this?

twerk-twerking.gif
How would I rule this? Man that's hard. Really hard...to say.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is semantics.

The same refs are hired over and over, yes they aren’t exclusive to B12 but there is generally a group doing most b12 games.

I wish you were right and we’d have only seen Higgins 10 times over ten years instead of a crapload of our b12 games.

If someone freelances for a company half of their employed hours for a decade it’s very dishonest/misleading to say they don’t work for that employer. They do work for that employer.

Yep. Especially for the power conferences who generally have the ability to pick and choose who they want first.

If this weren't the case, the big 12 wouldnt have an employee designated as 'coordinator of officials'.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
This is semantics.

The same refs are hired over and over, yes they aren’t exclusive to B12 but there is generally a group doing most b12 games.

I wish you were right and we’d have only seen Higgins 10 times over ten years instead of a crapload of our b12 games.

If someone freelances for a company half of their employed hours for a decade it’s very dishonest/misleading to say they don’t work for that employer. They do work for that employer.
Lets roll with your argument/analogy, lets say that the freelancer also works for 2 or 3 other companies equally, during that time. Wouldn't it be dishonest/misleading to omit that information? If that person is poor at their job does that only reflect on one of those jobs (or employers)?

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Yep. Especially for the power conferences who generally have the ability to pick and choose who they want first.

If this weren't the case, the big 12 wouldnt have an employee designated as 'coordinator of officials'.

Does anyone have an idea of what refs get paid per game in D1 basketball? I reffed for about 10 years 15 years ago. Mostly small college and a D2 game every now and then. Even back then I seem to remember a lot of refs making $300-$400k per year. Of course, they were working every night and racking up the frequent flier miles.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Does anyone have an idea of what refs get paid per game in D1 basketball? I reffed for about 10 years 15 years ago. Mostly small college and a D2 game every now and then. Even back then I seem to remember a lot of refs making $300-$400k per year. Of course, they were working every night and racking up the frequent flier miles.
I heard it was $3,000 a game, but they have to pay for airfare, rental car, hotel, etc. out of pocket.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lets roll with your argument/analogy, lets say that the freelancer also works for 2 or 3 other companies equally, during that time. Wouldn't it be dishonest/misleading to omit that information? If that person is poor at their job does that only reflect on one of those jobs (or employers)?

If the freelancer works for x company over and over again he is an x freelancer.

They can stop hiring him and he wouldn’t be.

It’s beyond stupid to suggest the same refs don’t do our games over and over again.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I heard it was $3,000 a game, but they have to pay for airfare, rental car, hotel, etc. out of pocket.

From 2016, Higgins was “often” making more than $3k per game. Also note the travel schedule. There’s no way, especially for some of the older dudes, that it doesn’t impact performances.

And, as the article notes, Higgins ”home base” was the Big 12. So is he a “Big 12 ref?” No, but also yes.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
If the freelancer works for x company over and over again he is an x freelancer.

They can stop hiring him and he wouldn’t be.

It’s beyond stupid to suggest the same refs don’t do our games over and over again.
Sounds like we are not arguing the same point. I'm arguing, it's not only a Big12 problem, these are not Big12 exclusive refs. Like they are in football.

I was never trying to imply, the same refs, didn't work many Big12 games.

Lol..."beyond stupid" not only am I deceptive/dishonest but beyond stupid too, um k.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sounds like we are not arguing the same point. I'm arguing, it's not only a Big12 problem, these are not Big12 exclusive refs. Like they are in football.

Lol..."beyond stupid" not only am I deceptive/dishonest but beyond stupid too, um k.
To say that there aren't "big 12 refs" when the conference chooses a small group that generally officiate its games is indeed "beyond stupid". Especially when the power conferences generally are going to have top bidding for those officials. Just because those refs can also do other games does not change that. The "big 12 refs" are officials that the big 12 contracts under the supervision of the big 12 coordinator of basketball officials.

You might as well be saying "there's no such thing as an Uber driver because theyre all freelancers and many use multiple apps"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I wasn’t calling you stupid…the common refrain that “there are no big 12 refs” is stupid when we see the same ones over and over and over for decades. I can’t go to games in person anymore but it’s even more obvious in person than on tv. On radio Walters/Heft call them out by the same names every game like they might as well have a permanent locker at Hilton.

People spit it out like it’s some brilliant new idea when it’s just silly semantics.

Don’t take it personal, just year 20 something of reading that on these boards admittedly triggers me.

• Agree

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
To say that there aren't "big 12 refs" when the conference chooses a small group that generally officiate its games is indeed "beyond stupid". Especially when the power conferences generally are going to have top bidding for those officials. Just because those refs can also do other games does not change that. The "big 12 refs" are officials that the big 12 contracts under the supervision of the big 12 coordinator of basketball officials.

You might as well be saying "there's no such thing as an Uber driver because theyre all freelancers and many use multiple apps"
Which really means the coordinator of the poop show should be canned.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
'I have covered that topic". Too funny, oh arrogant one.
The opposite actually. I am just sure that no one wants me to blabber on about my opinions on Fran when they are already all over the "Is Fran the greatest announcer ever" thread. The Fran Fans here get aggressive.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I wasn’t calling you stupid…the common refrain that “there are no big 12 refs” is stupid when we see the same ones over and over and over for decades. I can’t go to games in person anymore but it’s even more obvious in person than on tv. On radio Walters/Heft call them out by the same names every game like they might as well have a permanent locker at Hilton.

People spit it out like it’s some brilliant new idea when it’s just silly semantics.

Don’t take it personal, just year 20 something of reading that on these boards admittedly triggers me.
The refs who live in the Midwest do more Midwest games as they make more money spending less time and money on travel. Higgins does mostly Big 12, Big Ten, SEC. But we just see them in Big 12 games so it is assumed. The point being that there is no "Big 12 refs" as a group that do the bidding of the Big 12 conference or the ncaa.

• Dumb

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The refs who live in the Midwest do more Midwest games as they make more money spending less time and money on travel. Higgins does mostly Big 12, Big Ten, SEC. But we just see them in Big 12 games so it is assumed. The point being that there is no "Big 12 refs" as a group that do the bidding of the Big 12 conference or the ncaa.

Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about.

Some moron telling us something we all know and have heard a thousand times as if he’s brilliant for bringing us this new earth shattering info.

They hire the same guys over and over again. They control the hiring process. Anyone who has run a business with freelancers knows you call back who you want/like and stop bringing back those you don’t.

• Dumb
Reactions: Clonedogg

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
But yet, you blabber on with your "Kansas is the greatest program ever" opinion.
You didn't even get that assumption right. I only think they are the 2nd or 3rd best program ever.

The refs stink in every conference.