Big Ten East vs Big Ten West

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Go Gophers!

Mohamed Ibrahim is back from injury and one of the leagues top backs.** Defense is good, good enough that teams like the Hawks will have issues. On the flip side, Gophers are built to run and da Hawks do seem tough on the run as usual. Will see if 5th year QB Tanner can play well enough to get them the top spot. Hawks at Minnesota this year might look a lot like the ISU/Iowa game, less the Gophers messing up as much on special teams.

** That's the only real takeaway from the curb stomping they gave a really bad FCS team on Saturday.
My takeaway after watching Minnesota's first game is that they are way better than the second worst offensive team in the country.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Thus, virtually guaranteeing them a seat in the playoffs. It's by design. Now that CFP is going to 12, I'll bet the house the B1G structures it so two teams will always get in.
Statistically, they should get 2 teams in just based on numbers with 16 teams.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa is one QB injury away from being a contender in that division. Unfortunately, the QB that would have to get injured is their own.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Thus, virtually guaranteeing them a seat in the playoffs. It's by design. Now that CFP is going to 12, I'll bet the house the B1G structures it so two teams will always get in.
Of course - the B1G champ, and an at large bid will go to the next best B1G East team. So basically OSU every year, with MU/MichSt/PennSt playing Round Robin.

Same for the SEC, getting 2 or even 3 teams in every year. 1 Big 12, 1 ACC, 1 Pac-12 and then some G5 fodder. Oh and ND of course.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Until USC joins the West that division could have years where there isn’t a top 25 team. And even the Trojans have had a lot of down years lately.
Will the B1G keep divisions? Most conferences are scrapping them.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The safe word with BF and I is ….. Punt.

Pretty sure divisions will go away once USC and UCLA arrive.
Yeah they were already talking about removing divisions before this the new additions just provide a good timeline.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Will the B1G keep divisions? Most conferences are scrapping them.

It's a lot easier to have your name brands avoid playing each other if you don't have set schedules. Gotta get as many CFP spots as possible. If Vanderbilt needs to play the most difficult schedule in the country every year, then that's a sacrifice that Alabama is willing to make.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
It's a lot easier to have your name brands avoid playing each other if you don't have set schedules. Gotta get as many CFP spots as possible. If Vanderbilt needs to play the most difficult schedule in the country every year, then that's a sacrifice that Alabama is willing to make.
Most of the proposals are for set schedules, but not all teams are treated the same. Many have 3 rivalry teams that are played every year and then some rotating schedule of the rest of the teams. They're not going to do away with Ohio State - Michigan, Florida - Georgia, or Alabama - Auburn. For Iowa, I would guess they would play Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska every year.