Big12 Coaches Talk Anonymously

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
"What they do on offense is the same thing. On film, the RB (Breece Hall) and QB (Brock Purdy) are talented but not amazing and the rest of the skill positions are just guys. But they’re patient and methodical. They get big on you with their personnel, lots of tight ends and they create broad blocking surfaces. They bother you because no one plays like they do anymore. You’re dealing with unbalanced sets you haven’t seen all season in a spread league."

I whole-heartedly disagree with this idiotic assessment. Breece is the best back in the game, Kolar will be in the race to win the Mackey till the end and Xavier Hutchinson is an absolute stud.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Read it an noted this: “What they do on offense is the same thing. On film, the RB (Breece Hall) and QB (Brock Purdy) are talented but not amazing and the rest of the skill positions are just guys.”

giphy.gif

Reactions: Nothingman

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
"What they do on offense is the same thing. On film, the RB (Breece Hall) and QB (Brock Purdy) are talented but not amazing and the rest of the skill positions are just guys. But they’re patient and methodical. They get big on you with their personnel, lots of tight ends and they create broad blocking surfaces. They bother you because no one plays like they do anymore. You’re dealing with unbalanced sets you haven’t seen all season in a spread league."

I whole-heartedly disagree with this idiotic assessment. Breece is the best back in the game, Kolar will be in the race to win the Mackey till the end and Xavier Hutchinson is an absolute stud.
I would be willing to bet 50 bucks that came from an OU coach.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
While a few of those comments about Iowa State made me cringe, I saw tons of respect for our program. It's only getting started folks. Matt is building something very special and he's building it on a rock solid foundation.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
I know that article is dated today, but I feel like I've seen these before. Especially the line about our skill position guys not being amazing, which still pisses me off.
I agree. I think I read pretty much that same quote last year. If they still think our team is just guys, maybe that explains why they lose to us.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Reporter "Hey Coach Campbell we are trying to keep this an anonymous article, but you're making it difficult by constantly saying things like 'the reality of the situation', 'the process' 'be the best version of yourself that you can be'"

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The article never clearly states its from head coaches, so who knows if any of these are actually quotes from head coaches.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
TCU
"Defensively they’re Gary’s [Patterson] team, obviously. They’re always a challenge, they’re always unique in their scheme. They’re probably the best tackling defense in our league every year. One thing Gary does so well is he’ll throw a lot of intricate-looking stuff at you but it doesn’t keep his guys from attacking. They’re really physical and they’re doing a lot mentally. That’s good coaching."

OU
"The QB (Spencer Rattler) made his mistakes early on, you could rattle him early on in the season and he wasn’t completely comfortable in that system. He got better down the stretch with his decision-making and looked a lot calmer. The thing is, their offensive skill is at such a level where they can bail him out. They have legit scoring threats across the field on every play."
UT
"Obviously they’re going to have to find a new QB and built the identity out there. Casey [Thompson] looked good in the bowl game; I’m not sure if that helps him with the new staff. Sam [Ehlinger] never really got the kind of respect I thought he deserved. He really willed things to happen in that offense and worked his ass off."
WV
"Neal [Brown] has done a great job so far with the rebuild. It’s not fair to call it a rebuild, but they had a complete culture change because of the personality of the two coaches and Dana [Holgorsen] left after his best roster, maybe the most talented one they’d ever seen."

Those absolutely sound like Matt Campbell.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As much as it pains me to admit, Iowa has been very successful playing the exact same way that we are now. Look at their recruiting, no 5 stars, a few four stars and mainly 3 stars that are willing to work and get better as a player. They play together as a team, everyone does their job and do not try and do more than your job, eliminate silly mistakes and take care of the ball and allow the other team to turn it over and then make them pay.

That is also what ISU has become, and now we are starting to bring in more 4 star recruits to do it even better. I would love to go on a 20 year run like EIU has enjoyed for the last couple of decades. Lots of 8 and up win seasons, and a poor season is going 7-5.