Big12 PPG vs ISU Scoring

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A bad season after three straight years of taking average talent to near the very top or the top of the big 12 in offense and our fans response is to fire the coaches.

Man, I can’t wait to see the massive line of offensive coaching talent lining up nationwide for this job here in Ames Iowa
I don’t think you can say that. By most metrics last year they were probably 4/10 in the league. Before injury Breece looked like he might be the best RB on the planet. Purdy started a billion games and is QB2 on a good team, Kolar was a 4th rounder.

I think a big step back offensively is understandable. But when you adjust for opponent this offense is one of the worst in power conferences.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A bad season after three straight years of taking average talent to near the very top or the top of the big 12 in offense and our fans response is to fire the coaches.

Man, I can’t wait to see the massive line of offensive coaching talent lining up nationwide for this job here in Ames Iowa

For 2 of those three years, ISU finished 5-4 in the conference. 5-4 isn't near the top of the conference; it's in the middle.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
For 2 of those three years, ISU finished 5-4 in the conference. 5-4 isn't near the top of the conference; it's in the middle.
Not because of lack of offensive output. Our special teams play has largely been atrocious and has been nearly the sole cause in many of our losses

Reactions: BigCyFan

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I don’t think you can say that. By most metrics last year they were probably 4/10 in the league. Before injury Breece looked like he might be the best RB on the planet. Purdy started a billion games and is QB2 on a good team, Kolar was a 4th rounder.

I think a big step back offensively is understandable. But when you adjust for opponent this offense is one of the worst in power conferences.
I don't see what would be stopping us from poaching the best offensive coordinator from the MAC, or maybe the offensive coordinator from a school like Tulane - who by the way just wins 8 games+ per year.

There are talented coordinators all over the place or good offensive line coaches from a lower level who should be very interested in a Big 12 job and pay bump. Time to make some tough decisions. Shaking up the coaches would also allow us to get some portal guys who could follow those coaches from a lower level to an Iowa State.

This has to get done, if the offensive staff is the same next year I don't think we go bowling in 2023. I'm quite confident in that too. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We are Iowa, in a better league, without the special teams.

ETA: per SP+, Iowa is 107 on offense, 1 on defense and 10 on special teams. ISU is 101 on offense, 7 on defense and 122 on special teams. But our conference is equivalent to the B1G East or SEC East. The B1G West is 6ppg worse.

Iowa beat Wisconsin 24-10 with no offense and averaged 2.1 yards per play. How did they win? Punting and turnovers. They just tend to not beat themselves - we do. We had 5 turnovers and a whole bunch of short punts.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not because of lack of offensive output. Our special teams play has largely been atrocious and has been nearly the sole cause in many of our losses

The defense in '19 and '21 was also leaky.

As much as this year's defense is getting hung out to dry, the offense was pretty good in those years while the defense would get lit up a bit.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
The defense in '19 and '21 was also leaky.

As much as this year's defense is getting hung out to dry, the offense was pretty good in those years while the defense would get lit up a bit.
Uh.... how bout no? At least last year.

2021 Iowa State defense - we were 10th in defense and allowed 20.6 points per game, 13th vs. the pass and 21st in rush defense and 23rd in scoring. There were some bad outings, yes, but overall, no, the defense was not leaky.

2019 Iowa State defense - we were average defensively so that's a fairer statement.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Uh.... how bout no? At least last year.

2021 Iowa State defense - we were 10th in defense and allowed 20.6 points per game, 13th vs. the pass and 21st in rush defense and 23rd in scoring. There were some bad outings, yes, but overall, no, the defense was not leaky.

2019 Iowa State defense - we were average defensively so that's a fairer statement.

So...the huge plays given up vs. WV and Tech last year that were the difference between 7 and 9 losses weren't leaky?

WV had horrible calls/non calls but I'm not trusting the defense late either.

Their stats were great but the back end struggled.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Yes but how much of that versus West Virginia was because outside of two big plays the offense was MIA?

West Virginia
Went 2 for 12 on 3rd down.
138 of 424 came on two plays - the rest of the game we gained 286 on 59 plays (4.8) per play.
Lost 34 yards on TFL's vs. West Virginia
Had 10 first downs for the entire game
-10 minutes time of possession.
- Scored 7 points in the 2nd half - we had a pick 6 by Hummel
- Yes, the defense gave up the lead but the offense certainly did not help at all in the second half

Texas Tech

- This one I would agree with you.

Reactions: VeloClone

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I like that....nothing changes if nothing changes.

If there isn't staff shakeup on the offensive side of the ball, why would we expect improvement?

QBs don't seem to improve in this system.

People forget Jacob Park, maybe he had a point when he was so upset in that Texas game. Maybe they really handcuff the QB to the point of suffocation.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I like that....nothing changes if nothing changes.

If there isn't staff shakeup on the offensive side of the ball, why would we expect improvement?

QBs don't seem to improve in this system.

People forget Jacob Park, maybe he had a point when he was so upset in that Texas game. Maybe they really handcuff the QB to the point of suffocation.
Hunter Dekkers looked utterly infuriated when he went to the sideline during the Kansas game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron