Biggest Screwjobs that went ISU's way....

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but one of the bigger calls that went our way that was highly questionable and resulted in an ISU win was against Cincinnati in the 1997 NCAA Tournament. Before Klay Edwards hit his little hook shot to go ahead ISU had missed a shot and Cinci had the ball. But there was a scrum and Kenny Pratt kinda grabbed the guys leg who then fell. They called travelling. Edwards hit the shot off of the inbounds pass.

I can't look up the video from work but the game highlights are on youtube. You could maybe argue that it was the correct call...but it probably wasn't. Bob Huggins is real ****** about it too. (Btw, that Cinci team was loaded...Rueben Patterson, Danny Fortson, and a young Kenyon Martin that never really got to play.)

Appreciate the effort...but I don't think it's going to end well.

The video starts with about a minute left...Kelvin Cato rejects a Cincy player getting all ball and no body...fouls out, Tim Floyd is absolutely livid. Two completely undeserved points for Cincy and future NBA stud Cato gone for ISU.

Then the 'break' Cincy player falls into Pratt who falls into the Cincy player who eventually travels. No players foul out, less of an impact on the game than the bad call just before it.

At best it's two equally bad calls resulting in 2 points for both teams within 20 seconds of each other and Cincy gets ball back after both calls with 26 seconds still on the clock and none of their players fouled out from the calls.

Absolutely nothing like...game fixing level call with Whithey being granted a 6th foul...minute later a very bad call letting KU player plow over Niang...KU player chokes on the easy shot the ref has facilitated...then a gigantically obvious game fixing call on Niang because a player who plowed him is laying on top of him as he goes for a loose ball. And that's just one of the worst examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqOWLWsa50

The 'evens out' contrarians aren't having a good run here.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I'm not even going to try and name the year, but a long time ago Kenny Pratt got suspended for an OWI that he blamed on cough syrup. The BOR overturned the suspension, and he travelled with the team to a game at Missouri. I believe after not playing in the first half, Floyd unleashed him in the second half, and he dominated the game, leading the Cyclones to an improbable victory.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but one of the bigger calls that went our way that was highly questionable and resulted in an ISU win was against Cincinnati in the 1997 NCAA Tournament. Before Klay Edwards hit his little hook shot to go ahead ISU had missed a shot and Cinci had the ball. But there was a scrum and Kenny Pratt kinda grabbed the guys leg who then fell. They called travelling. Edwards hit the shot off of the inbounds pass.

I can't look up the video from work but the game highlights are on youtube. You could maybe argue that it was the correct call...but it probably wasn't. Bob Huggins is real ****** about it too. (Btw, that Cinci team was loaded...Rueben Patterson, Danny Fortson, and a young Kenyon Martin that never really got to play.)

Very true, but it was a make up call of sorts. The refs had not long before that called a foul on Cato that was undeniably a clean block with no foul to the body. The travel was a screwy call, but it felt like justice, even to a guy who's not a fan of consequentialism.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not even going to try and name the year, but a long time ago Kenny Pratt got suspended for an OWI that he blamed on cough syrup. The BOR overturned the suspension, and he travelled with the team to a game at Missouri. I believe after not playing in the first half, Floyd unleashed him in the second half, and he dominated the game, leading the Cyclones to an improbable victory.

This sounds like the toughest ruling. It does sound like a break, but a break we gave ourselves rather than a break from officials or the conference. Given it happened in the same decade when Nebraska football was winning national titles with known violent criminals I'm going to classify as a break but a comparably minor one.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Appreciate the effort...but I don't think it's going to end well.

The video starts with about a minute left...Kelvin Cato rejects a Cincy player getting all ball and no body...fouls out, Tim Floyd is absolutely livid. Two completely undeserved points for Cincy and future NBA stud Cato gone for ISU.

Then the 'break' Cincy player falls into Pratt who falls into the Cincy player who eventually travels. No players foul out, less of an impact on the game than the bad call just before it.

At best it's two equally bad calls resulting in 2 points for both teams within 20 seconds of each other and Cincy gets ball back after both calls with 26 seconds still on the clock and none of their players fouled out from the calls.

Absolutely nothing like...game fixing level call with Whithey being granted a 6th foul...minute later a very bad call letting KU player plow over Niang...KU player chokes on the easy shot the ref has facilitated...then a gigantically obvious game fixing call on Niang because a player who plowed him is laying on top of him as he goes for a loose ball. And that's just one of the worst examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqOWLWsa50

The 'evens out' contrarians aren't having a good run here.

The "make up" aspect of the bad Cato call could be factored in, though it shouldn't.

I'm not trying to play contrarian. But I'm also not suggesting that any of this is "fixing". A lot of the bad breaks for ISU are certainly unfortunate but in most cases they're either bad calls because they were just bad or because of other human elements. Suggesting a systematic fixing of games against ISU is pretty far fetched....especially when it encompasses more than one entity.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
you are right that CU was arguing that it was a 2, but I wouldn't say that it was off "well before the buzzer". they didn't have tenth of a second function on the clock back then so it is hard to say. It might have been released at 0.1 or 0.2, if that. All that matters is that it went in and the good guys got a W.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PhZ3pyCnI

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The "make up" aspect of the bad Cato call could be factored in, though it shouldn't.

I'm not trying to play contrarian. But I'm also not suggesting that any of this is "fixing". A lot of the bad breaks for ISU are certainly unfortunate but in most cases they're either bad calls because they were just bad or because of other human elements. Suggesting a systematic fixing of games against ISU is pretty far fetched....especially when it encompasses more than one entity.

One game doesn't have to be systematic broad conspiracy. Plus I've seen fishy games live several times and found out a few years later they were fixed. It's not as impossible as people think and doesn't require some vast network of conspiracy.

The 3 horrible calls in a row in the final two minutes of the ISU/KU game two years ago, it's just as likely an official or two had an axe to grind or an agenda as it is all 3 were honest mistakes. Especially the final inexplicable call. It only takes one human being less than 100% honest, that's not a vast conspiracy, in fact it's almost human nature.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
you are right that CU was arguing that it was a 2, but I wouldn't say that it was off "well before the buzzer". they didn't have tenth of a second function on the clock back then so it is hard to say. It might have been released at 0.1 or 0.2, if that. All that matters is that it went in and the good guys got a W.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PhZ3pyCnI

There is a tenth of second function on the clock on the video you posted. Besides, the clock doesn't matter, look at the light. Time has not expired until the light is lit. When the light comes on it is out of his hands. I'm not sure how anyone could say "with today's technology might have been waved off." Only if they blow the call...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There is a tenth of second function on the clock on the video you posted. Besides, the clock doesn't matter, look at the light. Time has not expired until the light is lit. When the light comes on it is out of his hands. I'm not sure how anyone could say "with today's technology might have been waved off." Only if they blow the call...

"Today's technology" consists of a rusty fence post that gets jammed up our rear end.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
You are right. this morning I was clouded by my memory of the game and family at the game. i suppose if I post a link I should look at it. D'oh.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Except it wasnt a screw job.. On the play before they snapped the ball before the ready to play signal from the referee. Pretty clear. Then, on this play (in the video) the clock started on the ready for play signal, and they didnt get the ball snapped prior to the clock expiring. Tense and close, but correct calls .. both of them.

Yeah, that was the game. Except this video only shows the final play. I think there was another play right before it that was even more controversial. Colorado has to have this one high on their list of games that got stolen from them by the refs (even if the calls make sense to us).