Bigs for next year?

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Stevie Johnson - listed at 6'4" and almost assuredly wasn't even all of that.
Most productive frontcount players in major conferences are taller than 6'4"-6'5". Stevie was a nice exception for us ~25 years ago for sure, but not sure what your point is here. Saying someone who is 6'5" might be undersized against Big 12 frontcourts is not a controversial statement.

Most people make more money if they graduate from college, etc.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Watson is the best defender on the #1 defensive team in the country (since 1/1/2024 according to Torvick). He is a 33% three point shot away from being an NBA draft pick. Tamin went from 20% to 37% in one off season, Watson doesn't even need to make that much of a jump.

I'm also pretty sure he has grown an inch or two since coming to campus. 6'8" with bounce and at least a 7' wingspan.
I've thought about lineups next year and agree with yours that there likely is a spot for Watson starting assuming he keeps working his ass off. He's a natural fit with Momcilovic and another offensive-minded big. I actually think he'll likely get paired up with Rock next year, whether that's starting or off the bench.

Curtis Jones is a weapon as a sixth man, I love him off the bench but don't care if he starts, either. Regardless he'll play 30+ mpg next year. I think it's more how our bigs turn out. Assuming Rock is a bit more ready offensively than defensively next year as he transitions to college ball and we'll grab a defensive minded big. I think you pair Rock and Watson together and the defensive big with Jones.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Most productive frontcount players in major conferences are taller than 6'4"-6'5". Stevie was a nice exception for us ~25 years ago for sure, but not sure what your point is here. Saying someone who is 6'5" might be undersized against Big 12 frontcourts is not a controversial statement.

Most people make more money if they graduate from college, etc.
I never suggested it was controversial. I added another ISU exception to the rule, nothing more. It is no different than you putting Burton in there, except mine was probably an inch or more shorter.

Here is another one for you, more recent than Stevie: Kenny Pratt was also listed at 6'5".

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I never suggested it was controversial. I added another ISU exception to the rule, nothing more. It is no different than you putting Burton in there, except mine was probably an inch or more shorter.

Here is another one for you, more recent than Stevie: Kenny Pratt was also listed at 6'5".
Pratt was before Stevie.

I don't think it's all that valid any more. These guys played a quarter of a century ago. It isn't just that guys are generally bigger, they are a lot more skilled. Those guys were exceptions back in the day, and they'd be even more rare now.

Burton was different in that he was a lot more skilled than Stevie and a lot more athletic and long than Pratt. Burton had freaky length. He might have been 6'5-6'6 but he had a crazy wingspan.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pratt was before Stevie.

I don't think it's all that valid any more. These guys played a quarter of a century ago. It isn't just that guys are generally bigger, they are a lot more skilled. Those guys were exceptions back in the day, and they'd be even more rare now.

Burton was different in that he was a lot more skilled than Stevie and a lot more athletic and long than Pratt. Burton had freaky length. He might have been 6'5-6'6 but he had a crazy wingspan.
Yup, he was earlier. I stand corrected (and feel really old).

Yes, it is not the norm. But there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That's absolutely going to be his specialty. Those expecting him to average 20 a game have never understood his skillset. Just like those that expected Omaha to come in an be a difference maker on offense this year clearly hadn't watched any of his high school games. He dominated simply because of size and power, not because he has a pretty jump shot or can create some vast amount of his own space against similar sized guys.
Nobody expects Fish to score 20 a game.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Honestly, Pav would benefit A LOT from redshirting. He needs to bulk up.

Jones and Gilbert are gone after 2025. If Lipsey takes a jump next year like he took this year, he could be off to the NBA.

Guys like Nojus and Jelani are not PG's, so Pav could be your starting PG in 2025 and 26
I like Pav, but he is not ever going to be a good Big 12 starting PG.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
He needs better ball-handling skills too but those both could happen.
Nah, if he can be consistent from 3, he is a prototype 3-and-D NBA wing. Defends 1 through 4, rebounds, spaces the D and buries short corner 3s. I don’t know if he can be a good enough shooter, but if he can, look out.

Reactions: jcyclonee

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I agree on Jones, but a point on Watson: Baylor won the title in 2021 with a starting 4 who averaged 6 points per game, 7 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block, while shooting 50% from the free throw line and only attempting 6 three-point shots the entire season.

Edit: Oddly enough, Watson's win shares per 40 minutes this season and Vital's WS/40 that season are identical at 0.175.
Gotta have some great shooting guards to manage that though. Great on ball defenders and greater than 40% from 3.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm really worried about our front line situation for next year. With good bigs, they are expensive in the portal and we won't be able to outspend so many other programs for the good ones. We just have to hope there is a guy out there that is willing to come to a great situation, a loaded and experienced guard court, for less money.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I was just talking to someone about the early TJ time here...i remember when Xavier was supposed to be a beast...and when he was let go/released/kicked off (?) many were like "uh oh...we are a crappy team and we just got rid of our best player?" shade at TJ.

What we know is TJ and his staff for sure will be having honest convos with current guys about their roles and will look for players that fit what we do....his track record on this is becoming very reliable.
TJ is a rare bird. He demands a tough, disciplined approach to everything they do and he does it without being an *******. He is also very poised. He’s Tom Izzo without all the sideline histrionics. And those traits appear on the court with his teams. They were an undermanned team that went into a hornet’s nest in Milwaukee 2 years ago and dominated the Big 10 co-champ Badgers on virtually their home floor. That only happens because of TJ’s demeanor and the culture he’s built. Likewise with the win at TCU this year with Lipsey out. That win kick started this whole run.

In summary, TJ is in his early 40s and he has a winning formula. He has it figured out. Bodes well for Iowa State for the long haul.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
TJ is a rare bird. He demands a tough, disciplined approach to everything they do and he does it without being an *******. He is also very poised. He’s Tom Izzo without all the sideline histrionics. And those traits appear on the court with his teams. They were an undermanned team that went into a hornet’s nest in Milwaukee 2 years ago and dominated the Big 10 co-champ Badgers on virtually their home floor. That only happens because of TJ’s demeanor and the culture he’s built. Likewise with the win at TCU this year with Lipsey out. That win kick started this whole run.

In summary, TJ is in his early 40s and he has a winning formula. He has it figured out. Bodes well for Iowa State for the long haul.
What I really like is they talk about bad things happening all the time. So many teams get shell shocked when shots aren't falling or an opponent goes on a big run. TJ and his staff have talked about and practiced just those situations. How many times are the players talking about how they knew that the other team was going to make a run and they were prepared for it and knew what they had to do to get out of it. There is no panic if it is going just as you expected.

Reactions: clonehome

Help Support Us

Become a patron