Board of Regents New Hire

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The IA. BOR is creating a new position to run it's daily operations with a base salary that's more than 85,000 dollars higher than the executive director can receive by law.
U of I administrator has been named to a one year interim appointment as COO for the board which governs the states 3 public universities. If approved by the board next week, Braun is expected to begin the position Aug 5 with a $240000 annual salary. In an unusual arrangement, he'll remain on the U of I payroll during the interim appointment rather than transferring those costs to the board office.
The board executive director, Bob Donley, has a base salary of 154,300 the cap set for the position by state lawmakers. But Donley receives extra compensation in the forms of bonuses and deferred compensation.
Board spokesman Josh Lehman said nothing precludes a subordinate employee from earning a higher salary than Donley. He said the board was fortunate to have Braun, a longtime top aide to the departing U of I pres. Sally Mason.
The new position is part of a restructuring of the 20 employee board office in Urbandale designed to "achieve and maintain greater operational efficiencies," according to report given the regents.

WTF sounds like pension padding to me if Donley can't get the job done fire him. Don't hire someone under him for 240,000 to do the job he isn't getting done. Mods started this in Campus life but if you need to move to cave.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So was he making $240,000 at the U of I and they had to match that for him to take the position? It seems the only plausible explanation considering the university is still paying him. I guess I'd be interested to know if his position at the university is being backfilled to understand whether this is really a net increase in salaries for the state.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
These people are asked to coordinate and supervise institutions with over $3 billion of annual expenditures and a lot of conflicting agendas, the salaries are low by private industry standards. Sometimes the salary cap for directors hurts when trying to hire qualified managers.

The thing I am worried about is an EIU homer in such a important position.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
These people are asked to coordinate and supervise institutions with over $3 billion of annual expenditures and a lot of conflicting agendas, the salaries are low by private industry standards. Sometimes the salary cap for directors hurts when trying to hire qualified managers.

+1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Be careful of a palace coup!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Especially since that whole AIB thing isn't totally implemented yet, as far as I know. Still time to "tweak" things to help the Hawks get a bigger presence in Des Moines. Which isn't just an Iowa State problem, but also a Drake problem, and to a lesser extent a DMACC problem.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

You said it. It's a blatant move on EIU's part to have their man on the inside of the BOR seeing that everything is done to benefit themselves. It's sneaky and totally typical of the way that EIU operates. I would say that it's a huge conflict of interest because he's paid by EIU and answers to them but works inside the BOR.

I can just imagine the chuckles and laughter coming from the EIU administration and lawyer alums over pulling off this coup.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
[/B]

You said it. It's a blatant move on EIU's part to have their man on the inside of the BOR seeing that everything is done to benefit themselves. It's sneaky and totally typical of the way that EIU operates. I would say that it's a huge conflict of interest because he's paid by EIU and answers to them but works inside the BOR.

I can just imagine the chuckles and laughter coming from the EIU administration and lawyer alums over pulling off this coup.
I love a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, but your theory could not be further off the mark.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I love a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, but your theory could not be further off the mark.

While it may not be a deliberate move by EIU, you have to see that there could be a potential conflict of interest here, right?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think ISU remains safely in the Board's good graces.

081508pomerantz-hirez.jpg