Bracketology 2024

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Those are seeded first, but they follow the same principles for 5-16, similarly I would expect Gonzaga to be in Spokane or BYU in SLC if they can get matched up with the respective seeds
I don’t believe a 7 seed is sent to a site based on proximity. It’s only for the top 4 seeds of each bracket (top 16 overall)

“National Seeds
Before any games get underway, it first begins with the seeding. The top 16 teams of the tournament are assigned what is called a “national seed”. This helps shape the tournament and designate who is playing who, and where they are playing upon advancing to the next round. Each team that is assigned a national seed is granted hosting rights for the regionals round.”

Source

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don’t believe a 7 seed is sent to a site based on proximity. It’s only for the top 4 seeds of each bracket (top 16 overall)

“National Seeds
Before any games get underway, it first begins with the seeding. The top 16 teams of the tournament are assigned what is called a “national seed”. This helps shape the tournament and designate who is playing who, and where they are playing upon advancing to the next round. Each team that is assigned a national seed is granted hosting rights for the regionals round.”

Source
They are assuming all other principles are satisfied.

That's how Auburn got Birmingham. Saves money on travel for the NCAA and keeps teams from losing time traveling if possible.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

“National Seeds

Source
That is the college baseball rules

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

That's how Auburn got Birmingham. Saves money on travel for the NCAA and keeps teams from losing time traveling if possible.
Correct. But such instances are the exceptions rather than the norm. I was correcting someone trying to say teams seeded 5-16 are placed at regional sites based on their proximity.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just show a replay of the Pitt game last year. They have motivation

It doesn't seem like they dwell on such things but the KSU game would be a good reminder to what happens if the ball isn't shared or managed.

He was pissed in the post game that day but I wonder if he also loved having that kind of pivot point for reference.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

“National Seeds

Source
I guess we will see today, what I have read from the NCAA site and from bracketologists is it can absolutely happen. I think it will be moot in regards to Nebby though, I think they will be a 8 seed and we will be a 2. The only reason I've seen to keep them on the 7 is the bid stealers are pushing the bubble down.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The Valley has historically been 7th-9th for the past 20 years. This year it finished 9th, just a fraction behind the A10.

It's every bit the same league it's always been even if the names have changed.
I don’t know, if Indiana St doesn’t get in it’s going to pushing a decade with one multi-bid year. In the early 2000s it was a 2-4 bid league. Even leading it up to the current lineup it was more often than not a 2 bid league.

It is still ranked similarly but the ceiling for the league in terms of bids and seeds those bids get is significantly lower. I do think it can and should be a pretty consistent 2 bid league, it had a good stretch of being really damn good.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Also throw in the committee member saying their was 3 teams still in play for the last 1 seed yesterday morning on CBS. I think a lot of people were surprised by that and realized ISU probably has to be one of the 3 teams.
I think they meant it was UNC, Tennessee (because of SEC hard on) and Arizona.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

This is actually a very overlooked point, the NCAA charters flights (sun country I believe or at least they have had the contract the last few years) for all of the teams.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I know this is not popular, but I think they’re all overreacting to the conference tournaments. The committee has routinely ignored the results of the tournaments and seeded based more heavily on the regular season. So ISU will probably be a 2 seed
Yes most years this is true as things aren't too out of the norm. Yesterday we had a team (UNC) who recently moved to the 1 line lose to a team who wasn't going to even make the tournament. Then we had a solid 2 seed (ISU) beat the ever living **** out of the #1 team in the country for the largest loss by a #1 team in decades.

You think none of this won't matter? Maybe ISU continues to be a 2, but I can guarantee there will at least be discussion.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seems many of the updated projections are still sending us to Boston. I can live with UNC getting the final 1 seed but how are we not getting our geographically favored region. Only way that should happen is if Tennessee or Marquette are still ahead of us.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don’t know, if Indiana St doesn’t get in it’s going to pushing a decade with one multi-bid year. In the early 2000s it was a 2-4 bid league. Even leading it up to the current lineup it was more often than not a 2 bid league.

It is still ranked similarly but the ceiling for the league in terms of bids and seeds those bids get is significantly lower. I do think it can and should be a pretty consistent 2 bid league, it had a good stretch of being really damn good.
The game changed, the league didn't.

The A10 and AAC should have been 1 bid leagues as well. We'll see what the inevitable expansion and reforming of autobids does.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Interesting NET details with ISU-UNC comparison. Both teams have same combined record in Q1/Q2 (16-7) and Q3/Q4 (11-0).

NC has better win% vs. Q1, ISU better vs Q2; NC has more wins in Q3, fewer Q4 games (both are unbeaten in Q3 & Q4).

I don't know specifically how much factor some of that is, just found it intriguing.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

The other factor that most don't think about. Instead of being the Big 8 with 8 teams, it's now the Big XII with 14 (soon to be 16) teams. SEC, B1G, ACC and BigEast have similarly grown. Some of that is major conference musical chairs, but also quite a bit of promoting from MidMajors. With a larger pool of P6 teams vying for spots there are fewer spots for the Mid majors. The conference may still be 9 or 10 in strength, but there are now a lot more teams in those conferences above them.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This is actually a very overlooked point, the NCAA charters flights (sun country I believe or at least they have had the contract the last few years) for all of the teams.
Shorts Travel in Waterloo actually schedules all travel. It's an insane task to get 134 teams to sites in 2 days.

• Informative
Reactions: mctallerton

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I think they meant it was UNC, Tennessee (because of SEC hard on) and Arizona.
While you could be right I refuse to believe it was Arizona. Losses to Stanford, Oregon State, and USC has to mean something