Bracketology 2024

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The second tweet made me think he thinks ISU lost to West Virginia last weekend...

Ironically Kansas lost at WV. I suppose that doesn't matter either. Yeah we get it, McCullar is out but a team that has shown ZERO depth this year should not get a pass because they are missing a top player. If anything Kansas should get penalized for their lack of depth. They are literally foul trouble away from losing to anybody in the first round.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Ironically Kansas lost at WV. I suppose that doesn't matter either. Yeah we get it, McCullar is out but a team that has shown ZERO depth this year should not get a pass because they are missing a top player. If anything Kansas should get penalized for their lack of depth. They are literally foul trouble away from losing to anybody in the first round.
Kansas has better wins but they also have worse losses and might be without McCullar. They also peaked early in the season meanwhile Iowa State is playing good ball right now. This joker wanted to drop Iowa State to the 3 line after they lost at Houston by 8.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
You just said Iowa St needs to finish 3 games ahead of Kansas in conference to be seeded ahead of them. So remind me why anything you spew is relevant?

In that scenario Kansas is a six seed in KC.

Conference record literally means nothing when it comes to NCAA Tournament selection process. It is not on the teamsheets that the committee looks at. They do not care, especially with leagues now having unbalanced schedules.

Kansas has beaten Houston, UConn, and Tennessee. Beating three 1-seeds will carry weight with the committee. And I firmly believe after doing this for years that there is an unconscious bias with some teams (Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, etc.) where they tend to get overseeded (see Kansas getting the last 2-seed over Iowa State in 2015). Now if they lose to Baylor and Houston while ISU wins out, ISU will pass them. Which is what I said in my post.

But yes, I'm the one that's "spewing". Look at my post history. It's not like I'm pulling this s*** out of my ass.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Conference record literally means nothing when it comes to NCAA Tournament selection process. It is not on the teamsheets that the committee looks at. They do not care, especially with leagues now having unbalanced schedules.

Kansas has beaten Houston, UConn, and Tennessee. Beating three 1-seeds will carry weight with the committee. And I firmly believe after doing this for years that there is an unconscious bias with some teams (Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, etc.) where they tend to get overseeded (see Kansas getting the last 2-seed over Iowa State in 2015). Now if they lose to Baylor and Houston while ISU wins out, ISU will pass them. Which is what I said in my post.

But yes, I'm the one that's "spewing". Look at my post history. It's not like I'm pulling this s*** out of my ass.

The committee also has experience of valuing top level wins way, way more than bad losses. So KU gets a pass for 3 bad losses because they have really good wins.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

So common opponents means nothing to you, head to head...nothing. Bad loses like I don't know West Virginia...nothing.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Kansas' seeding feels pretty straightforward to me. If they win at either Baylor or Houston they will be a 2 seed. If they lose both of those they will be a 3 seed.

Unless they did something surprising like lose the next three plus first game of Big 12s where they fall below a 3 or get hot and win the next three plus a couple at the Big 12s and be the 4th 1 seed.

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
So common opponents means nothing to you, head to head...nothing. Bad loses like I don't know West Virginia...nothing.

Dude, you're looking at this wrong. This has nothing to do with MY opinions. I'm trying to project what THE COMMITTEE will do, not what I would do. Just take a breath and step away from the keyboard.

Also just to engage with your incorrect basis for an argument for fun, let's look at record against common opponents, which the committee cares about ZERO percent. Against common opponents, ISU is 11-4 compared to Kansas being 10-5 against those same opponents. Outside of those opponents, Kansas best wins are UConn, Tennessee, and Kentucky. ISU's are VCU and Iowa. Yes, Kansas lost to West Virginia but does beating UConn, Tennessee, and Kentucky while losing to West Virginia outweigh beating West Virginia plus VCU and Iowa? I'm guessing the committee would say yes.

Now, losses DO MATTER. So If ISU wins out and doesn't win the Big 12 tournament while Kansas loses at Baylor and at Houston like they're projected to do while also not winning the Big 12 tournament, that would put them at 10 losses come Selection Sunday vs. Iowa State at 7 losses. ISU would be ahead of them on the seed list in that scenario.

I'm an ISU fan too, but our resume isn't so obviously better than Kansas's right now for you to act like I'm clueless for still having KU ahead of ISU. Once again, just let the next two weeks play out.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There is zero chance we fall to a 7. At worst a 4.

There is a 0% chance we drop to a 7

their floor is a maybe a 4, probably a 3. no way they could drop to the 7 line.

i think the ceiling is a 1 if they win their last 3 regular season games, tie for a share of the conference title, and then win it all in KC, but those are big ifs.
It's mjhavlo. Of course they will exaggerate the worst case scenario. Wait until our first matchup in the tournament. It will be a matchup that is much tougher than anyone realizes and we will be lucky to squeak out a win. Maybe even call for the outright upset.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Alabama and Kansas both are probably going to lose tomorrow and he'll somehow justify keeping them above Iowa State because losses don't matter to him (for those teams)
Unfortunately for our agenda, Vegas has Bama favored by 3.5 points tomorrow :mccaffery:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I get your point, and I see a lot of fans saying this, but just wait until we tip off in KC. There is something about postseason basketball that amps up the stakes and intensity. I suspect a lot of fans who all of a sudden don't care about KC will be biting their nails and melting down if we don't win.

Personally, I'd prefer that we win at least one game. I love the conference tournament, and that would be another Q1 cherry on top of the resume.
Big 12 tournaments matter a lot. The fans that think they are meaningless have never played basketball or attended a tournament.

The chance to win a conference championship is a great opportunity, and you only get a few chances to do so in a career. Players that win them, and the fans will remember them forever.