May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Big East as of 3/4/2024

Locks: UConn, Marquette, Creighton

Probably in:

Work To Do: Villanova, St John's, Seton Hall, Providence

Probably Out: Butler

No Shot: Georgetown, DePaul, Xavier

Villanova picked up a massive road win at Providence likely pushing them into the field - for now. They have a huge week with a road game at fellow bubble team Seton Hall and a home game against Creighton. If they can win either, they can feel good about their standing heading into the Big East tourney.

St John's had the weekend off and finishes with DePaul and Georgetown. The Johnnies need to avoid bad losses there and they are likely guaranteed to be in the field with a first round Big East tourney win. Must prognosticators have St John's in Dayton as it stands now.

Seton Hall took a blowout defeat to UConn. Not great for the ol' metrics to lose by 30 when you're firmly on the bubble. Seton Hall finishes with two home games against Villanova and DePaul. A win over Villanova would be huge for the Pirates tourney hopes. A loss is going to make things difficult even with their impressive collection of top tier Big East wins.

Providence's 0-2 week flipped them from the right side to the wrong side of the bubble. They are now one of the first 2-4 teams out of the tournament depending on who you ask. They have a must win game at Georgetown and then finish with the opportunity for a marquee win with UConn coming to town. The AMP will be rocking for that one. If they can't knock off the defending champs, they're going to need at least a mini run at the Garden next week.

Things look pretty bleak for Butler. They did win at DePaul by margin on Saturday but that doesn't move the needle much. They're barely under consideration as maybe the 12th-14th team out right now. They need to beat Xavier at home and also make a run in the Big East tourney that involves knocking off a UConn, Marquette, or Creighton.

Reactions: cyclones500

loneCYClone

Feb 20, 2024
Yep, Iowa fans don't want Drake to win the Valley tournament.
It looks like the MVC is going to be a 1 bid conference. Indiana state would likely be on the outside looking in, without winning the MVC tourney. Last year a similar Bradley team was NIT bound after winning the MVC regular then losing to Drake in the championship.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
It looks like the MVC is going to be a 1 bid conference. Indiana state would likely be on the outside looking in, without winning the MVC tourney. Last year a similar Bradley team was NIT bound after winning the MVC regular then losing to Drake in the championship.
Lol no you can't compare to last year's Bradley team, just because they won the regular season
That Bradley team was ranked in the 70s in the NET, around 90 in KenPom.

Indiana State is 29 in the NET and 45 in KenPom.

If the MVC championship is Indiana State vs Drake, I think both teams are in the tourney.

Reactions: VeloClone

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Big 10 as of 3/4/2024

Locks: Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois

Probably in: Michigan St, Northwestern, Nebraska

Work To Do: Iowa

Probably Out: Ohio St

No Shot: Indiana, Minnesota, Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, Michigan

Michigan St has lost 3 straight. They're starting to feel a little uncomfortable. A huge game at home Wednesday vs a banged up Northwestern bunch. Another loss and they are officially on the bubble.

Northwestern has been hit hard by injuries after losing Ty Berry for the year and Ryan Langborg dealing with an ankle sprain. After dropping a home game to Iowa, they need at least 1 win this week to truly feel safe.

Nebraska got a win over Rutgers last night. They are pretty much a lock but wouldn't want to lose that final game to an atrocious Michigan team. Nothing is for sure with a 1-8 road record in Big 10 play.

Iowa took care of Penn State and grabbed a road win over shorthanded Northwestern. They are officially on the bubble as one of the first 4-6 teams outside the field for now. A huge home game awaits next weekend with Illinois. Win that, they are looking pretty good to at least make Dayton. A loss, and they will likely need a 2-3 day BTT run.

Jake Diebler has given Ohio State new life. Every game is "must win" for the Buckeyes but they finish with a winnable road contest against Rutgers. Win that and they can play their way into the field in Minneapolis with a 2-3 day BTT tourney run. Another shot at Purdue may be in the cards in the Quarterfinals and would provide a major opportunity.

Can someone explain to me how / why Michigan State is getting so much love?

Against Quad 1: 4-8
Top 25 NET wins: #13 Baylor
Top 25 NET Losses: #2 Purdue, #4 Arizona, #10 Duke, #15 Illinois, #23 Wisconsin (twice),
Other Losses: @ #43 Nebraska, #52 James Madison, @ #53 Northwestern, #57 Iowa, #59 Ohio State, @ #77 Minnesota,

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Can someone explain to me how / why Michigan State is getting so much love?

Against Quad 1: 4-8
Top 25 NET wins: #13 Baylor
Top 25 NET Losses: #2 Purdue, #4 Arizona, #10 Duke, #15 Illinois, #23 Wisconsin (twice),
Other Losses: @ #43 Nebraska, #52 James Madison, @ #53 Northwestern, #57 Iowa, #59 Ohio State, @ #77 Minnesota,

loneCYClone

Feb 20, 2024
Lol no you can't compare to last year's Bradley team, just because they won the regular season
That Bradley team was ranked in the 70s in the NET, around 90 in KenPom.

Indiana State is 29 in the NET and 45 in KenPom.

If the MVC championship is Indiana State vs Drake, I think both teams are in the tourney.
Hope that's the case. I would love a bid stolen from the bubble for the MVC. Guess it just seemed like Indiana State and Drake were stumbling with some less then ideal losses.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Valley was historically bad last year (15th in the NET), back to 9th this year and Indiana State has fantastic numbers. My only concern with them not getting in would be the lack of a true marquee win (lost on the road at Alabama and Michigan State).

NiceMarmot

Oct 25, 2017
My updated bracket for March 1 as of the games completed last night.

View attachment 124795
  • My original bracket had Wisconsin as the 6-seed in Iowa State's pod, but due to Florida already playing Baylor and Alabama, I had to re-arrange a bit. But something to keep in mind with Wisconsin's profile worsening in the last few weeks that a rematch from two seasons ago is possible.
  • Iowa State is as close to Kansas yet in my projections for that last 2-seed. If ISU wins out and KU loses to Baylor and Houston, they'll pass Kansas. But do be aware that Baylor winning out could easily have them pass Iowa State.
    • If Kansas beats Baylor Saturday, it improves ISU's odds for Omaha and decreases their odds for a 2-seed.
    • If Baylor wins, Omaha competition gets stiffer while 2-seed odds increase.
      • If ISU loses at UCF and Baylor wins, that's a worst-case scenario for both.
  • I keep seeing national publications have Marquette getting the Midwest over North Carolina or Tennessee (if either or both of them are 2-seeds). Unless Marquette passes UNC or Tennessee in the seed list, based on what the NCAA bracketing principles say, UNC or Tennessee closest regional site is the Midwest. Chapel Hill and Knoxville are closer to Detroit than they are to Boston or Dallas.
    • This also related to ISU. If ISU gets up to that 2-seed line, say goodbye to Detroit and say hello to Los Angeles or Boston.
  • This is not ISU related, but we're entering a situation where it's feasibly possible for a potential Pitino vs. Pitino matchup in Dayton. I have both New Mexico and St. John's in my Last 4 In group right now. Typically, they have the first two of the Last 4 In play each other and the last two play each other. I've never understood that; it should be 1v4 and 2v3 but whatever. Either way, the NCAA should ignore all bracketing principles to give us father vs. son if both schools are in Dayton.

Here's my updated bracket for March 4 following this weekend's games.

1709578448233.png

• I have Iowa State as my final 2-seed now. Although if you look at the path it creates of Gonzaga/Creighton/Purdue, some might prefer Baylor or Kansas 3-seed path instead. Gonzaga in the 2nd round would be a nightmare scenario.
  • A bracketing rule for those who are unaware, any school from the same conference in the top-16 MUST be kept in different regions. This is the number 1 priority when the committee builds the bracket. This year in the top 16, there's a good chance you'll have four Big 12 teams, four SEC teams (with Kentucky improved play of late), and three Big East teams. That's 11 of 16 spots, which creates some complicated bracketing procedures at times. I originally had Iowa State as the 2-seed in the East, as they get "last priority" of the 2-seeds for region as they're ranked #8 in my seed list. But due to complications of then placing Creighton, Kansas, and Baylor into regions as 3-seeds, I had to shuffle where the 2-seeds were going.
    1. I believe this process is basically done by a computer program when the committee builds the bracket, but it's something to consider when you look at bracket projections online. Committee priority for placing teams is as follows:
      1. Teams from the same conference in the top 16 must be in different regions
      2. Distance to regional sites
      3. Regional balance from a competitive standpoint (AKA: S-curve seed list)
  • Building the 4/5 pods for me today took entirely too long. Why? BYU! Because BYU cannot (or better said, will not) play on Sundays, they have to be in the West or East regional. They also have to be in the Salt Lake City, Charlotte, Omaha, or Pittsburgh first weekend pods. That creates a difficult situation, especially with my current seed list where I have 3 SEC teams as 4-seeds and South Carolina as a 5-seed AND having only one Thursday/Saturday site in the 4-5 pods.
    • I ended up having to switch Auburn from Salt Lake City pod to Spokane pod even though they are closer to SLC.
    • I also had to be okay with a potential Clemson/Alabama regular season rematch in round 2 rather than a potential conference rematch with South Carolina.
    • I also had to be okay with BYU going to Salt Lake City and potentially having a huge homecourt advantage over the higher-seeded Kentucky in round 2. Imagine this scenario. We'd never hear the end of it from Calipari.
    • Because of BYU's setup, don't be surprised on Selection Sunday if they get moved down a seed line if need be in order to make sure they get into a Thursday/Saturday setup. This is a last resort for the committee, but if it's easier to solve their "we don't play on Sundays" situation this way rather than moving a bunch of other teams around, they'll do it. This is what occurred in 2012 when BYU was in the First Four and BYU/Iona were seeded as a 14-seed to make it work.
  • With Marquette being without Kolek for at least the next two games (vs. UConn, at Xavier), it's possible Iowa State could/will pass them if ISU wins both games this week.
  • 26 through 38 on my seed list is incredibly close right now. I could see any of those teams being seeded anywhere on the 7-8-9-10 line, which feels a bit abnormal for this late in the year.

Last edited:

NiceMarmot

Oct 25, 2017
What odds do you give Indiana State or Drake as an at-large? @NiceMarmot

I have Drake as my 3rd team out right now. Indiana State would have a better case than Drake, just due to slightly better computer/resume metrics (but they're close). They would need to lose to the other in the MVC tournament final in my opinion to have a shot.

Ultimately, what I think will decide their chances is what happens in the American and A-10 conference tournaments. Every bubble team needs to root for Florida Atlantic and Dayton to win those, because those two teams are getting bids no matter what. If they do win their conference tourneys, two more at-large spots immediately open up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron