Bracketology 2024

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
They'd bump one of the first 4 games down to a 12 seed. They've done it before.
That's an option - although I'm not sure how rules work for rearranging 11/12 line from "true seeding," but priorities may be more relaxed to facilitate that type of situation.

I'm not quite clear with what @mctallerton is asking or assuming, but perhaps I read it too quickly. How would the 6/11 (and by extension, the First Four) be locked into a Thursday regional placement, at least as it pertains to ISU/Baylor 2/3 seed swap?

I assume they can shift an 11 first-four out of true seed alignment to accommodate Th/F.

To reiterate, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the original question.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I think you might have the regions wrong. There are some distance issues, but the balance just barely works.

Based on your seed list, Tennessee would go to Detroit as that is its closest region. If you flip UNC and Tennesse, UNC would go to detroit as its closer than boston. Arizona goes West, Marquette South and ISU East.
Baylor would be MW, Creighton West (can't be East or South), Kansas East (can't be south) and Kentucky (south)
Illinois South (can't be MW) Duke MW, Alabama East and Auburn W

Big 12 has both Iowa State and Kansas in the East. Not allowed.
SEC is in MW, South, East, West (not allowed
Big 10 is in MW and South
Big East is East, South and West
Pac 12 is West
ACC is West and MW

How to fix Kansas and Iowa State. Can't move Kansas. Creighton can't go to the East due to UConn and Kansas can't go south due to Houston.
Can you move Iowa State? Iowa State would need to go West, meaning Arizona goes East. That really sucks for Arizona. It probably means Iowa State West, Arizona South, but Marquette can't go east. Arizona to the East is probably the only way.

Now MW has Purdue (1), Tennessee (5), Baylor (9) and Duke (14) for a total of 29
East has Uconn (2), Arizona (6), Kansas (11) and Alabama (15) for a total of 34
South has Houston (3), Marquette (7), Kentucky (12) and Illinois (13) for a total of 35.
West has UNC (4), Iowa State (8), Creighton (10) and Auburn (16) for a total of 38

Generally, there should be no more than a gap of 5, so we have a problem. How do you fix it? It is a cluster. You could swap Tennessee, Baylor for ISU, Creighton but that has 2 SEC teams in the West. You swap Arizona and Tennessee and Duke/Alabama

Now MW has Purdue (1), Iowa State (8), Creighton (10) and Alabama (16) for a total of 35
East has Uconn (2), Tennessee(5), Kansas (11) and Duke (14) for a total of 32
South has Houston (3), Marquette (7), Kentucky (12) and Illinois (13) for a total of 35.
West has UNC (4), Arizona (6), Baylor (9) and Auburn (15) for a total of 34

Your MW is Purdue (1), Marquette (7), Baylor (9) and Alabama (16) for a total of 33
Your East has Uconn (2), Iowa State (8), Kentucky (12) and Duke (14) for a total of 36
Your South has Houston (3), Tennessee (5), Creighton (10) and Illinois (13) for a total of 31
Your West has UNC (4), Arizona (6), Kansas (11) and Auburn (15) for a total of 36

Mine has better balance, but yours does save hurt Marquette more than Iowa State. Would the committee like more balance at the expense of benefiting #8 over #7? I don't know.
Great analysis, but now you’re really starting to make my head hurt :)

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu and clone52

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That team didn't make the finals. Lost to OSU in the semi's. Conference was loaded that year with Kansas, OSU, Missouri, and OU being really good.
Yes, competitive league that season. Six of eight teams made the tournament.

Big 8 didn't perform so hot in the tournament. (1) KU bounced by UTEP in R32, 4 seed OU lost in first round to then-Southwestern Louisiana (eventually UL Lafayette, now Louisiana). Missouri played to its seeding (5). Oklahoma State was a 2, lost in Sweet 16 to Fab Five v. 1. Nebraska lost in first round, of course.

Iowa State advanced past (7) Charlotte (then-UNC-Charlotte) and gave Kentucky a decent scare.

Last edited:
Reactions: ca4cy

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Yes, competitive league that season. Six of eight teams made the tournament.

Big 8 didn't perform so hot in the tournament. (1) KU bounced by UTEP in R32, 4 seed OU lost in first round to then-Southwestern Louisiana (eventually UL Lafayette, now Louisiana). Missouri played to its seeding (5). Oklahoma State was a 2, lost in Sweet 16 to Fab Five v. 1. Nebraska lost in first round, of course.

Iowa State advanced past (7) Charlotte (then-UNC-Charlotte) and gave Kentucky a decent scare.
Best ball game I've ever attended that season too..OSU in overtime

Reactions: cyclones500

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think we would have a legit argument
Had we beaten K State in Manhattan and then won the conference tournament with all of the above teams losing in theirs early MAYBE but even then doubtful. No chance in hell after that K State loss.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Had we beaten K State in Manhattan and then won the conference tournament with all of the above teams losing in theirs early MAYBE but even then doubtful. No chance in hell after that K State loss.
This is NOT a complaint about our non conf scheduling, but I think our non con still would have kept us off the 1 line.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu and ClubCy

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Detroit is closer to Chapel Hill then Boston.
The question is if they win the ACC do they get the last 1 seed?
I think Arizona is still in the drivers seat for the last 1 seed in the West. It’s kind of a race to see who can survive against all the bad teams left in the ACC and Pac 12 tourneys.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Forgive me for what is probably a dumb question but if we get placed in Omaha it’s West or East region for us, correct?