Bracketology 2024

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I have a feeling that a couple Big 12 teams are going to get left out now at the final hour because the Committee is going to forget they had to play superior competition the last 18 games of the season. Somebody like Texas, TCU or Oklahoma gets left out because, oh look, that St Johns came on at the end and got to 20 wins! Or, well Villanova is 18-15 but they had some close losses. Indiana is the hottest team going right now! Hope I'm wrong, but just not convinced the national narrative gives the Big 12 its due at crunch time here.
Villanova and Indiana have no chance. What will really hurt a team like Oklahoma is if NC State and Oregon both win tonight.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I know Lunardi is a clown but right now he has us #2 in the east versus Soith Dakota State then winner of Texas A&M and Clemson). Thankfully in Omaha but that’s not a great bracket.
If it’s in Purdue’s region I dont give a rip who we play first and second rounds. Especially knowing we’ll be in Hilton West. I’d even take Drake.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Was anybody paying attention to know what face value was for single session tix in Omaha? Just wondering how much they're marked up now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If it’s in Purdue’s region I dont give a rip who we play first and second rounds. Especially knowing we’ll be in Hilton West. I’d even take Drake.

Definitely don't want Drake. Not that we're not way better than them, we are, but they will be playing with a lot of extra motivation to be an instate big brother. We don't need that.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Right now, I’d say it’s 90% likely we’re the 2 seed in the East. I think to get 2-seed in the Midwest we’d have jump Marquette. Would have been nice if they had lost that OT game to Villanova.

Would us winning today and them losing be enough for us to jump them?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Was anybody paying attention to know what face value was for single session tix in Omaha? Just wondering how much they're marked up now.
No idea, but I paid around $210 total after fees and taxes for the entire 4 games Thursday. I got them a month ago so not sure how much they are now.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Play in the NCAA Tournament Enough Times, and a program will run into every scenario. While being in Omaha (which is a lock) in the first two rounds will be GREAT and being in Boston in the East Regional would not be the first choice, neither guarantees success (Omaha) or failure (Boston). ISU has lost in Milwaukee (to Purdue) in the 2nd round and been to the Sweet 16 @ Chicago twice in the recent past and lost to ACC teams (Virginia and Miami (Fla.).

Its also not like weird things only happen to ISU. UCLA ended their 7 year reign as National Champion in 1974 playing NC State @ Greensboro (Brutal!), and the Bruins have been sent all over the place in the past 25 years or so-*. So, it's best to just lace 'em up as ISU fans, support the Cyclones and enjoy the ride. At the end of the day, a Champion should be able to beat any other team in any other venue in the NCAA Tournament.

So, beat the Cougars in Hilton South, earn another Big XII Tournament Championship Banner to hang @ Hilton and off to Omaha where the OTHER teams worry about playing ISU in Hilton West! Boston, L.A. or Detroit in the Regional really does not matter to me. If ISU makes it to the Sweet 16, there are going to be tough teams waiting to play in all three locations.

Let's Go State!

*Edit* I've personally seen the Bruins play @ Auburn Hills (Sweet 16), @ Louisville (First Round) and @ Dayton (First Four).

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Right now, I’d say it’s 90% likely we’re the 2 seed in the East. I think to get 2-seed in the Midwest we’d have jump Marquette. Would have been nice if they had lost that OT game to Villanova.

So what’s more important, geography or seed line? If they think Purdue is the #1 overall (I don’t, but it seems a popular pick), wouldn’t they align them with the #8 team? Or do they not care and put the 2 seeds in regions irregardless of their placement 5-8 and how those align with 1-4?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

If we stay 8th in the S curve and Purdue is the top seed we will be in the Midwest.

I think it is getting late to change the seeds for the top 8 teams.

• Disagree
Reactions: nrg4isu

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
That's an option - although I'm not sure how rules work for rearranging 11/12 line from "true seeding," but priorities may be more relaxed to facilitate that type of situation.

I'm not quite clear with what @mctallerton is asking or assuming, but perhaps I read it too quickly. How would the 6/11 (and by extension, the First Four) be locked into a Thursday regional placement, at least as it pertains to ISU/Baylor 2/3 seed swap?

I assume they can shift an 11 first-four out of true seed alignment to accommodate Th/F.

To reiterate, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the original question.
I had read a couple different bracketologists talking about shifting seeds around to accommodate sites on the 2/3/4 lines make sure that there was a 3 seed game on Thursday/Saturday and one on Friday/Sunday. It seemed odd to me that they would switch the higher seed lines to do this, but enough we're talking that it made it seem like the committee would keep the play-in as a 11 seed matchup.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I have a feeling that a couple Big 12 teams are going to get left out now at the final hour because the Committee is going to forget they had to play superior competition the last 18 games of the season. Somebody like Texas, TCU or Oklahoma gets left out because, oh look, that St Johns came on at the end and got to 20 wins! Or, well Villanova is 18-15 but they had some close losses. Indiana is the hottest team going right now! Hope I'm wrong, but just not convinced the national narrative gives the Big 12 its due at crunch time here.

Honestly, who cares? ISU and Houston are the cream of the crop. All that matters is that ISU takes care of whoever is in front of them and win the whole thing. This team is more than capable. Get a great draw and this team can win it ALL!

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Honestly, who cares? ISU and Houston are the cream of the crop. All that matters is that ISU takes care of whoever is in front of them and win the whole thing. This team is more than capable. Get a great draw and this team can win it ALL!
This is absolutely insane to think about, even if it is extremely true

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
There’s a difference in region preference from those of us hoping to attend Sweet Sixteen vs those who are solely planning to watch on tv.

• Agree
Reactions: Raiders70

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
So what’s more important, geography or seed line? If they think Purdue is the #1 overall (I don’t, but it seems a popular pick), wouldn’t they align them with the #8 team? Or do they not care and put the 2 seeds in regions irregardless of their placement 5-8 and how those align with 1-4?
Originally, I thought Seed Line. But @NiceMarmot set me straight that it still goes off geography at the regional level (just like the first weekend is) as long the overall 5 seed isn’t with the overall 1 seed and all other rules remain in place (no other 4-seed or better teams from same conference in the same region, etc.).

We can’t go to the South since Houston will be the 1 there. Since, Boston is closer to Ames that would be our preference versus LA (even though it really isn’t). So our only hope to avoid the East region would be to leapfrog Marquette to get preference for Detroit over the Golden Eagles.

Last edited:

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Don't forget OU is moving to the mighty SE(SPN)C, selection committee will likely consider this important achievement.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Only ways we avoid Boston is

A. We move up to #6 ahead of Tennessee and Marquette.

B. We somehow jump to the final 1 seed and head west.

If B happens we'd be everyone popular early exit victim.

How ******* stupid would you have to be to mark this dumb? @cyclonestunners

Last edited: