BRACKETS: ISU mostly on the 6-line heading into tournament week

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Does Chicago come to mind...? We all know how that home court advantage didn't matter last year. That was 80%+ ISU fans.

I don't think the best response to the statement "Having more fans in the arena is an advantage" is saying "But sometimes home teams lose."

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
The best bracket of the past week was NBC's, which was similar to Lunardi's for the first weekend but better for the rest.

It also had #6 Iowa State in Milwaukee matching up with #3 Butler in the round of 32. But it had Iowa State in the Midwest region, meaning the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 would be in Kansas City.

And the 2 seed, who ISU would likely meet if it advanced to the S16, was Arizona. Considering Iowa State vs. Arizona in Kansas City would be a Cyclone-heavy crowd, if it were called a semi-home game for ISU, the Cyclones would actually be favorites in that game according to KenPom.

And then of course the 1 seed in the region was Kansas. If all went well... Iowa State vs. Kansas in the Sprint Center in the Elite 8.

That would be amazing.

Goofyguy1

Feb 18, 2017
In this case, it is absolutely true.
Possibly we make the game Sat and a freak blizzard happens Sat morning with 10 inches of snow and game delayed till Sunday? Or the game is on Sat and it has like a billion OT and goes into Sunday. Also, pigs will fly.

cyclone19702

Sep 4, 2015
Even if we lose Thursday I highly doubt we move out of the 6 seed. There is much more to gain from playing another top 50 RPI opponent. If we do win we are still a six seed with an outside chance at a five seed. It is much more likely for Butler to fall off the three line then it is for us to fall off the six line.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Even if we lose Thursday I highly doubt we move out of the 6 seed. There is much more to gain from playing another top 50 RPI opponent. If we do win we are still a six seed with an outside chance at a five seed. It is much more likely for Butler to fall off the three line then it is for us to fall off the six line.

In my view, dropping from 6 to 7 is likely only if ISU loses to OSU, then having enough teams near that line to leap-frog. If SMC happens to beat Gonzaga in WCC final, Gaels could climb to 6.

Creighton might have to win more than one game in Big East tournament to avoid a 7 seed. Most of the remaining teams vying for the position are Big Ten (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland) and any of those would need at least an additional meaningful win.

Dayton is in 8 range and couldn't rise above a 7 even with A-10 regular-season/tournament combo. South Carolina could get to a 6 by winning SEC tournament, maybe. AAC teams already are in 5/6 range, they're no threat for Iowa State dropping.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Anything out West and I'm there, but hope we end up going to whatever helps us win.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I would say we are definitely a 6 seed right now and a win over Okie State would solidify our 6 seed. Finishing in 4th gave us a horrible draw in the conference tourney as we would likely be facing Kansas if we beat Okie State. Here is my guess on all the possible outcomes:

Lose to Okie State - 6 seed still likely, maybe a 7 seed
Beat Okie State and lose to Kansas - 6 seed
Beat Kansas and lose in the championship - 5 seed
Beat Baylor or WVU in the championship - 4 seed
Beat anybody other than Baylor or WVU in the championship - 5 seed

Just my $0.02, but I'm no bracket maker and they always seed a few schools ridiculously high or low at times.

Reactions: NoCreativity

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would say we are definitely a 6 seed right now and a win over Okie State would solidify our 6 seed. Finishing in 4th gave us a horrible draw in the conference tourney as we would likely be facing Kansas if we beat Okie State. Here is my guess on all the possible outcomes:

Lose to Okie State - 6 seed still likely, maybe a 7 seed
Beat Okie State and lose to Kansas - 6 seed
Beat Kansas and lose in the championship - 5 seed
Beat Baylor or WVU in the championship - 4 seed
Beat anybody other than Baylor or WVU in the championship - 5 seed

Just my $0.02, but I'm no bracket maker and they always seed a few schools ridiculously high or low at times.

I agree with this. Ill only add to get the 4 seed, we would prob need some teams currently projected in the 4-5 range to have early exits this week, and likewise, to fall to the 7 seed, you would need to have some teams currently projected in the 7-8 range to have a good week.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMO, we need to win Thursday in order to keep that 6 seed. I feel like losing that game will "give" our 6 seed to OSU. Or...

3449086.jpg

I think the bracketologists have overvalued OSU due to their hot streak and their own tendencies to put out a new bracket constantly. I think we're a 6 regardless. Possible 5 if we also beat KU.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I think the bracketologists have overvalued OSU due to their hot streak and their own tendencies to put out a new bracket constantly. I think we're a 6 regardless. Possible 5 if we also beat KU.

If we beat the AP #27 and #1 team this week, we should absolutely move to a 5 seed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron