BRACKETS: ISU mostly on the 6-line heading into tournament week

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Saying any 3-seed is a nightmare is overstating things. Butler is 23rd in KenPom, one spot above us. I know they have a reputation for playing slow and being physical, but their defense is 50th in KenPom. Butler would likely be favored by no more than 3.

Yeah, I agree. Often there is not even going to be much of a difference between the 3 seed and an 11 seed in a bracket. Maybe just 2-3 points. And it seems like most years there is a 11 seed that is actually favored to beat a 6.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Plus check out the other #3 seed locations.

#3 UCLA in Sacramento - NOPE
#3 Florida State in Orlando - NOPE
#3 Arizona in SLC - NOPE

ISU would bring a lot of fans to Milwaukee for the #3 game against Butler.

Yikes! UCLA might be our easiest matchup of those 3, they cant defend. I wouldnt want anything to do with Florida States length, although their lack of tournament success could be in our advantage in that one.

Arizona, just no!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Plus check out the other #3 seed locations.

#3 UCLA in Sacramento - NOPE
#3 Florida State in Orlando - NOPE
#3 Arizona in SLC - NOPE

ISU would bring a lot of fans to Milwaukee for the #3 game against Butler.

DSM to SLC isn't much further than Tucson to SLC. Maybe like an hour longer flight.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The best bracket of the past week was NBC's, which was similar to Lunardi's for the first weekend but better for the rest.

It also had #6 Iowa State in Milwaukee matching up with #3 Butler in the round of 32. But it had Iowa State in the Midwest region, meaning the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 would be in Kansas City.

And the 2 seed, who ISU would likely meet if it advanced to the S16, was Arizona. Considering Iowa State vs. Arizona in Kansas City would be a Cyclone-heavy crowd, if it were called a semi-home game for ISU, the Cyclones would actually be favorites in that game according to KenPom.

And then of course the 1 seed in the region was Kansas. If all went well... Iowa State vs. Kansas in the Sprint Center in the Elite 8.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yikes! UCLA might be our easiest matchup of those 3, they cant defend. I wouldnt want anything to do with Florida States length, although their lack of tournament success could be in our advantage in that one.

Arizona, just no!

Obviously, we'd be underdogs in against both FSU and UA, but I wouldn't be particularly scared to face either of them. They're tall, athletic, and talented, but also very young. We can beat them by making less mistakes than they do and being hard to guard on the perimeter.

Reactions: SCyclone

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The best bracket of the past week was NBC's, which was similar to Lunardi's for the first weekend but better for the rest.

It also had #6 Iowa State in Milwaukee matching up with #3 Butler in the round of 32. But it had Iowa State in the Midwest region, meaning the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 would be in Kansas City.

And the 2 seed, who ISU would likely meet if it advanced to the S16, was Arizona. Considering Iowa State vs. Arizona in Kansas City would be a Cyclone-heavy crowd, if it were called a semi-home game for ISU, the Cyclones would actually be favorites in that game according to KenPom.

And then of course the 1 seed in the region was Kansas. If all went well... Iowa State vs. Kansas in the Sprint Center in the Elite 8.
I would pay big $ for this to happen.
Kansas vs ISU at the Sprint Center for a trip to the Final Four. KC would love this too.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that "always" and "never" are two of the most dangerous words in the English language.

Followed closely by the girlfriend saying:
"Let's talk".....

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

Does Chicago come to mind...? We all know how that home court advantage didn't matter last year. That was 80%+ ISU fans.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They need to win to solidify their spot> don't give the committee a reason to move you down a line.