Brackets released

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We would have to beat #10 seed Minnesota at their place in the second round to get to the Seattle regional, as we were not one of the top 16 seeds.
BTW, Seattle region is stacked, with Nebraska, Cal, and Hawaii. By far the toughest regional.
Penn State virtually guaranteed to get to the Final Four - what an easy draw for them. UNI their toughest foe? Good god...

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
looks like a nice draw for the ladies. that said, i have 0 knowledge of the sport

Hopefully, get past the 1st game, then take on Minny on their floor? Pretty tough. If we could get to Seattle, there are cheap, direct flights out of KC. Might keep some of the Nebby fans at home, maybe.

Playing Creighton will tell how hard UNI had it in the MVC. UNI is the TCU of volleyball. I don't care that they beat 2 decent teams out of conference. They still play nobody through their conference season. We could lose and I'd still say it, cause we aren't playing very well. 4-4 over our last 8.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
UNI is 30-2, with only losses coming to highly ranked Dayton, and highly ranked ISU @ ISU. And has wins over highly ranked Minnesota @Minnesota, and @ Kansas, and @ Notre Dame.

UNI went undefeated (for two straight seasons) in a conference that produced 4 NCAA tournament teams. To say we play "nobody" is ridiculous.

hawkclone11

Dec 13, 2008
Also for what it's worth, Minnesota just beat Penn St. in 5 sets last night up there...so they'll most likely have a ton of confidence and energy coming into the tournament. NDSU could give the Gophers a tough test though as they've played well this year and they managed to take a set off of us early in the season.

If we can find a way to rebound from last night's loss, I think we have a decent shot of getting through our regional. Seattle would be a fun trip! :yes:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Hopefully, get past the 1st game, then take on Minny on their floor? Pretty tough. If we could get to Seattle, there are cheap, direct flights out of KC. Might keep some of the Nebby fans at home, maybe.

Playing Creighton will tell how hard UNI had it in the MVC. UNI is the TCU of volleyball. I don't care that they beat 2 decent teams out of conference. They still play nobody through their conference season. We could lose and I'd still say it, cause we aren't playing very well. 4-4 over our last 8.

Well, UNI swept Wichita State, which is kinda impressive. I wouldn't call them a nobody. WSU's RPI is higher than ours.
We had a mediocre record in a "down" Big 12.
As far as conference strength, Wichita playing OU in the first round will tell a lot too...

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
I'm curious about the NCAA bracket principles. Obviously they seed what they believe are the top 16 teams. After that? And locations? 5 teams from the Big 12, put into only three regions. 4 from the MVC - in two regions. Why not spread them out? And if the bracket would hold form - Nebraska (#2) goes west to Seattle and Stanford(#3) goes east to Dayton - with Dayton in the same bracket as the 14 seed?

Must be some method to the madness. Thanks in advance if someone can explain it.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
UNI is 30-2, with only losses coming to highly ranked Dayton, and highly ranked ISU @ ISU. And has wins over highly ranked Minnesota @Minnesota, and @ Kansas, and @ Notre Dame.

UNI went undefeated (for two straight seasons) in a conference that produced 4 NCAA tournament teams. To say we play "nobody" is ridiculous.

MShippo3792.jpg

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley

Dayton may be good, and are ranked, as is Minnesota. I wouldn't call us "highly ranked". In fact, after last night we would have fallen, again. Who knows how far. But, I notice Kansas isn't anywhere in the field or is Notre Dame. I don't care about last year, we're talking about this year.

I think your record is bringing the conference up, and getting it some props. More teams in. We'll see how it plays out. It's my "OPINION" that UNI getting a #5 seed is ridiculous. Enjoy your tourney.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm curious about the NCAA bracket principles. Obviously they seed what they believe are the top 16 teams. After that? And locations? 5 teams from the Big 12, put into only three regions. 4 from the MVC - in two regions. Why not spread them out? And if the bracket would hold form - Nebraska (#2) goes west to Seattle and Stanford(#3) goes east to Dayton - with Dayton in the same bracket as the 14 seed?

Must be some method to the madness. Thanks in advance if someone can explain it.

The top 16 teams are spread out to balance out the four brackets. That's the number one priority.
Subregional teams and sites are selected to minimize number of flights required subject to some other rules (1 team per conference in each subregional, 400 mile flight threshold etc..)

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Well, UNI swept Wichita State, which is kinda impressive. I wouldn't call them a nobody. WSU's RPI is higher than ours.
We had a mediocre record in a "down" Big 12.
As far as conference strength, Wichita playing OU in the first round will tell a lot too...

Wichita beat OU in one of the first matches of their season, already. In Norman. "Nobody" may be harsh, but a choice of word to convey an idea. We had to run through OU, TU, NU, MU all twice (not to mention KU, which was mentioned). I don't feel playing the 6 games in their conference against the other teams in the field is equal to that. But, I'm really not trying to compare us to them. I know we don't deserve a ranking right now. I just thought their's is too high.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
We beat UNI correct?

I think UNI may have a tougher first match that we do. They at least have the home court advantage.

We will also find out how the Big 12 stacks up against the Missouri Valley with three first round match-ups. It happens to be the lower three of the five Big 12 teams, though.

Last edited:

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Dayton may be good, and are ranked, as is Minnesota. I wouldn't call us "highly ranked". In fact, after last night we would have fallen, again. Who knows how far. But, I notice Kansas isn't anywhere in the field or is Notre Dame. I don't care about last year, we're talking about this year.

I think your record is bringing the conference up, and getting it some props. More teams in. We'll see how it plays out. It's my "OPINION" that UNI getting a #5 seed is ridiculous. Enjoy your tourney.

Actually, when we played UNI, I believe we were ranked in the top 10 or 12; that qualifies as highly ranked for me.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
This is a pretty good Iowa State volleyball team, but certainly not our best over the past 3 years. The early season injury to our All-American candidate hurt alot. That being said, I think we got an excellent draw in this years tournament. We can beat Minnesota up there, they don't hold a candle to Nebraska or Texas.

Christy said in her post match interview vs. Texas that she felt the girls played awfully well. Her timing would be consistent with past years and that is playing our best volleyball at tournament time.

I like our chances of getting out of Minneapolis. I also think we are capable of beating California. Nebraska is the match we need to play at our highest level to go to the Final Four. Are we capable? Yes we are. Good luck ladies.