Break up of the ACC

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think Miami is SEC. It’ll be interesting, because I think the school is Big10, but their athletics scream SEC.

I could also see NC state going SEC as well. It would give the conference a new state, and I’m sure there are plenty of SEC fans already living in the state. They’re my dark horse for the SEC.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Latest click bait has North Carolina, Duke, Miami, and Ga. Tech to BIG; N. C. State, Louisville, Pittsburg, and Va. Tech to BIG 12; and Clemson and Fla. State to SEC.
I've honestly quit even trying to keep track. Where would that put the B1G including USC and UCLA? 20? 24? Let's just let the NBA/NFL fund it and get it over with.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Everyone has FSU to SEC and that makes sense. Leaving Miami to Big10?

I have doubts Miami is a good cultural fit for the Big10. And its not an AAU school. So if the Big10 wants a Florida school, why not pursue FSU? Also not an AAU school.

That leaves Miami for the SEC. And the SEC will have a school in North and South Florida.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I really don’t see the Big 10 gobbling up the ACC. Number 1, getting Duke hurts the Big 10 in its payout, because they are the worst ACC team in terms of viewership for football from what I have seen. (I get the basketball and academic angle). No. 2, if the Big 10 gets those teams, they will end up having some of the worst teams for viewership. Duke, Rutgers, Maryland and Georgia Tech, to go along with Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota? If the Big 12 can get those teams that were mentioned, then it’s a win for the Big 12 and SEC.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
SEC will get more than two teams, ESPN can break up the acc whenever they'd like, they just have to find homes for 8 of them so the league can dissolve. Since they own both the SEC end acc, the SEC will get first dibs on any acc teams.

ESPN doesn't benefit from anyone going to big ten so their best bet is to get 4 teams into the SEC and 4 to the big 12. That gives them the 8 they need.

ESPN has too good a deal right now to want any of this but they hold all the cards. Big ten will get teams they prefer but they'll have to watch it all unfold first.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
SEC will get more than two teams, ESPN can break up the acc whenever they'd like, they just have to find homes for 8 of them so the league can dissolve. Since they own both the SEC end acc, the SEC will get first dibs on any acc teams.

ESPN doesn't benefit from anyone going to big ten so their best bet is to get 4 teams into the SEC and 4 to the big 12. That gives them the 8 they need.

ESPN has too good a deal right now to want any of this but they hold all the cards. Big ten will get teams they prefer but they'll have to watch it all unfold first.
Not sure what you mean by this? Once the ACC firesale starts, it's not like the SEC can start poaching but everyone else has to wait.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
i personally would like to see NC, NC State, Duke, VT Tech to Big 12.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Don’t know the validity but sign me up. Add Colorado and anyone else not named Utah because **** those guys and we got a super sweet conference

Reactions: surly

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

They need 8 schools that don’t have a landing spot lined up to vote to dissolve. Schools most likely lose their vote if they have a vested interest in the conference dissolving. This wouldn’t be unique, in fact, it would be weird if this wasn’t a ACC bylaw.

I don’t thing this gets done unless all 14 + ND have a nice landing spot and a sweetener, but I don’t think everyone has enough value (looking at you, WF, BC, Syracuse). All it would take would be 1 school to make it a protracted legal battle.

Additionally, ND’s independence is partially reliant on having the ACC for 5 FB games and all the rest of their sports. I don’t expect them to go quietly, particularly if they get a new NBC deal that puts them in B10 territory money-wise. Losing the ACC creates a lot of headaches for them.

The big problem is, the GOR is specifically designed to not be broken. That’s the whole point. Everyone who could conceivably have the money to break the GOR (SEC, B10, ESPN, Fox) is making money hand over fist with the status quo. The only ones missing out are the schools who the B10 or SEC would pick up if they were available, and I don’t think there’s nearly enough ROI to put up the money it would take at this point.

If we get under 5 years out from the GOR expiration we can start to talk. Until then, FSU et al’s best bet is finding a legal workaround to invalidate it. Best of luck with that!

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
They need 8 schools that don’t have a landing spot lined up to vote to dissolve. Schools most likely lose their vote if they have a vested interest in the conference dissolving. This wouldn’t be unique, in fact, it would be weird if this wasn’t a ACC bylaw.

I don’t thing this gets done unless all 14 + ND have a nice landing spot and a sweetener, but I don’t think everyone has enough value (looking at you, WF, BC, Syracuse). All it would take would be 1 school to make it a protracted legal battle.

Additionally, ND’s independence is partially reliant on having the ACC for 5 FB games and all the rest of their sports. I don’t expect them to go quietly, particularly if they get a new NBC deal that puts them in B10 territory money-wise. Losing the ACC creates a lot of headaches for them.

The big problem is, the GOR is specifically designed to not be broken. That’s the whole point. Everyone who could conceivably have the money to break the GOR (SEC, B10, ESPN, Fox) is making money hand over fist with the status quo. The only ones missing out are the schools who the B10 or SEC would pick up if they were available, and I don’t think there’s nearly enough ROI to put up the money it would take at this point.

If we get under 5 years out from the GOR expiration we can start to talk. Until then, FSU et al’s best bet is finding a legal workaround to invalidate it. Best of luck with that!

If they really wanted to dissolve it/other conferences want them to dissolve it… they aren’t going to have loose lips and tell everyone the plan. There would have to be a whole lot of back room dealings, secrets, winks and nods to pull it off.

But yeah odds are something somewhere gets leaked in this day and age. Especially with that many schools, conferences, and media companies involved.

Texas and Oklahoma still had a vote in the Big12, until just the few days-week(?) before it was officially announced they applied to the SEC for membership.