Brent Metcalf and Mike Zadick joining coaching Staff

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
This gets me excited to go to Cyclone Wrestling meets again! Really enjoyed going to a packed Hilton back in the day.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Love the hires! Now i'd like to see CRTC put a youth program in place like how Penn State has the young guns. Personally i'd give TJ Sebolt a call. With Sebolt wrestling academy putting out some of the top talent in the state in the youth department you now have them growing up around the cyclone wresting brand. Hopefully Give ISU a leg up with in state recruiting. Just a thought.
Would not connect my program with Sebolt's!

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: cyputz and Brandon

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would not connect my program with Sebolt's!

Agree here.

Besides, there are two, him and his dad each run a site. He makes a killing with his club so I doubt he would give it up.

A better route is to go UNI route. Have the CWC or rtc guys make a few extra bucks with a youth club.

• Useful
Reactions: cyputz

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I think the staff that KD has in place is sure to get our program going in the right direction (not that that's hard). I like what they can bring to the table. Hope their recruiting is top notch as that's where it all starts.

I still wonder how they plan to develop the 197 and 285 class without a coach to wrestle with them and be their go-to coach. I'm sure it can be done, just wonder what the plan is.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the staff that KD has in place is sure to get our program going in the right direction (not that that's hard). I like what they can bring to the table. Hope their recruiting is top notch as that's where it all starts.

I still wonder how they plan to develop the 197 and 285 class without a coach to wrestle with them and be their go-to coach. I'm sure it can be done, just wonder what the plan is.

This is about everyone in the CWC right now. Guessing that is the plan.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is tough for me. I HATED Zadick jumping around like a maniac on the Brands sideline and HATED Metcalf's robotic demeanor. But as you guys have already mentioned, the Hawkeyes couldn't begin their dynasty without a Cyclone at the helm, so I suppose I can get used to it. It helps that Dresser doesn't see eye to eye with Brands. Still hard not to think about what could've been with Cael. At the least, the Cy-Hawk duals are going to be an experience again.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Did we ever have any Cyclones coach in Iowa City in the Gable and since era? Was Backes there a short time or am I dreaming that?

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Did we ever have any Cyclones coach in Iowa City in the Gable and since era? Was Backes there a short time or am I dreaming that?
Yes...Backes was there and they really like him. Thought he was a good coach.

Reactions: matclone

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
Love the hires! Now i'd like to see CRTC put a youth program in place like how Penn State has the young guns. Personally i'd give TJ Sebolt a call. With Sebolt wrestling academy putting out some of the top talent in the state in the youth department you now have them growing up around the cyclone wresting brand. Hopefully Give ISU a leg up with in state recruiting. Just a thought.
Young guns has no ties to penn state other than some of their products now wrestle for them or are committed to them. Kemerer is also a product of young guns as is spencer Lee

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

minnesotaCY10

Feb 14, 2017
Young guns has no ties to penn state other than some of their products now wrestle for them or are committed to them. Kemerer is also a product of young guns as is spencer Lee
My bad. Young guns is ran out of Pitts wrestling room. However NLWC does have a youth program as well that is ran out of PSU wrestling room. What i'm getting at is it allows the kids more exposure to the program and the wrestling room. Gives you a leg up in recruiting.

• Agree
Reactions: NYWRESTLER94

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My bad. Young guns is ran out of Pitts wrestling room. However NLWC does have a youth program as well that is ran out of PSU wrestling room. What i'm getting at is it allows the kids more exposure to the program and the wrestling room. Gives you a leg up in recruiting.
These things are basically already in place. CWC has hosted spring youth/HS practices at ISU for the past few years. CRTC also host practices but you have to meet the USA RTC criteria to participate. Not sure if KD is planning on continue the seasonal youth club, make it a full time club or just run the CRTC. His focus is on getting the CRTC up to speed at all levels (HS, College, Senior).