Brewery Discoveries on Vacation

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you need any more restaurant suggestions I got a few great recommendations for that as well

Thoughts on some of these:?

Naples 15
Brasserie V
Salvatore's Tomato Pies-One seems to be closed
Stellas
bakery-Breakfast

Ogden's North Street Diner-Breakfast
Mickies Dairy Bar-Breakfast
Canteen

Craftsman Table & Tap

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Thoughts on some of these:?

Naples 15
Brasserie V
Salvatore's Tomato Pies-One seems to be closed
Stellas
bakery-Breakfast

Ogden's North Street Diner-Breakfast
Mickies Dairy Bar-Breakfast
Canteen

Craftsman Table & Tap
You won't go wrong with most of those. I'd recommend Naples 15 and Brasserie V over the others. Old Fashioned for curds (and an old fashioned!) won't fail you either. Graze, RED, and Lucille are good as well.

For beer, you mentioned Octopi, Funk Factory and Working Draft. All great selections. I'd also add Hop Haus (new Fitchburg location is amazing) and Delta Beer Lab is an under the radar one that is a favorite of mine. Since New Glarus is closed, I'd recommend going down the Memorial Union Terrace. That's the next best place to enjoy a pitcher of Spotted Cow!

Reactions: dmclone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Heading to Milwaukee this weekend, any recommendations?

My personal favorites in Milwaukee are Lakefront (the tour is awesome) and Mobcraft. I also enjoyed the tour at Milwaukee Brewing.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Heading to Milwaukee this weekend, any recommendations?
It's been a couple of years for me but here are the places I liked:

Eagle Park-The best beer I had there
LakeFront-The coolest tap room and good tour.

I remember correctly, these are walking distance between each other.

Not taprooms but I thought Burnhearts bar was pretty cool if you're in the area. We also took a bloody mary tour, which was fun.

CloneB

Jun 7, 2014
RE: Madison - If you’re into hauling some cans/bottles back, stop into Glarner Bier Haus in New Glarus. Great selection when I was there including Equilibrium, Other Half, Black Stack, Drekker, Brewing Projekt, and, of course, New Glarus

RE: Kansas City -Didn’t see Alma Mader listed. Not sure on the venue but the beer is good. I’ve had their IPAs, Pils, and Pale Ales but good variety of styles overall

CloneB

Jun 7, 2014
Also, San Francisco area - Alvarado Street is a cool venue with good beer located in Monterrey. Half Moon Bay Brewing is pretty decent

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
On a side note, I'm probably going to keep it to myself that I think Spotted Cow is trash. I like a lot of the other specialty stuff they do but I'd rather drink Bud Light than Spotted Cow.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I really like KC Bier beer. They've got a 12 bottle pack, I think at Sam's, with 4 varieties, 3 of each. I liked all 4. One of the KC Bier beers is very unusual. I think either its the "Weizen" or the "Dunkel" flavor. I didn't like it at first but I do now. The other 3 in the 12 pack are great, more standard but really good beer IMO.

I really want to visit KC Bier Brewrey. Do they have a brewrey tour? Or just the Bavarian-style Bierhalle & Biergarten ?

edit: Here's the 12 pk Bier box from KC Bier:
KC Bier Co. – We put the i back in Bier. German-style beer in Kansas City

I haven't been back in a few years since we moved but they did tours at the time, which I think only lasted 30 minutes so. The Bierhalle itself is nice but not big, but the biergarten is big and is a nice place to hang out.

Reactions: t-noah

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Outer Banks Brewing Company in Kill Devil Hills North Carolina makes an unbelievable Lemon Grass Beer. A) Outer Banks North Carolina is a secluded paradise, B) the beer is fantastic.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
On a side note, I'm probably going to keep it to myself that I think Spotted Cow is trash. I like a lot of the other specialty stuff they do but I'd rather drink Bud Light than Spotted Cow.

I don't care much for Spotted Cow either. If someone hands me one, I'll drink it. But if I'm making a trip to New Glarus, I'm not coming back without Moon Man.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
Karben 4 and Ale Asylum are very good Madison breweries. Stop by the Old Fashioned on the square for the best burger in the city.
Dotty Dumplings Dowry has a pretty good burger and curds. Its owned by a guy from DSM who went to Roosevelt. Its won best burger in Madison many times and among the best in the country.

Reactions: dmclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I haven't been back in a few years since we moved but they did tours at the time, which I think only lasted 30 minutes so. The Bierhalle itself is nice but not big, but the biergarten is big and is a nice place to hang out.
Good to know. I wasn't able to find it at first, but finally , on their site, I found that the brewrey tour has been suspended due to covid. Makes sense, happening all over, not sure how long lasting. I'm sure it will open back someday. Thx.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Stella's Backery=Their cheesy bread was probably my favorite discovery
Greenbush Bakery=Nothing special
Farmers Market=Maybe it's better when it moves downtown but in it's current version, the DSM market is better.
Great Dane=Everyone told us to go here. We must have went to the wrong one, nothing great.
Old Fashioned=Yes, best curds I've ever had
Lucille had a 3 hour wait so we went next door to Settle Door tavern and had a good burger.
Mickies DairyBar=I love places like this. Excellent breakfast.
Salvatore's=Good pizza, good service.

Young Blood Beer company=Good/Cool location. Average beer.
Long table Beer Cafe=Best selection I found in Madison. Liked it a lot.
Steve's=Solid bottle shop
Untitled Art=Excellent beer but not worth the drive for the tap room. Octopi seems to contract brewing this beer. Just 10 or so outdoor benches.
Working Draft=This would be my regular hangout. Solid beer.
Beirgarten=If the weather is good, this would be a good option.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
My wife and I are headed to Colorado in August and we are doing a beer tour. Any recommendations in Colorado. We only have a couple of days planned and the rest is discovering good beers.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My wife and I are headed to Colorado in August and we are doing a beer tour. Any recommendations in Colorado. We only have a couple of days planned and the rest is discovering good beers.
Weldworks is a good place. A lot of other good options in that area as well but we couldn't visit them due to fires last year.